Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Avios Ticket - Cancel Outbound Leg and Keep Return?

Old Jan 3, 13, 1:53 am
Original Poster

This is probably something that I'll get criticized for asking, but I did check the Guide to Avios and wasn't able to find my answer.

I'm currently booked roundtrip LAX-NRT for 2 on AA with BA miles. I want to cancel the outbound only, and redeposit those miles and get a refund. It won't let me do it online, because apparently I used PayPal but not any particular account (it wants me to login to an account, but every time I do it says it's not the right one). Will I be able to call in (once it is 7:30EST) and have them refund only the outbound while keeping the return in tact? ANA F Suites just opened up, and while AA F is plenty nice, ANA Suites look unbelievable.

Thanks for your help!
Old Jan 3, 13, 3:14 am

Programs: MUCCI
I think the answer is obvious.

Airlines sell return and single fares. The reason returns are priced and sold as they are is because the rules require you to fly both legs.

PayPal or not, you should expect little sympathy from BA if you're looking to dump one leg of your return ticket for no real reason.
Old Jan 3, 13, 3:18 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
It's an Avios redemption it appears (if it's an AA Miles redemption then this is out of my skill set!).

In which case because you want to dump the first sector it gets a bit sticky. You should be able to cancel the entire trip so long as you are more than 24 hours off departure, and get a refund (there maybe a small fee though). You may even be able to do this online and get everything refunded nearly instantly. However you would then need to be rebook the original return, and returning your first booking to the pool may mean it gets swallowed up, never to be released again. So your starting point is probably to see if there is still redemption space for the return as a single ticket, then to call BAEC, but I don't think it is guaranteed. If your underlying ticket is via UuA it gets even more complicated and less feasible.

If it was in the other direction (keeping outbound, dumping return) it gets easier.
Old Jan 3, 13, 3:22 am

Avios redemptions are effectively single leg bookings though, a good CS person might sort this for you. But you'll probably only get one chance.

I personally think it's risky, just because you prefer one F to another. But good luck regardless - my best flight ever was on ANA.
Old Jan 3, 13, 3:31 am

Programs: not a lot
Originally Posted by Short Final View Post
I think the answer is obvious.

Airlines sell return and single fares. The reason returns are priced and sold as they are is because the rules require you to fly both legs.

PayPal or not, you should expect little sympathy from BA if you're looking to dump one leg of your return ticket for no real reason.
If you had bothered to read the OP's question you would realise he was talking about a miles booking which is completely different to a cash booking.

OP: As it's a miles booking you can cancel up to T-24 with a 25 charge in some instances so possible you could cancel and rebook if the availability is there.

Can you change the booking to drop a sector, I am sure it's possible but it might not be permitted if that makes sense. Might be a cancel and rebook but when I was making lots of changes to bookings earlier in the previous year they were quite good at amending and not cancelling and rebooking.

I would phone BA.
Old Jan 3, 13, 4:28 am

Programs: MUCCI
LiviLion,

Cancel and rebook perhaps .... but saying I'm wrong in suggesting you can magically transform a return booking into a one way by dropping a leg is wrong. The ticket was still sold as a return, so it becomes invalid if you don't fly one leg (fundamental fare rules still apply, do they not !).

The T&Cs do state....

Reward tickets are subject to IATA fare construction rules.
They also state:

One way tickets can be issued as Rewards on British Airways flights at 50% of the Avios Points required for a return journey to the same destination. Open tickets cannot be issued as Rewards.

The OP might also want to take note of the change T&Cs.....

14.1. Changes to bookings for Reward travel on flights operated by British Airways or Airline Partners are permitted only in respect of date, time, class of service and (subject to Clause 14.2.) route. Such changes may only be made by the Member or an individual nominated in accordance with Clause 3.13. If more than one Avios & Money price option is available for a British Airways flight, it is not possible to change the price option chosen by a Member after a booking has been made. All permitted changes are subject to capacity limitations and may not be made after the time 24 hours prior to the scheduled departure of the first flight in the Reward travel itinerary. A fee as specified on ba.com may be payable for each permitted change. For the avoidance of doubt, name changes are not permitted.

