Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Suggested Protocol to try and swap seats with another passenger?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Suggested Protocol to try and swap seats with another passenger?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2012, 3:30 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by SRG
5E/F would be the answer, but being honest I find the light/noise from the galley too much there to sleep (I'm a very light sleeper). I personally would prefer to stick with my original 64K before UUA than 5E or 5F - YMMV of course.
I've seen this comment like this on SeatGuru too, but I don't think it's at all noticeable, particularly in the main part of the cruise. They aren't the best seats for other reasons, but with most crews I don't think the noise or light would be too noticeable. The heavy footer staff member is sometimes more noticeable towards the front.

I'd still mention it in a very gentle way to the cabin Purser on entry, not everyone is seat obsessed (apparently!).
Old Dec 16, 2012, 3:59 am

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
I was rather annoyed on a 3 class 767 sleeper flight on which I had selected 4K (my favourite as it is the least disrupted by meal service etc and does not require one to climb over anyone to get out)) some time before, to be asked by the cabin crew if I would mind moving as an elderly couple were seated separately. As the couple were flappoing around whilst the request was made, what else could I do but say yes ?

It was a perfectly reasonable request and I don't blame anyone for asking, but it was nonetheless annoying.

I think people should be quite circumspect about making such requests, as many people are simply too polite to say no. If one said no when seated in 1A, it would hardly be conducive to a pleasant 13+ hour flight to have refused a request from the the person seated so close to one in 1K.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 5:04 am

Programs: BA Silver
If the objective is to sit next to g/f surely you need to be manoeuvering to get a pair of centre seats? 1A/K are not actually adjacent. You can look at each other across the aisle but is it worth the fuss to get seats that aren't next to each other

For the person in 1K, a request to move back is awkward whether it comes from the passenger or via a member of the cabin crew. I was declined a request to move from my favourite and was made to feel uncomfortable for the duration.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 5:58 am

Programs: BA gold, *A gold, SPG silver, HHonors gold
In my view, getting swap requests and, in general,declining them is an intrinsic part of knowing what seats to choose and how to get them.

For better or worse, air travel is very hierarchical. People shouldn't be afraid to ask, but shouldn't be surprised or annoyed if the request is denied.

And those who decline disadvantageous seat swaps needn't feel any worse than they did when they selected a 'good' seat in the first place.

That said, sometimes the warm glow of doing someone a favour offsets the cost of moving.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 8:55 am

Programs: HH diamond
As someone who has 1K, I will not swap. I have been asked to swap to an "equivalent" seat by cabin crew before. The seats were NOT equivalent. I learned my lesson. I now tell anyone who is trying to swap for my much better seat to swap his/her seat for the one next to his/her SO. I noticed that several times, they will NOT do it.

Because I once got accused of being rude by the other party (who refused to swap for the inferior seats where his GF was), I make sure I say very loudly that the requesting person can swap with his/her SO seatmate. If the person refuses, it is clear who the actual rude (and entitled) person is.

I think your best bet is to look for 2 empty seats next to one another instead of asking for the person in 1K to give up an excellent seat.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Though not strictly BA, on LX F I offered to change my seat so that a couple could sit together, much to their surprise and delight. In the trade I got a solo seat, much to MY delight (1-2-1 layout on LX)
Old Dec 16, 2012, 9:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I wouldn't ask.

Can you not get 2A/K?
Old Dec 16, 2012, 9:38 am

Programs: BA GfL, GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
I would not ask a fellow passenger to swap with me for a seat that I consider it likely to be inferior, because when asked, some people are kind enough to say yes even though they are not very happy. I do not see any reason why anyone should feel obliged to put themselves out for my whim like that, especially when there is a row 5 completely empty.
^ totally agree - was asked once to change seats when it was clear I was with my partner - were in 2 and 3 k.

When I politely said no and gave an explanation (just in case they were not aware), I received a stern look from the lady and she stomped back to her seat.

It kinda ruined the moment - we were just getting ready to take off, after a great trip.

I certainly wouldn't ask under any circumstances.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 9:41 am

Programs: BA bronze
This reminds me of a flight down to NCE a few years ago. I was in CE in 1A, there was a typical NCE pax in 1C

His wife was sitting in CE, but in say row 4, on a aisle, but on the side with 3 seats.

He asked me if I minded swapping with his wife. I said politely no, I am staying here.

He then goes up to CC and asks if they can move me to allow his wife to sit next to me. They said they would not move me. He sits back down lots of huffing and puffing. I suggested to him that maybe he would like to swap with the pax sitting in the middle seat next to his wife. That way he would be next to his wife... he stayed in 1C for the duration of the flight...
Old Dec 16, 2012, 9:54 am

Programs: BA GfL, GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by Speedbird218
This reminds me of a flight down to NCE a few years ago. I was in CE in 1A, there was a typical NCE pax in 1C

His wife was sitting in CE, but in say row 4, on a aisle, but on the side with 3 seats.

