FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   question on BA 16 and syd First lounge (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1417343-question-ba-16-syd-first-lounge.html)

chasingthedream Dec 14, 2012 2:53 am

question on BA 16 and syd First lounge

Hi,

please excuse me if this question has been answered before.

I'm travelling on the sole BA service from syd during christmas period in first. Its my first time. I like to maximise the opportunity as i have never sat on BA first before.

I understand that BA doesn't do early check in at this airport and wonder if this is the case still. there is some information on the first lounge, essentially saying that spa bookings cannot be taken in advance. Wonder how true this is.

I'm not sure about other intricate details about BA first and obviously any info would be helpful. I was drawn to them due to the generous baggage allowance which i understand is up to 32kg per bag.

I tried searching on the forum but most of the information appear to be focussed on US and british airports.

Thanks in advance.

LTN Phobia Dec 14, 2012 3:02 am

Originally Posted by chasingthedream (Post 19854416)
there is some information on the first lounge, essentially saying that spa bookings cannot be taken in advance. Wonder how true this is.

The SYD lounge is a Qantas lounge (not a jointly-operated BA/QF lounge), and only Qantas F passengers can pre-book the spa treatment.

I believe you cannot check in earlier than 3 hours (or thereabouts) for the BA flight at SYD. I don't think it's particularly unique to BA though - even Qantas doesn't like doing an early check in at SYD even if you are their own Platinum member and flying premium class unless you are travelling hand luggage only.

Bluey Dec 14, 2012 4:37 am

I travelled back from Sydney (club) last month and was at the airport 4 hours before BA016 departure. There were BA desks open saying "early check in" or something along those lines. No desks assigned to club or first and a long queue. I waited at the desk next to flight management and was dealt with promptly. Sadly can't advise on first details.

number_6 Dec 14, 2012 4:45 am

QF also offers 32kg per bag allowance (in J and F) and would have let you check in earlier and more importantly reserve spa treatments the day before. Chances are the food/wine will be better than onboard, fwiw

A P Yu Dec 14, 2012 4:58 am

Bluey is correct, there were a couple of desks open at least 4 hours before departure when I left SYD last month

amaroo Dec 14, 2012 5:03 am

Originally Posted by number_6 (Post 19854653)
Chances are the food/wine will be better than onboard, fwiw

Having done both a few times - I agree.

OP no spa booking for non - QF F......however, they allow walk ins on the day. Get there early enough & have a little luck on your side, you'll be ok.

In regards to early check-in. 3 hours is the norm but you can check in earlier if you have HLO or are transiting through SYD.

I've enjoyed many 5+ hours in the lounge as I start my journey from BNE^

cornishsimon Dec 14, 2012 5:08 am

question on BA 16 and syd First lounge

The only work around that guarantees you checking in early is to book a separate connecting flight on QF for instance BNE-SYD

You would then get your BP from QF and be certain of getting through security at SYD and into the F lounge.

cs

chasingthedream Dec 16, 2012 2:41 am

many thanks for the replies.