Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA1333 NCL to LHR - observation on passenger interaction

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA1333 NCL to LHR - observation on passenger interaction

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2012, 12:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Meow Mix
Lightbulb BA1333 NCL to LHR - observation on passenger interaction

Hi All,

Interesting observation on my earlier NCL - LHR flight and would like to see what opinions people have.

We boarded on time and quickly, we were all settled in and captain advised that there was a 30 - 45 minute delay because ATC said so (captain also admitted he was not given a reason for the delay).

Most of the passengers were quiet and seemed to be trying to catch up on some sleep (I know I was). After this initial delay, we pushed back and the screens were lowered. I will list the events in chronological order so it is easier to read.
  1. Safety video starting playing and most people awoke and started paying attention.
  2. Towards the end of the safety video, the CC near row 13 started asking the gentleman in 13F to remove his headphones, stop playing games.
  3. 13F complied promptly, and CC started (with an audible tone (I was in 15F but I could see some in row 11 looking back the commotion)) telling him that "well it did say it in the video but you did not listen obviously".
  4. Tray table unlatched and CC, with gusto, told him that tray tables must be folded away and locked as per the safety video.
  5. CC started walking back towards the rear of the aircraft, doing a final check, but still kept muttering, shaking her head and tutting about 13F. She also had this face .

What I am really asking, is that, could this situation been handled any differently?

In my opinion, the CC should have scanned her immediate area for anyone who was using headphones and instruct them to remove it immediately for the safety video and I have seen them do this. I would have probably chatted with 13F and told him firmly but quietly about the implications and leave it at that and not walk around the cabin with a face and tutting.

/AE
Old Dec 15, 2012, 12:27 pm

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Aérienne du Réseau Courte Durée de British Airways
Well yes, it's pretty obvious that this crew member could have and should have handled the whole situation better.

I agree completely. However lets not have a whole thread discussing how dreadful BA cabin crew are please.

I think it is obvious to all that this crew member is probably in the wrong job!
Old Dec 15, 2012, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by Littlegirl
I think it is obvious to all that this crew member is probably in the wrong job!
Or has previously worked Ryanair
Old Dec 15, 2012, 12:39 pm

Programs: MUCCI
Originally Posted by Littlegirl
However lets not have a whole thread discussing how dreadful BA cabin crew are please.
But but but Miss, please Miss.... this is FlyerTalk .... the place wouldn't be the same with yet another thread descending into a moan about BA cabin crew.

And anyway, I've still got some popcorn left over from watching another thread. ;-)
Old Dec 15, 2012, 1:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by angeloedades
[*]Towards the end of the safety video, the CC near row 13 started asking the gentleman in 13F to remove his headphones, stop playing games.
Sure he was a gentleman and not just a big baby?
Old Dec 15, 2012, 1:18 pm

He could have of course put the head phones in just before she spotted him rather than before the safety video started so maybe she didn't miss anything at the start
Old Dec 15, 2012, 1:22 pm

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
Alright which of you was it? We all know half the plane was people coming back from the Ft do :P
Old Dec 15, 2012, 1:30 pm

Programs: BAEC
He might also have had the headphones on without music, and with "noise reducing" mode on to help hear the video better?

My own comprehension of what is being said during PAs increases from roughly 10% without headphones to around 50% with
Old Dec 15, 2012, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Originally Posted by paul78
Or has previously worked Ryanair

Nahhh, that crew was still in a Xmas party mode.
Originally Posted by Short Final
But but but Miss, please Miss.... this is FlyerTalk .... the place wouldn't be the same with yet another thread descending into a moan about BA cabin crew.

And anyway, I've still got some popcorn left over from watching another thread. ;-)
Pray do tell which thread, I need some entertainment.

Originally Posted by exilencfc
Alright which of you was it? We all know half the plane was people coming back from the Ft do :P

I can attest that it was neither me nor LondonAndy we were on the earlier flight, and yes ours was delayed 15 minutes and ended up being 30minutes late.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 1:51 pm

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Aérienne du Réseau Courte Durée de British Airways
I think we have had a huge big thread about this in the past which went on for months.

You don't have to watch the safety video although of course you should.

You don't have to take your head phones off during the safety video if you don't want to although of course you should.

You do have to remove them for take off though (although if they are BA head phones and plugged into the aircraft system the rules have just changed and you no longer have to).

As long as you don't disturb other passengers from watching the safety video, you don't have to watch it and can read, listen to music etc. although we strongly recomend that you do watch it.

So this crew member should have waited untill the end of the safety video which is actually the part of the video that explains to put your table away and seat upright and calmly then explained to the passenger that he needs to remove his head phones for take off.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 4:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Meow Mix
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Sure he was a gentleman and not just a big baby?
HIDDY,

The big baby had a beard and all the signs of being a man (visually).

/AE

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.