Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA American Express credit card | 2013 master thread

BA American Express credit card | 2013 master thread

Hide Wikipost
Old Sep 26, 13, 4:35 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: stifle
Wiki Link
Current sign-up, referral and spend promotions

New member sign ups

British Airways American Express Premium Plus Card:
Collect 18,000 bonus Avios when you spend 3,000 within the first three months of card membership.

British Airways American Express Credit Card:
Collect 9,000 bonus Avios when you spend 1,000 within the first three months of card membership.
Small print:
Offers are only available to New Cardmembers, if you have had a British Airways American Express Card in the last 6 months you will not be eligible for the bonus Avios. 9,000 bonus Avios will be awarded onto your account once you have been approved and you have spent and charged a minimum of 1,000 on goods and services to the account within three months of account opening. Please note this offer is subject to change. Please note that it can take up to one month for bonus Avios to be awarded to your account.

Premium Plus Cardmembers - 25,000 bonus Avios will be awarded onto your account once you have been approved and you have spent and charged a minimum of 3,000 on goods and services to the account within three months of account opening. If you are a British Airways American Express Credit Card or British Airways American Express Premium Cardholder, you will not be eligible for this offer and this is not an offer to upgrade. Please note this offer is subject to change. Please note that it can take up to one month for bonus Avios to be awarded to your account.

Referrals

If you are already a BA American Express card holder (either BA card) and introduce a friend to the BA American Express card, you'll receive a 4,000 Avios bonus once your friend's application is approved.

If you are already a BA American Express card holder (either BA card) and introduce a friend to the Premium Plus card, you'll receive a 9,000 Avios bonus once your friend's application is approved. Your friend will receive 19,000 Avios if he/she spends 3,000 in his/her first three months of cardmembership.
Small print:
When you recommend the British Airways American Express Credit Card to a friend, you will receive 4,000 Avios once their Card has been approved. Your friend will receive 10,000 Avios when they spend a minimum of 1,000 on goods and services purchased and charged to their account within three months of account opening. Applicants must be UK residents aged 18 years old or over. If your friend has already applied for the British Airways American Express Credit Card without using this recommendation, you and your friend will not be eligible for the bonus Avios. All introductory offers are subject to change, can be withdrawn at any time and are not available if your friend currently holds or has held any other British Airways Credit Cards in the past 6 months.

Promotions
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 4, 13, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by Raffles View Post
It definitely works with a CHARGE card (ie Plat, Gold).

There is no proof, I think, that it works with the BAPP which is a credit card.
...so good to go with Plat Amex but perhaps not with BAPP - thanks for reply
Old Jan 4, 13, 10:58 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR, Marriott Ti, HH Diamond, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card
Originally Posted by paulmush View Post
Thanks Wozza

I had not considered that because i thought that either the bonus MR points would be removed upon cancellation? ...or the 2 for 1 cancelled??
With your BAPP, the Avios for the transaction (not the bonus) would be removed, but the 241 should be fine. The alternative, just to be safe, is to make your 241 booking before requesting the refund.

Alternatively, if you can afford the outlay, purchase gift cards to the amount required for your supermarket of choice. We did this to meet a spend requirement last year; basically prepaid 6 months groceries.
Old Jan 4, 13, 11:44 am

Programs: Marco Polo Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Le Accor Plat
Originally Posted by paulmush View Post
...so good to go with Plat Amex but perhaps not with BAPP - thanks for reply
I was in exactly your situation a couple of weeks ago and everything went smoothly for me. I found it to work with each of my BAPP and Plat Amex.

I made a dummy run on each to ensure that sterling travellers cheques are treated as purchases, per the reports that foreign currency was being treated so - they are. Although I did make sure to buy a small amount of Euros each time I bought the TCs, just in case this was required to have the transaction treated as a purchase.

Ultimately, I ended up booking a refundable flight on the BAPP and and getting a wad of sterling TCs on the Plat.

I was able to pay the TCs into my First Direct account via HSBC without charge. As suggested by Wozza, I booked my 2-4-1 flight as soon as the voucher came through and I have just now applied for a refund on the dummy flight. I expect them to take a bunch of Avios back, but by the time the refund hits I may well have hit the 10k spend anyway (mainly due to the taxes charged on my 2-4-1 booking), so am not sure what effect (if any) this would have on the 2-4-1 voucher.
Old Jan 5, 13, 6:10 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Amex
Impact on BA voucher upon changes to Amex BA classic or cancellation of Amex BA prem

Hi,

I have searched for this information but wasn't able to find it...so many threads...I hope someone will be able to provide some information to help me : i have a BA Amex Premium, I have just spent over 10k and got my companion voucher. I don't plan to continue to pay 150 next year therefore I am considering cancelling the card, would that cancel my existing voucher as well ? Would that be different if I was moving to the BA Amex classic (the free one) ?