14.2. The route applicable to an Reward travel booking may be changed provided that the new route selected would, as at the date the change is requested, require the redemption of the same amount of Avios Points as was redeemed in making the original booking. Route changes are only permitted for Reward travel bookings which (other than for the payment of taxes, fees and charges) are purchased using Avios Points only.

14.3. If you make a Non-Flight Reward booking a per product fee as specified on ba.com will be charged in addition to any fees levied by the Partner for each change made. Changes are not permitted inside 72 hours of travelling.

Last edited by Short Final; Jan 3, 13 at 4:34 am
Old Jan 3, 13, 4:45 am

It is possible to turn a single 2-4-1 into a return when availability opens up, so a friendly agent may turn a return into a single for you. Just phone and ask. If it's allowed, you would probably have to pay a change fee of about 25 per ticket.
Old Jan 3, 13, 5:46 am

Programs: BA Gold
I managed to do exactly this recently. It had to be done over the phone, so 15 to pay on top of the 25 cancellation charge, but there was no issue with cancelling one leg and avios were refunded straight away.
Old Jul 9, 13, 4:37 pm

Any specifics tips on what to request? Two agents have told me that I can't cancel just the outbound of my return LHR-TLV-LHR. I would prefer to keep the return in Club World... right now they have availability in WT so I might just book that instead and pocket the Avios + fee difference.

Sounds like some folks did find agents who were able to drop just the outbound so if there's any further details on what to ask or say, they would be much appreciated!

(Same PNR)
Old Jul 15, 13, 2:18 pm

Follow-up: US BAEC agents said it couldn't be done (2 of them). I called the UK BAEC and the agent said "sure, why not?" Except the US BAEC has to do it for me.
Called the US BAEC the next day and a 3rd agent said can't be done. I pointed her to the notes in the PNR from the UK agent who said it can. She said one second and called to UK BAEC to get it sorted out... and by sorted out I mean transferred me when she had someone on the line who then proceeded to have no idea why she transferred me to the UK when they can't do anything for me but that, yes, it's completely valid to cancel just the outbound. He transferred me back to the US BAEC and a *fourth* agent told me it can't be done but she was willing to go look into it and sure enough... done.

I didn't consider the APD was so high even for coach fares (I guess that's what it is?) because I had a substantial refund of taxes and fees despite the $40 change and $25 phone booking fee per passenger ($260 total refund *after* change fees!, plus 25,000 avios back).
Old Jul 15, 13, 2:24 pm

I've always found the problem with changing avios booking like this is that they can't guarantee the replacement seats until you cough up the avios. So either you need enough avios to cover two flights temporarily or take a risk on them disappearing as you wait to be transferred over to sales who explicitly said they wouldn't hold seats open. Either that or I got a dud set of agents....
Old Jul 15, 13, 2:27 pm

Well, I was just dropping an outbound segment... so no replacement seats necessary.

Kept the same segment and seats on the return.
Old Jul 15, 13, 3:04 pm

Programs: British Airways/Oneworld
I'm not wholly sure how Jacksonville operates because I didn't work there, but when it comes to redemption flights on BA, I regularly removed single sectors prior to 24 hours before take-off. This returned all money and all avios less GBP40 reroute fee. I never did it using AA prime flights (must be used in the case of avios redemption on partner airlines) but I can only assume that customers are subjected to precisely the same rules. Redemption tickets and comms tickets have dichotomous rules.
Old Jul 15, 13, 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by djibouti View Post
Well, I was just dropping an outbound segment... so no replacement seats necessary.

Kept the same segment and seats on the return.
Might they make you cancel the return and rebook as a single?
Old Jul 15, 13, 4:06 pm

There was no availability to rebook the return so that wouldn't have worked. It is what the US agents claimed we had to do until I found one that actually tried to just drop the outbound and said "it wasn't that difficult" afterwards.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: