Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2013, 5:41 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LDNConsultant
This is a community-maintained wiki post. Please add important information to it or correct outdated information by clicking the "Edit" button below!

Lucrative runs that have been reported under £3/TP - current availability not guaranteed
Route | Booking class | Fare | Booking channel | TPs | £/TP | credit

American Airlines

SFO-LAX-MIA-CUN | A/A/I | £498 return | aa.com | 620 TPs | £0.80/TP | chris1979
ORD-STL-DFW-SJU | A/A/I | £458 return | aa.com | 520 TPs | £0.88/TP | timezonehopper
SFO-LAX-MIA-CUN-MIA-LAX-LAS | A/A/I/I/A/A | £581 round trip | aa.com | 620 TPs | £0.94/TP | courtster
AMS-LHR-LAX-SFO-JFK-LHR-AMS | I/I/A/A/I/I | £1641 round trip | aa.com | 630 TPs | £2.60/TP | mccorry
IST-LHR/LCY-JFK-EZE-MIA-LHR-IST | I/I/I/I/I/I | £2106 round trip | aa.com | 790TPs | £2.61/TP | nth_utsera_sth_utsera
45 day advance purchase required, minimum stay 7 days.

British Airways
LGW-MLA | R | £248 return | ba.com | 160 TPs | £1.55/TP | LDNConsultant
LGW-RAK | R | £280 return | ba.com | 160 TPs | £1.75/TP | mfgr
Book by 31/12/13 for this price.
JER-LGW-AMS | J/R | £259 return | ba.com | 160 TPs | £1.62/TP | joejet
LGW-JER | R | £181 return | ba.com | 80 TPs | £2.26/TP
LGW-AMS | R | £199 return | ba.com | 80 TPs | £2.49/TP
BRU-LHR//LCY-JFK-SEA (last bit on AA) and back | I/I/A | £1,529 return | probably have to phone up | 920 TPs | £1.66/TP | stifle
Outbound 12/4-27/4 or 25/6-24/8, min stay Sat night, ticket by 2/1/14

Royal Jordanian
BEY-AMM-AQJ | D | £255 return | rj.com | 160 TPs | £1.59/TP | DeanB

Malaysia Airlines
SIN-KUL-KCH | D | S$660 return | malaysiaairlines.com | 160 TPs | £2.12/TP |HPN-HRL
DEL-KUL-BKK | Z | INR41,666 return |malaysiaairlines.com | 360TPs| £1.15/TP| Seshy
DEL-KUL-NRT | Z | INR92,395 return |malaysiaairlines.com | 560TPs| £1.64/TP| Seshy
ICN-KUL-SYD/MEL | Z | KRW1,582,600 return |malaysiaairlines.com | 560TPs| £1.65/TP| armagebedar
SIN-KUL-DXB | Z | S$1084 return | malaysiaairlines.com | 360 TPs | £1.50/TP | qasr (+long haul equipment on KUL-DXB)
SIN-KUL-TPE | Z | S$1078 return | malaysiaairlines.com | 360 TPs | £1.49/TP | qasr
SIN-KUL-DEL | Z | S$1018 return | malaysiaairlines.com | 360 TPs | £1.41/TP | qasr
SIN-KUL-KTM | Z | S$1006 return | malaysiaairlines.com | 360 TPs | £1.39/TP | qasr

Qatar Airways
CAI-DOH-BKK | £759 return | D/D/D/A | 360 TPs | £2.10/TP ExpatSomchai
DME-DOH-SGN | I | £1255 return | qatarairways.com | 560 TPs | £2.25/TP |continentalclub
Print Wikipost

BA Tier Point runs | 2013 master thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2013, 1:50 pm

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by BONDY
Hi All,

I will be in Washington in early March visiting friends (LHR - IAD in Club, Avios upgrade from WT+ thanks to my education from FT!!!!!!) and have a few days spare between 3rd and 5th March for a TP run. No target for TP. Anything between 300 and 500 will be handy.

There are those on this forum with more expertise than me at sniffing out the best deals so all pointers appreciated. I've done a few TP runs in the last few years but has always taken me ages to work something out. I know about Instant Upgrade as that's what I've used, normally DCA to JFK and then on from there but no idea how to find the most lucrative routing!

Appreciate any help
How much do you want to spend and how many TPs do you need? Rough time available?
Old Jan 21, 2013, 2:48 pm

Programs: BA GGL/GfL, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Wozza2404
How much do you want to spend and how many TPs do you need? Rough time available?
As little as possible (that's not meant to be sarcastic).

Anything over 300 TP up to say 500

I can leave DCA any time 3rd March and would want to be back latest evening 5th March.

I'm happy to have a day in a new city looking around too so does not have to be "flying intensive"

Thanks
Old Jan 21, 2013, 5:04 pm

Best time to do a tier point run

Originally Posted by shorthauldad
With so many TPs necessary, would it not actually make more sense to leave it, deliberately drop to Silver, then book a TP run early in your new membership year? Wouldn't cost that much more to regain Gold and it would be for 23 months (i.e. promoted from Silver > Gold for 2013-14 and qualify for Gold for 2014-15), not just a requalification for 2013-14 if you do it before you year end.
Hi

This point by shorthauldad got me thinking - I'm silver and just short of retaining silver currently with my membership year Aug. My OT is gold and just had his tier points reset to zero - membership year Jan. We had planned on a tier point run in April while we are in USA and I would attain enough for gold. Would it make better sense to just attain silver and do the tier point run at the end of the year/early next year to have gold for longer? I'm assuming that hubby would drop to silver for a short time

Thanks
Old Jan 22, 2013, 3:43 pm

Programs: BA Silver, United, HH, club Carlson
Well Hi there TR experts
I enquired a few weeks ago about easy way to get 490 TP as I have a US trip end of feb. so now that dates of business meetings are defined I can also plan a TR or two with your help to make it to 490.
So my flights from Ireland are:
23 feb cork - heathrow - Chicago
25 feb Chicago - Charlotteville Virginia
28 feb. depart Charlotteville Virginia in afternoon forTR then

The above in business for me as silver wil earn me 360 so any suggestions to make up the extra points ?
Old Jan 22, 2013, 3:58 pm

Programs: BA Bronze
Originally Posted by mrkdips
Well Hi there TR experts
I enquired a few weeks ago about easy way to get 490 TP as I have a US trip end of feb. so now that dates of business meetings are defined I can also plan a TR or two with your help to make it to 490.
So my flights from Ireland are:
23 feb cork - heathrow - Chicago
25 feb Chicago - Charlotteville Virginia
28 feb. depart Charlotteville Virginia in afternoon forTR then

The above in business for me as silver wil earn me 360 so any suggestions to make up the extra points ?
I'm not an expert by any means on US TP runs but I do a few flights in and out of CHO every year as I have family there. It's a well connected little airport and I think the longest distance flight out is probably going to take you back to ORD. try looking at flights with AA to SFO - I got a ridiculously good deal on that route last year - see what it throws up.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 4:01 pm

Programs: BA Bronze
Failing that why not just do the one in the sticky?

ORD-STL-DFW-SJU | A/A/I | £478 return | aa.com | 520 TPs | £0.92/TP
Old Jan 22, 2013, 4:02 pm

Programs: BA Gold, A3 White, HH Gold, Accor Plat.
Originally Posted by shorthauldad
With so many TPs necessary, would it not actually make more sense to leave it, deliberately drop to Silver, then book a TP run early in your new membership year? Wouldn't cost that much more to regain Gold and it would be for 23 months (i.e. promoted from Silver > Gold for 2013-14 and qualify for Gold for 2014-15), not just a requalification for 2013-14 if you do it before you year end.
I'm glad you brought this up, I was just thinking about posting about this.

This is my current thinking on utilising the extra year of status, I am now in my "free" year of gold, so am planning to utilise the benefit of gold and the stash of avios from last year to do as much flying as i can find redemptions for, earning as little tp's and spending the least amount of cash possible this year, then when i drop to silver, get back to gold asap and enjoy 2 more years.

