Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA American Express credit card | 2013 master thread

Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: stifle
Current sign-up, referral and spend promotions

New member sign ups

British Airways American Express Premium Plus Card:
Collect 18,000 bonus Avios when you spend £3,000 within the first three months of card membership.

British Airways American Express Credit Card:
Collect 9,000 bonus Avios when you spend £1,000 within the first three months of card membership.
Small print:
Offers are only available to New Cardmembers, if you have had a British Airways American Express Card in the last 6 months you will not be eligible for the bonus Avios. 9,000 bonus Avios will be awarded onto your account once you have been approved and you have spent and charged a minimum of £1,000 on goods and services to the account within three months of account opening. Please note this offer is subject to change. Please note that it can take up to one month for bonus Avios to be awarded to your account.

Premium Plus Cardmembers - 25,000 bonus Avios will be awarded onto your account once you have been approved and you have spent and charged a minimum of £3,000 on goods and services to the account within three months of account opening. If you are a British Airways American Express Credit Card or British Airways American Express Premium Cardholder, you will not be eligible for this offer and this is not an offer to upgrade. Please note this offer is subject to change. Please note that it can take up to one month for bonus Avios to be awarded to your account.

Referrals

If you are already a BA American Express card holder (either BA card) and introduce a friend to the BA American Express card, you'll receive a 4,000 Avios bonus once your friend's application is approved.

If you are already a BA American Express card holder (either BA card) and introduce a friend to the Premium Plus card, you'll receive a 9,000 Avios bonus once your friend's application is approved. Your friend will receive 19,000 Avios if he/she spends £3,000 in his/her first three months of cardmembership.
Small print:
When you recommend the British Airways American Express Credit Card to a friend, you will receive 4,000 Avios once their Card has been approved. Your friend will receive 10,000 Avios when they spend a minimum of £1,000 on goods and services purchased and charged to their account within three months of account opening. Applicants must be UK residents aged 18 years old or over. If your friend has already applied for the British Airways American Express Credit Card without using this recommendation, you and your friend will not be eligible for the bonus Avios. All introductory offers are subject to change, can be withdrawn at any time and are not available if your friend currently holds or has held any other British Airways Credit Cards in the past 6 months.

Promotions
Print Wikipost

BA American Express credit card | 2013 master thread

Old Jan 13, 2013, 11:26 am
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, BA Lounge Rats, BA Audit Survivors, CW Kitchen Defender, CX Noodle Connoisseurs Club
Originally Posted by MrMutton
Is this new? - 6k avios on first spend (no minimum) and a £50 credit when spending £100 in the first three months is better than a kick in the teeth, but would this temp people instead of the 25k avios for £3k spend and £60 cashback that Raffles highlights on his blog?!
It will tempt people who don't like points!

Seems a rather strange offer to me.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 11:57 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Starbucks Gold,
Originally Posted by PanGalactic
It will tempt people who don't like points!
Do those people exist? Certainly none round here...!;
Old Jan 13, 2013, 12:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, BA Lounge Rats, BA Audit Survivors, CW Kitchen Defender, CX Noodle Connoisseurs Club
Originally Posted by MrMutton
Do those people exist? Certainly none round here...!;
The mind boggles!

I would lay money on the rate of default by people who take up this offer being far higher than people who are happy to pay the £150 a year fee and don't need the £50 cashback to offset against it.

Even if it was £150 cashback it still wouldn't be worth giving up the extra 20,000 points!

What were they thinking???

Just trying it on maybe to see if anyone will bite?

If so it's bad business to have your customers kicking themselves once they realise what they have done.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 1:30 pm

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
The mind boggles!

I would lay money on the rate of default by people who take up this offer being far higher than people who are happy to pay the £150 a year fee and don't need the £50 cashback to offset against it.

Even if it was £150 cashback it still wouldn't be worth giving up the extra 20,000 points!

What were they thinking???

Just trying it on maybe to see if anyone will bite?

If so it's bad business to have your customers kicking themselves once they realise what they have done.
At first I thought it was aimed at those who couldn't manage a £3k spend in 3 months. Then I realised that if you'd struggle to manage that, chances are you'd struggle to meet the £10k annual spend for the 241, which is the whole point of the card.

I'm therefore a little baffled by this one.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Nthing baffling at all!

You put it on ba.com at the point of purchase and it attracts casual Avios collectors who really have no idea what is going on, including thr fact that another page of ba.com has a better offer.

They have using this technique in the US for a while so it must work!
Old Jan 13, 2013, 2:24 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Better offer for UK or US Raffles?
Old Jan 13, 2013, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Can't remember, probably worse!
Old Jan 14, 2013, 2:56 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Raffles
Nthing baffling at all!

You put it on ba.com at the point of purchase and it attracts casual Avios collectors who really have no idea what is going on, including thr fact that another page of ba.com has a better offer.

They have using this technique in the US for a while so it must work!
Yes of course, silly me, I forgot that 99% of people outside our little world don't give a monkeys about points.

This reminded me on an uncle of mine who had retired after working for a company in the city all his life.

I brought up the subject of points one day over lunch and he said something like "yes, I used to have some kind of corporate Amex, they sent me an email telling me I had some points once, I'll need to look into that!".

Saw him again a few months later and asked his wife what had happened about the points and had they looked into it yet. She said that they had and exchanged them all for M&S vouchers!

I said, "erm, ok, great, so how many did you get?".

She said "Well, it was quite a lot, we were quite surprised actually"

[facepalm]

(They are quite well off to say the least, so for her to say it was "a lot" I reckon it must have been several hundred thousand, possibly over a million as he was quite high up in the company and was out wining and dining clients for years)
Old Jan 14, 2013, 7:38 am
sam

Programs: Qantas Gold; BA Silver; Virgin Australia Platinum; Virgin Atlantic Gold
You must pay on AN Amex. Any old Amex. It will be rejected otherwise.
We just called up to cancel my wife's account. They told her she would lose the companion voucher if she cancelled her Premium BA AmEx unless she took out a basic BA AmEx. She still gets the pro-rata fee refund. However this means it is a long time before we can apply again for a Premium BA AmEx and quality for the opening bonus miles.

Do we think this is a change of AmEx policy or is it an agent bending the truth to increase his retention stats?
Old Jan 14, 2013, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would take their word for it and trade down to the free Amex. Too risky to lose your voucher.

Get your wife the SPG Amex instead - 25,000 Avios with that and only £35 fee netting off Quidco. Offer ends 2 Feb or something.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 9:16 am
sam

Programs: Qantas Gold; BA Silver; Virgin Australia Platinum; Virgin Atlantic Gold
I would take their word for it and trade down to the free Amex. Too risky to lose your voucher.

Get your wife the SPG Amex instead - 25,000 Avios with that and only £35 fee netting off Quidco. Offer ends 2 Feb or something.
I did trade down my wife's card. I'm a bit worried about my own companion voucher tho as I have no BA Amex in my name.

I saw the SPG recommendation on your blog yesterday and applied then (in my name). I'll save my wife's next application for another opportunity . Unfortunately she has a live Gold and I cancelled mine only a few months ago so the Platinum offer probably will not work for me.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 6:19 am
Suspended

Hello,
I'm thinking about cancelling my BA American Express card, however I have a companion voucher on my BA account which I earned from this card.
I spoke to a colleague of mine who said they cancelled their BA card some time ago but their voucher remained on their BA account after they cancelled their card.
Could you please confirm if this is still the case?
Thanks
Originally Posted by amex
Dear Mr PanGalactic,

We are sorry to learn that you wish to close your Card account.

Please note that you will need to book a travel with your Companion voucher before closing the account.

In case, you close the account prior to the booking the voucher will no longer be valid. All taxes etc are paid for at the time of booking using your American Express credit Card.

Though, you do not need to show your Card at check in all you will need is the normal travel documents passport or if its UK domestic you can produce a photographic driving license.

I hope this information is of assistance to you. If there is any other way we may be of assistance please do write to us.

Sincerely,

Some Dude
Email Servicing Team
American Express Interactive Services
Old Jan 15, 2013, 9:40 am

Programs: BA Silver/HH Gold

Is there any chance that I can push this with Amex and get the 2-4-1 triggered?

To clarify my situation: I have had a BA PP Amex for some time now and I realised last week that I was close to triggering the 2-4-1 voucher, just ahead of my anniversary date (15/01/2013). I did two quite large (£250 and £390ish) transactions on Friday 11 January to get me over the £10k point and then did a number of smaller transactions over the weekend, just to be sure. Both transactions show as being processed, but the £390ish one does not yet appear on the Avios transaction page of my Amex CC account.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 9:48 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by rienniste

Is there any chance that I can push this with Amex and get the 2-4-1 triggered?

To clarify my situation: I have had a BA PP Amex for some time now and I realised last week that I was close to triggering the 2-4-1 voucher, just ahead of my anniversary date (15/01/2013). I did two quite large (£250 and £390ish) transactions on Friday 11 January to get me over the £10k point and then did a number of smaller transactions over the weekend, just to be sure. Both transactions show as being processed, but the £390ish one does not yet appear on the Avios transaction page of my Amex CC account.
I'm assuming (since you don't say otherwise) that the "processed" amount was under £10K at your anniversary date? Is that right?

What do the T&Cs say about the £10K spend? Does it state that it is the processed date, not the transaction date, that is taken into used?

If not, I'd wait for the £390 to go onto your statement and go back to them stating that you did do £10K worth of transactions in the year and use the transaction date as the proof. I'd use the fact that the default date on the online statement is the transaction date (you need to expand the entry to see the processed date).
Old Jan 15, 2013, 9:59 am

Programs: BA Silver/HH Gold
Apologies for bombarding this thread with screenshots...

It's showing Sunday as the processed date on the Processed Transactions page:

When I look on the Avios transaction page the most recent processed transaction there is the £250 transaction that I also made on 11 Jan.
This initially made me think that I had triggered the 2-4-1 in time:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.