FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   QF/BA SIN lounge - Things are Changing! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1425319-qf-ba-sin-lounge-things-changing.html)

amaroo Jan 7, 2013 9:57 pm

QF/BA SIN lounge - Things are Changing!

Interesting update http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airl...sure/global/en

We're excited to let you know about the new Qantas Singapore Lounge we're developing, due to open 31 March 2013. The Qantas Singapore Lounge will feature a new standard of luxury for you to enjoy, and will replace the current Qantas and British Airways First Lounge.
A three-month construction period began on 7 January 2013 and requires closure of the current First lounge. During this time, you'll be able to use the following lounges in Singapore:

Qantas First customers and Qantas Platinum One Frequent Flyers will be able to use the Emirates Lounge
Level 3, Departure Transit Area
Turn left after immigration & take the first escalator in front of Gate C1 to Level 3
Open: 0630 - 1000; 1200 - 1530; 1800 - 0200

Qantas Platinum Frequent Flyers will have access to the current Qantas and British Airways Business Lounge
Turn left after immigration, up the escalators.
Open: 1500 - 2330

Qantas Business customers and Qantas Gold Frequent Flyers will have access to the SATS Premier Lounge
Turn left after immigration & take the first escalator on your right to Level 3
Open 24 hours

Qantas Club and Jetstar Business Max passengers will be able to use the Rainforest Lounge
Turn left after immigration & take the first escalator in front of Gate C1 to Level 3
Open 24 hours

LTN Phobia Jan 7, 2013 10:17 pm

At least they are spreading the users to more lounges, so I guess it will reduce crowding.

But isn't SATS lounge the pretty horrible one? I vaguely remember being in there once and it was a pretty poor, grim looking place with just sandwiches for food, if I recall correctly, so I used the Open Door policy for QF Platinum members at QF business class lounge to escape from it?

flashware Jan 7, 2013 10:26 pm

I presume the Rainforest one for QP members is going to be even worse than the SATS!

TravellerFrequently Jan 7, 2013 11:02 pm

I guess these arrangements apply for BA passengers and BAEC members?

KenJohn Jan 7, 2013 11:04 pm

So BA F pax and BAEC Gold members will have to slump it in the Qantas and British Airways Business Lounge?

LTN Phobia Jan 7, 2013 11:53 pm

Originally Posted by KenJohn (Post 19999425)
So BA F pax and BAEC Gold members will have to slump it in the Qantas and British Airways Business Lounge?

Sounds like it. But even standard Qantas Platinum members (Platinum One that can use the EK lounge is a bit like GGL, but with much stricter qualifying criteria in that most flights need to be on QF) have to do so too.

Swiss Tony Jan 8, 2013 12:27 am

Originally Posted by flashware (Post 19999244)
I presume the Rainforest one for QP members is going to be even worse than the SATS!

Is that possible? Whilst the current SATS lounge is considerably better than what I remember from the mid 90's, aside from the lire of free beer the terminal itself is way nicer!

thegreatmrsj Jan 8, 2013 12:30 am

So as I read it a BA gold travelling Qantas business class can either use the BA lounge or SATS - and therefore BA will be the better option

amaroo Jan 8, 2013 12:51 am

As a QF plat (OWE) I'm a little disappointed to see that Platinum is now the new Gold (OWS):td:

Can suck it up on a temporary basis for building works to proceed however, over the years QF has developed a reputation for enhancements which leave a nasty taste in the mouth.

The wording is also interesting....what was once called QF/BA - is now only the QF lounge.

BA-Flyer Jan 8, 2013 12:59 am

So once the new business-only lounge is open, will BA gold and F passengers have no access to a premium lounge?

I'm surprised it's taken this long just to get to this point. It was several months ago when they switched the lounges around and first announced their plans.

Land-of-Miles Jan 8, 2013 1:03 am

Originally Posted by BA-Flyer (Post 19999847)
So once the new business-only lounge is open, will BA gold and F passengers have no access to a premium lounge?

I'm surprised it's taken this long just to get to this point. It was several months ago when they switched the lounges around and first announced their plans.

It sounds like they are splitting the lounges into BA and QF so both airlines will have an individual single mixed lounge rather than separate lounges for J and F Passengers?

I would not be happy about this if on a short connection through SIN to SYD if flying in F (or actually even if not flying in F as a Gold).

Dan72 Jan 8, 2013 1:06 am

The lounges were switched before the EK deal and was to allow a new SYD style F lounge to be developed. This has now fallen away since the EK deal.

Perhaps BA will do something with the QF(/BA) J lounge space, presumably this will no longer be needed by QF? I think it could be big enough for J with a smaller F section, similar to other overseas stations. Although have said before that I have my doubts whether this route would justify a BA F lounge.

Interesting to know whether the new QF timetable will be compatible with the BA timetable out of SIN, if not BA will need to come up with something soon.

amaroo Jan 8, 2013 1:13 am

Looks like it - depends if BA opens a new lounge. QF will cease to fly F to or from SIN from the 1st April.

Originally Posted by BA-FLYER (Post 19999847)

When they announced the new Flounge, EK wasn't on the radar. Things changed.....they then had to wait for the draft determination from the ACCC (Australian Competition & Consumer Commission) before proceeding with firm plans. The determination was granted on the 20th Dec.

uk1 Jan 8, 2013 1:22 am

I thought the old lounge was sub-F standard, but presumably BA know this lounge changer - but on my MMB info it still has the old info

Lounges
Qantas/British Airways First Class Lounge
Location: After immigration, follow signs for airline lounges on upper level. Escalator to the left. (Lounge access is subject to capacity restrictions.)

FIRST lounges offer an environment that allows you to catch up on work or simply unwind in an area that is elegant, calm and welcoming.
I wonder when they'll update the website and whether there are any better options at SIN ie OW Saphire / PP or other?

Moomba Jan 8, 2013 1:30 am

Originally Posted by flashware (Post 19999244)

It is pretty dire.

A brief description half way down this post

Also a couple of pics here starting at the last photo in the fourth row.