I should add, all my travel is just for fun, so with no required work trips or anything I have just been flexible on where and when and am very happy with the redemptions found so far.

The only thing that has me reconsidering this "strategy" is the potential of Lifetime gold as mentioned on another thread. Would be good to know how this is going to work.

This time last year I never thought I would ever be looking at TP runs but it is very addictive and a lot of fun thanks to FT!
Old Jan 22, 2013, 4:20 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver; Virgin Flying Club Red; IHG Spire
A (maybe naive) question re. the 'aa instant upgrade' fares that many refer to on here.

I'm looking at flying from Dallas to Boston at the end of February.

Looking on AA.com UK site right now, 'choice (m)' is £307 on the direct flights and 'business / first (a)' is £430. On flights via Chicago, 'choice (s/q)' is £185' and 'business / first (p/p)' is £351.

I'm happy to change in ORD and get the extra tier points which would mean I'm silver by the time of my return flight to LHR from BOS, but what is the cheapest way to get into a first class fare bracket? Is there a cheaper way than paying the £351 such as buying the choice fare and then doing an upgrade? If so, how much would that upgrade be?

Thanks for the help!
Old Jan 22, 2013, 4:22 pm

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum Elite / BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by hb133
A (maybe naive) question re. the 'aa instant upgrade' fares that many refer to on here.

I'm looking at flying from Dallas to Boston at the end of February.

Looking on AA.com UK site right now, 'choice (m)' is £307 on the direct flights and 'business / first (a)' is £430. On flights via Chicago, 'choice (s/q)' is £185' and 'business / first (p/p)' is £351.

I'm happy to change in ORD and get the extra tier points which would mean I'm silver by the time of my return flight to LHR from BOS, but what is the cheapest way to get into a first class fare bracket? Is there a cheaper way than paying the £351 such as buying the choice fare and then doing an upgrade? If so, how much would that upgrade be?

Thanks for the help!
ISTBC, but P fares on AA are an instant upgrade fare, and earn F TPs in the BAEC. So I think £351 for 120TPs is not the best value, but on this routing it's a reasonable price...
Old Jan 22, 2013, 4:46 pm

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Originally Posted by pianoamit
ISTBC, but P fares on AA are an instant upgrade fare, and earn F TPs in the BAEC. So I think £351 for 120TPs is not the best value, but on this routing it's a reasonable price...
https://www.britishairways.com/trave...club/_gf/en_gb

Correct: F, p, a first - s, q economy
Old Jan 22, 2013, 5:59 pm

Programs: VS Gold, BAEC Gold
I think I may have found one better than the:

SFO-LAX-MIA-SJU

LAS-LAX-MIA-SJU - 60 + 210 + 80 x 2 = 620 and $838, which is £529.

That gives £0.85 per tier point.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 8:17 pm

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Am just about to book my first ever TP run / holiday on the SJU-HNL itinerary, however I have a few final questions:

1- playing around with dates, I get a SJU-MIA-LAX-HNL-DFW-MIA-SJU option @ 770 TPs in total vs the 920 on the "classic" option. Both HNL-DFW and DFW-MIA are on a 763. Is that substantially better than the 757? I only really need about 750 TPs so happy to give some up for the added comfort.

2- I am thinking of "missing" the final leg to SJU. Should I be concerned? Is overhead bin space much better on the 763, thus enabling me to bring more carry on in order to attempt this?
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:32 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Depends if the 763 is a three-class or two-class.

Two-class 763 is much better than 757 as it has angled-flat beds.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
My apologies if I didn't see it on here, but I'm new to all of this TP stuff.

ORD-JFK-BOS or v.v.
GBP 157-ish (US$249) for P, one-way
non-refundable, 14-day advance purchase
(157/(60+60)) 1.31 GBP/TP

Not as good as the SJU-based runs, but for me I have to go to BOS anyway from time to time, so it's an easy 240 TP RT.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 4:16 am

OGG-LAX-MIA-STT: £357, 460 TPs. £0.78/TP

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.