He asked me if I minded swapping with his wife. I said politely no, I am staying here.

He then goes up to CC and asks if they can move me to allow his wife to sit next to me. They said they would not move me. He sits back down lots of huffing and puffing. I suggested to him that maybe he would like to swap with the pax sitting in the middle seat next to his wife. That way he would be next to his wife... he stayed in 1C for the duration of the flight...
some peeps are unbelievable, and to then ask the CC !
Old Dec 16, 2012, 10:02 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I've seen this comment like this on SeatGuru too, but I don't think it's at all noticeable, particularly in the main part of the cruise. They aren't the best seats for other reasons, but with most crews I don't think the noise or light would be too noticeable. The heavy footer staff member is sometimes more noticeable towards the front.
I moved seat on my last flight from 2K to 3A/4A (they were both empty) on 777-200 because the woman in 1K was noisy and I had difficulties relaxing or sleeping.

4K was actually pretty quiet. I wasn't bothered by the galley noise from the back at all.

It's a bit different on other aircraft types including 777-300 but I really don't think it would be a huge problem in row 5 either.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by Globalist
Ask the person next to 3K if he or she would like your 1A.

If you would not be willing to make that sacrifice then dont ask anyone else the same?

Globalist
+ 1
Old Dec 17, 2012, 12:45 am

Programs: MUCCI
Here we go again with another first world problem.

There are only reasons I would move from a seat I've been assigned is BA Operational Reasons (i.e. seat technical fault etc), if its a low-load and there is scope to move to a more desirable unoccupied seat during cruise, a family situation where a parent wants to sit next to a kid, or (I wish !) if someone offered to swap me a seat in a higher cabin than the one I am in !

Therefore in any other situation, particularly in a premium cabin, the suggested protocol is to "put up and shut up". Some people might have paid a fair whack for their seat, or saved up for a long time in order to be able to afford the ticket, so just take the seat you've managed to get, they're all the same spec, you get the same food, the same service, the same IFE. Not being able to sit next to your partner for a few hours is not exactly going to land in divorce is it !

As others have suggested, its unfair to put pressure on people (either directly or via crew), because while out of politeness people may yield to such requests, I can assure you they won't be happy ! Particularly if they are in a commonly "desirable" seat position such as 1A/K

P.S. Not taking it out on you specifically SRG.... would say the same to anyone else who expected to be able to swap seats for questionable reasons in a premium cabin.

Last edited by Short Final; Dec 17, 2012 at 12:51 am
Old Dec 17, 2012, 5:02 am
SRG
Original Poster

Programs: KM Flypass, Qatar, Emirates
Thanks for all the more recent replies since I last posted. Not sure if you missed it, but I explained a few posts back that I had decided *not* to even ask, because on reflection it is completely unfair and the person might say yes but not be happy about it - would I want that to happen to me? No, so I'll not do it to someone else.

Internet forums are great to post ideas and other kind people can post with answers or (as in this case) comment as to why its not a good idea. After reading the first few replies I realised I was being unfair in even thinking of asking.

Originally Posted by Short Final
P.S. Not taking it out on you specifically SRG.... would say the same to anyone else who expected to be able to swap seats for questionable reasons in a premium cabin.
Equally not replying just to you Short Final ^ but to anyone who seems to think I am a DYKWIA type - at no point did I say I *expected* to be able to swap seats for any reason. My original post is quite clear, "So at the moment we're working on the basis that I'll remain in 1A with her in 3K as its mostly a sleeper flight anyway, but she can join me in the buddy seat for the meals". I then asked if there was a protocol to try and politely get 1K without annoying Mr/Ms 1K, and *if* I'd received a positive reply (e.g. Yes, this happens all the time - just do x and y) then I'd have done it - but otherwise not.

I received some excellent informative replies in this thread (thank you to those I'm talking about) but equally I seem to have attracted those who didn't read my original post and then started on about if I'm not prepared to move to a seat alongside 3K then I shouldn't expect someone else to move - at no point did I suggest I wouldn't do that. I clearly said if there was a polite way to get my g/f in 1K great, otherwise we leave it - its a sleeper flight after all. Also, there is no seat alongside 3K - there is 4F behind it but that was taken. As I mentioned I could have taken 5e/f - but I explained my reasons against that earlier in the thread.

The early replies showed me I was being unfair for even thinking there might be a protocol so I replied early saying they were right - and I dropped it. Yet since that post I'm being treated as if I expected Mr 1K to move, which is completely unfair and untrue
Old Dec 17, 2012, 5:38 am

Originally Posted by SRG
The early replies showed me I was being unfair for even thinking there might be a protocol so I replied early saying they were right - and I dropped it.
Respect for you for accepting constructive criticism and acting upon it.^ I regularly have rubbish ideas, and I would like to think I am big enough to admit it when I have got it wrong (OK - sometimes I don't admit it, but what can I say - I'm a man!).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.