BA Fleet and Travel Class Guide

Old Dec 28, 2012, 11:38 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
As someone has said, the ZZ* aircraft have a reduced range (being 'A' market models) and their engines are (iirc) GE90-76s not -85s.

I think the 77Ws also have a reduced range from normal - a BA engineer told me (when I was sitting in the cockpit of G-STBA before it was delivered from CWL... ) that they had specified slightly de-rated GE90s for the 77Ws to prolong engine life and because the BA route network doesn't need the full range of the 77W. That would assume that there was a lower MTOW available on these frames and therefore a reduced maximum range.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 1:32 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Prospero
Pretentious? Moi?
Surely you mean prétentieux, non?
Old Dec 28, 2012, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by CatchThePigeon
Thank you Prospero. Your work on this is much appreciated.

I have referred to the AVOD Guide on the Dashboard but I'm still rather confused by the difference between Upgraded Tes, THALES and GMIS. Am I right in thinking GMIS is the poorest of the 3 (especially if in F on a G-ZZZ*) and that Upgraded Tes is the norm on 747 in CW with THALES being the cat's cuticles?
Yes GMIS (GEC Marconi inflight systems) is the worst of the bunch, Upgraded TES (Digital Total Entertainment System) is standard AVOD on BA, THALES Top Series is replacing GMIS and will appear on new BA aircraft (787, A380).

Last edited by Jimmie76; Dec 28, 2012 at 3:13 pm
Old Dec 28, 2012, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Thales is fitted to all aircraft that have the NWTP and NWT cabins.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by Genius1
Thales is fitted to all aircraft that have the NWTP and NWT cabins.
I thought that was the GMIS aircraft and newer ones, happy to be proved wrong though.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Jimmie76
I thought that was the GMIS aircraft and newer ones, happy to be proved wrong though.
Thales is factory fresh on the 77W (NWT and NWTP) and retrofitted to the older 772s previously with GMIS - at the same time, NWT and NWTP were fitted to these 772s.

The 772s with Rockwell Collins (Upgraded TES) did not have NWT/NWTP fitted.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 7:39 pm

Programs: BA Blue
very interesting Prospero - thanks for posting this.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 2:35 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
Are the 777s registered G-V*** (and RAES) 777-200IGW rather than ER? (I thought only the G-Ys were true 777-200ERs (the ones which can do MRU and HND and the like)?
Old Dec 30, 2012, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Genius1
Thales is factory fresh on the 77W (NWT and NWTP) and retrofitted to the older 772s previously with GMIS - at the same time, NWT and NWTP were fitted to these 772s.

The 772s with Rockwell Collins (Upgraded TES) did not have NWT/NWTP fitted.
Ah so I was right, thanks for confirming it. ^
Old Mar 1, 2013, 9:17 am

Does anybody know how good the ife on the 777 LGW fleet is? Flying on G-VIIO,P,R or T next week from LGW to MCO and was wondering how good is the ife and how many movies more or less to choose from. Cheers
Old Mar 1, 2013, 9:28 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by GlennV78
Does anybody know how good the ife on the 777 LGW fleet is? Flying on G-VIIO,P,R or T next week from LGW to MCO and was wondering how good is the ife and how many movies more or less to choose from. Cheers
The LGW 777's all have on-demand IFE. If you log into MMB, you can call up the movies being shown on your flight
Old Mar 3, 2013, 5:04 am

Originally Posted by A P Yu
Are the 777s registered G-V*** (and RAES) 777-200IGW rather than ER? (I thought only the G-Ys were true 777-200ERs (the ones which can do MRU and HND and the like)?
This sort of goes back to how Boeing originally sold the 777. They started with the A Market version, of which BA have 3 remaining (ZZZA-C) which are lighter, don't have the proper centre fuel tanks, and less powerful engines.

Next they sold the B Market version which was also called the IGW (Increased Gross Weight) which as it says is heavier as in greater payload and greater fuel ie range. These are the VII's (and RAES).

This is where my memory is clouded it Boeing then introduced Extended Range 777's which BA bought for their next tranche, the YMM's but at some point Boeing dropped the A Market, introduced Long Range (LR) 777's of BA have none but then they (Boeing) started calling all non A Market aircraft ER's. Now Boeing only sell ER and LR but the ER's include what was once called the IGW.

IGW is the old name, now they're all called ER's.

BA's GE engined 777-200ER's do not have any crew rest facilities which means crew hours often limits which routes these aircraft can fly. All YMM's (and the 300's) have full overhead crew rest giving much greater available crew hours.

You can tell a LR as it has the extended raked wing tips and GE90x engines with the curved fan blades, both of which you'll also see on the 777-300's. Londons geographic position means there are very few routes which an ER is unsuitable.

Sorry, I only meant to answer the IGW/ER issue it kept on rabbiting on a bit too much

Last edited by FF777; Mar 3, 2013 at 5:11 am
Old Apr 15, 2013, 11:21 am

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Diamond; Sprüngli Connaisseur
This looks like it's probably the right place for this question.

I've been hunting for UD seats the past few days and just noticed that the plane type is listed as 74G. The return flight is on a 744.

Anyone know what the difference might be?
Old Apr 15, 2013, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
No difference at all.
Old May 26, 2013, 2:45 am

Location: London, England, UK, Europe, The World, The Universe
All of the 4 class Boeing 777-200/200ERs now have new first and Thales IFE

Last edited by diontd; May 26, 2013 at 3:06 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.