Wiki Posts
Search

USA to Amman, Jordan-best Avios use?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2012, 1:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Priority Club Plat
USA to Amman, Jordan-best Avios use?

We are planning to visit Amman, Jordan next October. So far I found flights from Chicago (ORD) to AMM non-stop on Royal Jordanian, using 60,000 Avios one way business class. The taxes are still high at $425 per person.

Any other ideas? Actually, we are flying from Phoenix and I may have to add on the PHX to ORD separately.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 4:00 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
Really? I think its great value myself.
How much is a one way Business Class ticket without Avios?

You may be on the wrong frequent flyer programme if you are looking for cheap redemption tickets. The AA programme may better suit your needs. Not all frequent flying programme are the same and different programme caters to different passenger needs.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 10:17 pm

Programs: BA Gold; AS MVP
I'd agree. At 60000 points, that is pretty good value. However, you might be able to do better just purchasing J class tickets from an RJ consolidator (lots of them in the Chicago area) - they'll be in the neighborhood of $3700 or so round trip, inclusive of all fees. RJ Crown Class from ORD to AMM on a 340-200 is really quite nice - LOADS of space (82" pitch and old style lie-flats) and nice service, with meals plated from a trolley. Not BA F, by any means, but it does outshine BA J, in my opinion, having flown this a number of times. Just my 2 cents.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
I fail to see how paying USD 3700 or more beats paying USD 425 + any amount of Avios.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 10:43 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, BA Silver, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
I fail to see how paying USD 3700 or more beats paying USD 425 + any amount of Avios.
The OP quoted one-way rates. Roundtrip would mean 120,000 Avios plus USD 850+. The suggestion that 120,000 Avios could be employed alternatively, i.e. to have a value greater than USD 2,800 (plus mileage earned from the paid ticket), is, imho, not at all unreasonable.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 9:10 pm
Original Poster

ORD to AMMan, Jordan

Here are my One World Airline choices as I see them now for Phoenix to Amman, Jordan one way next October in business class:

1- American Air all the way, 67,500 AA miles which I DO NOT have, + minimal taxes, OR

2- AA from PHX to ORD @ 10,000 Avios (Economy)$5 tax, PLUS

ORD to AMM @ 60,000 Avios + $215 tax

I can transfer my Amex Membership Rewards points to BA with their 30% bonus to get the 70,000 Avios for only about 54,000 MR points. So entire trip one way cost business class 54,000 MR points + $230 in tax. Thoughts?

Last edited by NorthernAZtraveler; Dec 23, 2012 at 9:43 pm
Old Dec 23, 2012, 9:26 pm

Programs: BA - Blue
Originally Posted by NorthernAZtraveler
Here are my One World Airline choices as I see them now for Phoenix to Amman, Jordan one way next October in business class:

1- American Air all the way, 67,500 AA miles which I DO NOT have, + minimal taxes, OR

2- AA from PHX to ORD @ 10,000 Avios (Economy)$5 tax, PLUS

ORD to AMM @ 60,000 Avios + $425 tax

I can transfer my Amex Membership Rewards points to BA with their 30% bonus to get the 70,000 Avios for only about 54,000 MR points. So entire trip one way cost business class 54,000 MR points + $430 in tax. Thoughts?
You give two options, only one of which is open to you, so it's pretty straightforward isn't it?

The alternative is purchasing the 68k AA miles for ~$1350, which is clearly less favourable, unless you can find much better value for the Avios, for example in short domestic hops.

tb
Old Dec 23, 2012, 9:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by trueblu
You give two options, only one of which is open to you, so it's pretty straightforward isn't it?

The alternative is purchasing the 68k AA miles for ~$1350, which is clearly less favourable, unless you can find much better value for the Avios, for example in short domestic hops.

tb
Yes, you are right, I have only one real choice. Also, I updated the taxes as I had them for two people.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.