Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Onboard Upgrade Trial - Starts 17th December

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Onboard Upgrade Trial - Starts 17th December

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2012, 12:56 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

The opportunity to upgrade at the airport largely depends on where one begins one's journey, so I can see situations where the option to upgrade onboard will be appreciated.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 12:56 pm

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Aérienne du Réseau Courte Durée de British Airways
Originally Posted by Lite
This is a trial on specific routes with selected CSD's/CSM's. Most of the routes on the trial are Worldwide routes, but there are some that are operated by Mixed Fleet. Upgrades will be paid for using the duty free devices. During the trial, targeted customers will be asked if they would like to pay to upgrade to seats further up the aircraft. This will be WT to WT+ or WT+ to CW. There's no option to upgrade more than one cabin and there will be no option to upgrade from CW to F. Allegedly, the upgrade is the seat not the service, so there is no guarantee of your first choice of meal or even a choice of meal from the cabin you've upgraded to. Allegedly.

Personally, there is already the opportunity to pay for upgrade at the check in desk. If customers don't choose to then, it's unlikely they will choose to onboard. Surely a better use of the SCCM's time before take off is setting up the IFE and being present for all customers during the boarding process. It'll be interesting to see the outcome of the trial, but I personally think there are better ways to process upgrades and this could have negative repercussions for yield management in premium cabins if paid for upgrades onboard became the norm.
I tend to agree with what you say. I can't see how the SCCMs will have the time to mess around with this.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 12:57 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Well it's a trial, so let's see what happens. I think BA should be congratulated for giving it a go at least. I can see some validity in the points raised here, not least due to the "selected customers" bit, which presumably means starting with the highest CIVs. Having said that, CSDs and CSMs are well skilled in discreet/discrete discussions, so probably most people won't notice.

The other advantage this has is (a) those who don't check-in luggage may not know about upgrade options (b) those starting their trip from out-stations and connecting in London don't get the Airport Upgrade Promotion options and (c) those with complicated tickets also find AUPs difficult to obtain.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 1:04 pm

Programs: BA gold
Thanks for the info Lite. ^

In addition to what other posters have said, sometimes there is a no-show, or pax who took advantage of a check-in upgrade, say from J to F, and this presents an opportunity to get that just vacated J seat for those who checked early. An unusual example was exICN when 3 or 4 FTers upgraded to F at check-in after I asked if there was any upgrades available to J. Instead, people were op-upped from W to J.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 1:12 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
It does seem a little odd to use up crew time managing upgrades.

Surely it would be better to use OLCI and the airport check-in process to manage this.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
I don't think I will be finding the time for this!
Old Dec 16, 2012, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

Thanks for the information BingBongBoy and Lite!^

Seems to add additional workload to the crew involved but the trial might be worthwhile.

( I wonder how the targeting and catering will work in reality)

Regards

TBS
Old Dec 16, 2012, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by Stez
Thanks for the info Lite. ^

In addition to what other posters have said, sometimes there is a no-show, or pax who took advantage of a check-in upgrade, say from J to F, and this presents an opportunity to get that just vacated J seat for those who checked early. An unusual example was exICN when 3 or 4 FTers upgraded to F at check-in after I asked if there was any upgrades available to J. Instead, people were op-upped from W to J.
In that instance, however, I don't think it would have made a difference. If there were OpUps from W to J then it would probably been a necessity due to not enough seats in W. Otherwise BA would surely have left the J seats empty? (My understanding is they don't OpUp unless operationally necessary).

With the new system, those empty J seats would be available to be sold onboard to W passengers.

I wonder if it will be purely request-led? Or if they'll be a cabin announcement, or the CSM discreetly asking selected passengers if they'd like to pay £X00 pounds to upgrade? Or maybe like a market stall -

"Upgrades, Upgrades - get your juicy flat beds for 250 nicker!"
Old Dec 16, 2012, 1:37 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Can I help you
I don't think I will be finding the time for this!
So, if it's available, you will actually be choosing not to offer it to pax on flights you crew? Wouldn't that just lead to the inconsistent service that people complain about?
Old Dec 16, 2012, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Originally Posted by darthlemsip
So, if it's available, you will actually be choosing not to offer it to pax on flights you crew? Wouldn't that just lead to the inconsistent service that people complain about?
If I am busy then yes I will refuse, if I am not I will do it.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 1:44 pm

Programs: Mucci Entry Level, BA Gold, EK Pleb, SK Pleb, QR Pleb
Originally Posted by darthlemsip
This is he reason why this should be handled by the ground crew. The crew on the airplane is very busy and I admire their patience. Loading 300 pax on a 747 isn't easy. To add some pay for upgrade scheme seems a bit unrealistic to be honest.

Let the ground crew sort his out.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by BAflyer2007
I'd be interested in doing it but would I get all the bits and bobs that goes with First? Would I get CCR access arriving into LHR and connecting to say Newcastle?
For what it is worth, when I was opupped from DXB to LHR last year I was able to access the CCR after arriving at LHR for the connection to NCL.

Old Dec 16, 2012, 2:39 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OneWorld Emerald)
Seen this happen on LX and LH loads of times. If the seats are empty and they can sell them on board, why not? The guy who sat next to me did this from J > F. He was served last and had to use a J blanket, but I think he paid something like £400 for the upgrade.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 2:56 pm

Programs: BAEC, AA, Emirates, Hilton, Hyatt, Taj Hotels
If used with discretion and so long as it doesn't cheapen the premium cabin 'brand' then I suppose there is no harm in this.

It used to be available a few years back - can't say I was ever tempted. Once you've accepted your fate of being in whichever cabin you've paid for, settled into your seat, and got comfortable I find it difficult to then spring for £xxx (and I seem to remember the on-board upgrades were quite pricey) for what is effectively a better seat (other service elements not guaranteed?).

Do you get a choice of seat or will it just be middles that are left over?

If it's £200 on a WTP to CW I suppose it may be tempting, but much more than that and you're into 'What else could I use the money for' territory.

Now the question (as mentioned before) is - do you get the tier points?
Old Dec 16, 2012, 2:57 pm

Programs: BA Silver, MUCCI des Soins Medicaux, Le médecin personnel à PUCCI GALORE
This doesn't sit well with me I'm afraid - even if I might benefit from it at some point.

The CC should not be put in this position I don't think. It could be mayhem, and not very British - although it's well known, we Brits love a queue I foresee a great deal of time absorbed by just explaining to other pax what the SCCM is doing.

Ground crew should take control of this, even at outstations, by pro-actively asking on check-in when applicable. Allowing UUA at T-24 (or less) would also be a great way to provide this service for BA's frequent fliers and it really can't be that much if an IT hassle to sort out, surely

Remember though - it's only a trial, so time will tell whether this is a good move for BA or not. I just suspect this might be more of a headache than some might think.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.