Wiki Posts
Search

BA service even in Immigration at MIA

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2012, 3:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
BA service even in Immigration at MIA

SWMBO and I recently flew GLA-LHR-MIA in CW. Good flights with good crew. Arrived in MIA 38 mins early.

Immigration hall looked OK. Plenty of open desks and no queue longer than 3 people or so.

We go to the official who seemed quite pleasant, tapped away on his computer and then muttered words including pending and I can't admit you. We were sent to stand against the wall behind the desk. I guess this is the naughty step.

At this point we stopped being human beings and became objects in the "process". We were collected by a GTRSO (Gun Toting Rubber Stamp Operator) and taken in to a room where we joined about 200 other unfortunates. The GTRSOs have a special hook on their gunbelts so that as well as gun handcuffs etc. the can hang their rubber stamp machine. Numerous GTRSOs walked about with no obvious purpose and disappeared back into their secret room. Eventually after an hour and a half one came out and called our names. We were taken into a Forensic Room and fingerprinted. Still no explanation of why we were there or what the process was. Back to sit down for another hour and a half before another GTRSO appeared with our passports and sent us on our way. At no stage did we get an answer to question about why we were being held or what was happening.

The good bit was that a lady in a BA uniform found us in the holding area and assured us that our bags had arrived and were by carousel 6 waiting for us to be released. Sure enough when we eventually got to the baggage area someone (I'm guessing BA) had got our 3 bags together and ready for us to take away.

So, well done BA but MIA immigration is a nightmare. Does anyone one know who to complain to and is it worth it? The main point is that I want to be sure I have done everything possible to avoid a repeat of the situation, but since they would not tell me what the problem was, I can't fix it.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 3:38 pm

Programs: BA
What do you want to complain about? You have no RIGHT to enter the USA. They decided to run extra checks on you and it took some time. Tough luck really. Were they rude? That you could complain about, but you make no mention of it.

Ultimately they are under no obligation to tell you what they are looking into.

Also, whilst you say you we're detained, if you'd really have insisted that you refused to be "detained", I'm sure they would have organised to release you back into departures and immediately onto a plane out of the US.

I really don't get what you think you can complain about, and what you'd be hoping to achieve?
Old Dec 26, 2012, 3:45 pm
Original Poster

Please read OP

The main point is that I want to be sure I have done everything possible to avoid a repeat of the situation, but since they would not tell me what the problem was, I can't fix it.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 3:49 pm

Then why on earth did you put?

Does anyone one know who to complain to
Old Dec 26, 2012, 3:50 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by GLAFlyer
... The main point is that I want to be sure I have done everything possible to avoid a repeat of the situation, but since they would not tell me what the problem was, I can't fix it.
There may be nothing to fix. You were admitted to the US so whatever it was turned out to be okay.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 3:50 pm

And there's nothing you can do. Even getting a visa doesn't give you the right to enter another country.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 3:53 pm

Programs: BA Silver; VS Gold; HHonors Diamond; Amex Centurion; IHG Platinum; Club Accor Platinum; TfL Oyster.
I can only add that I have been visiting the US often since 1965 and have used many Points of Entry. I have only met one USCIS representative who was outright unpleasant (at SEA) and have only once been referred for Secondary Inspection: coincidentally (or maybe not) at MIA. My MIA experience was discomfiting at the time but I accept that the US has the right to try to ensure that entrants are who and what they claim to be.

I wouldn't recommend complaining. USCIS is an unwieldy and sometimes cumbersome organisation. I doubt that you would get a result which would make you feel better. If the agent who referred you for Secondary Inspection did so because of a 'red flag' on his computer, it would have happened at any Point of Entry.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 3:54 pm

Programs: Latinpass Million Miler. BA Gold.
But you asked who you can complain to? Not how to avoid a repeat. Anyway, seems you got off lightly with only a 3 hour wait. To attempt to avoid a repeat, search for "redress", and go through the process. It might help.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 3:56 pm

Programs: Mucci Petit Four de Pucci, RedVee's Navigator Badge, BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by More Champagne Sir?
And there's nothing you can do. Even getting a visa doesn't give you the right to enter another country.
I think the OP was clear and understandable, just wanting information about what the problem was, or some explanation. That's entirely fair I would say - otherwise we'll all just live in a world where public officials can be as officious and secretive as they like with impunity (not suggesting that was the case here).
Old Dec 26, 2012, 3:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

My wife and I had a similar but not as lengthy experience when we entered the US from Canada.
We had to fill out a form then got fingerprinted as well......to top it all off we had to pay some cash which came as a shock to me.
Sour faced border guard who didn't like us asking questions so we just shut up and did what we were told. Not a pleasant experience as we were the only passengers on the coach who were earmarked for this special treatment and ended up delaying their departure.

Didn't spoil our stay in the US though. He was the only dour sod we met thankfully.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 4:00 pm

Programs: BA, UA
The main point is that I want to be sure I have done everything possible to avoid a repeat of the situation, but since they would not tell me what the problem was, I can't fix it.
Unfortunately, you can do very little. This year I've been hauled aside for interrogation at IAD on a perfectly valid visa (and with a tight connection) and at ORD sent to the back despite being first off the plane. I find it's easier to just accept that it's their way or the highway, regardless of how unreasonable it may seem, and we'll just have to sit tight until Global Entry becomes an option for UK citizens.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by Fruitcake
I think the OP was clear and understandable, just wanting information about what the problem was, or some explanation. That's entirely fair I would say - otherwise we'll all just live in a world where public officials can be as officious and secretive as they like with impunity (not suggesting that was the case here).
The OP was clear. Who asked who he should complain to.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 4:18 pm

Programs: Demoted to gold, Cats protection
GTRSO (Gun Toting Rubber Stamp Operator)
hahaha

I have been the victim of these charmers many times,
Old Dec 26, 2012, 4:19 pm

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, BD..oh, wait..
You simply won't get an answer. As explained, something flagged, they did the checks. You don't have any right to enter as has been advised.

If they've been rude, you can complain, but frankly I think you might as well do something more constructive with your time.

http://1.usa.gov/pJTtHa
Old Dec 26, 2012, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That must have been an awful experience.

I had extra checks done on me at BAH last summer. You did not know why you were waiting, what you were going to be asked, or how long you would be waiting for.

Fortunately I was called up to the desk and admitted without any hassle after only a short period. There were others waiting, including westerners, who looked like they had been there a lot longer.

But I knew that the worst thing that I could have done was to complain or make a fuss. And I am glad that I did not.

However I might not go back to BAH again out of fear that I might encounter a longer wait or harsher treatment next time.

To the OP, all I can suggest is that you might write to the US Embassy to ask what happened and why extra checks were done. But I would not expect any meaningful answer back. It sounds like you might have been flagged for a random check, or you could have been "processed" for another reason.

There is probably really no action you can take other than to spend your travel money in other countries.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.