Thanks,

Tonio
Old Jan 5, 13, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by antmavel View Post
Hi,

I have searched for this information but wasn't able to find it...so many threads...I hope someone will be able to provide some information to help me : i have a BA Amex Premium, I have just spent over 10k and got my companion voucher. I don't plan to continue to pay 150 next year therefore I am considering cancelling the card, would that cancel my existing voucher as well ? Would that be different if I was moving to the BA Amex classic (the free one) ?

Thanks,

Tonio
Your best bet is to downgrade. There is a risk you lose it otherwise, unless you've already booked.

You will also need to have an Amex card - any Amex - to pay the taxes when you book your 241. No other payment options are allowed.
Old Jan 5, 13, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by Raffles View Post
Originally Posted by 21H21J View Post
I tried to buy $3000 with my BAPP with no success - the transaction was declined as my card was not set up for cash advance. I know Raffles managed to make this work but have been unable to find the FT post or blog entry with details of the card used, etc.
It definitely works with a CHARGE card (ie Plat, Gold).

There is no proof, I think, that it works with the BAPP which is a credit card.
I tried this with my SPG card, had a mixed experience in that I didn't get any cash advance fee's for purchasing currency. However I wasn't able to order as much as I wanted to too which turned out to be because it as looking at the 'cash limit' on my card instead of the actual 'credit limit'. So essentially it was treating as a cash advance but not charging me accordingly. This was in November and I still haven't had any charge so am confident it won't now. This was via Amex Travel Money by the way.
Old Jan 5, 13, 11:07 am
dgm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum Ambassador, HH Diamond.
Upgrade from Classic to Premium

Afternoon all.

I currently have the Classic card, however not sure if I will reach the 20k this year before the cut off.

Has anyone else upgraded their Classic to the Premium part way through to activate the voucher before the anniversary? If so, what process did you follow?

The AMEX rep I spoke to yesterday advised me to just apply for the PP card and that it would automatically transfer my Avios over, recognise I was over the 10k and issue the voucher. However I am a little dubious about this actually working and also to have to technically 'apply' for more credit again from a credit check perspective when all i'm doing is upgrading the card.

Any ideas folks?

Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 5, 13, 11:31 am

Amex now accepted at Morrisons. This may be useful for people wanting to take advantage of double MRs for supermarket in year 1 for Gold card holders.
Old Jan 5, 13, 11:37 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by mrmarf View Post
Amex now accepted at Morrisons. This may be useful for people wanting to take advantage of double MRs for supermarket in year 1 for Gold card holders.
I've been using Amex at Morrisons for years so I don't think this is a new thing.
Old Jan 5, 13, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by Blueboys999 View Post
I've been using Amex at Morrisons for years so I don't think this is a new thing.
A big sign on the till today,never noticed it before! All those points missed!
Old Jan 5, 13, 11:59 am
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by mrmarf View Post
A big sign on the till today,never noticed it before! All those points missed!
I think you'd be surprised at how many places accept AmEx but don't advertise it (particularly larger chains like Morrisons)...
Old Jan 5, 13, 12:01 pm

Programs: BAEC, HHonors Gold, Amex
Our local Morrisons have had the sign up about accepting Amex for months now.
Old Jan 5, 13, 12:06 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by KeithJenner View Post
Our local Morrisons have had the sign up about accepting Amex for months now.
With big chains, it doesn't matter if it's a smaller local shop or a large store. Unless it's a franchise they will all accept the card. Morissons have been accepting it for over a year now!
Old Jan 5, 13, 12:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold
For the last few months of 2012 Ocado purchases were getting both the grocery bonus points as well as travel bonus points (so 3 points per 1). Sadly seems to have been fixed now.
Old Jan 5, 13, 12:17 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club refugee: BA-Br; HH-D
Originally Posted by dgm View Post
Afternoon all.

I currently have the Classic card, however not sure if I will reach the 20k this year before the cut off.

Has anyone else upgraded their Classic to the Premium part way through to activate the voucher before the anniversary? If so, what process did you follow?

The AMEX rep I spoke to yesterday advised me to just apply for the PP card and that it would automatically transfer my Avios over, recognise I was over the 10k and issue the voucher. However I am a little dubious about this actually working and also to have to technically 'apply' for more credit again from a credit check perspective when all i'm doing is upgrading the card.

Any ideas folks?

Thanks in advance.

My only idea would be to get it in writing (email) somehow first!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: