Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Non-Ticketed Flight with Avios Points- DOT compliant

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:08 am
Original Poster

In early October, I booked two one-way first-class tickets from Baltimore Washington Airport to Miami International Airport using my Avois miles for both my wife and myself. I received a confirmation e-mail with a booking reference number confirming my ticketing. My flight was scheduled to depart BWI the next morning at 6:20 AM.

Upon arrival to BWI, I was informed that my booking was never ticketed that I could not fly on that flight, first class or coach. Since my flight departed at 6:20 AM the BA Executive Club toll free number was not in operation, I was not allowed to board my flight out of BWI to MIA.

After hectically scrambling to find a way to get down to Miami that morning, I was told I could fly out of Washington National to Miami on 8:20 AM flight in Coach at a cost of $420.00 One Way. Luckily, I have the an American Airlines Advantage account that allowed me to purchase two one-way anytime tickets at a cost of 25,000 miles and $75 per ticket. My total purchase for to coach one-way tickets from Washington National to Miami is 50,000 miles and $150.00 expedition fee. The same is booked through BA Avois would have cost me 15,000 Miles and ZERO Dollars.

After filing a compliant with BA, I have been offered a refund of $145.00 for my AA miles plus 10K Avois. It took BA over two months to get back with me. Should I file a DOT compliant? Would I been entitled to the cost of two First Class Tickets if I was? If not, what would a DOT compliant provide? Or should I take the BA offer?
Old Dec 11, 2012, 3:24 pm

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
A similar thing happened to me- I had a single booked from AMS that wasn't ticketed...... I kind of guessed that there would be a problem as it wasn't letting me check-in on line. Anyway, managed to get mine sorted.

Guess I would be looking for an apology and a minimum of 50K avios (to replace your AA miles) plus $150 (ie. insist that it was aproblem of their making and you want to be put back in to the position that you were in before they failed to ticket, plus something for any out-of pocket expenses and agro, plus the fact you didn't travel in F.

Good luck, don't get fobbed off.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 4:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
I'd likewise absolutely insist on a refund of at least 35K Avios (50K AA paid - 15K BA should have been used) plus the $145. And that does not even consider the coach/first issue. If you would have booked a First AAnytime award, you could probably get away with asking for 85K back.

Having the award not ticketed is simply not acceptable, and the fact that the callcentres are not open 24/7 compounds this. If Lufthansa can do it, I fail to see why BA can't.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 5:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

There's no way you'll get your AA miles back but I'd push for more Avios.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 6:10 pm

Programs: MUCCI
Originally Posted by cdavis5711
I have been offered a refund of $145.00 for my AA miles plus 10K Avois.
Is that per person or total?

If TOTAL, it is insulting.
You paid 25K AA and $75 per person, for economy. So, 50k AA and 150 USD total. Your 145 USD refund would not even cover the cash amount.

If is is PER PERSON:
The 'value' / 'cost' of the AA miles you used is a bit OT for this section of FT.
Instinctivly I'd first ask you (being devious), can you buy 25k AA miles? What would that cost you? How would that compare to 70 USD? (145-75)

What is the difference between business and economy on this flight? Were you forced to pay for things you would have recieved in business?

Are they/have they also refunded your Avios used for the booking that wasn't ticketed?

Basically, I'd push for more. Avios might be more forthcoming, but if it is TOTAL, then I'd push for more cash too. I'd probably make my starting point the cash price to buy the AA miles.
Also, don't forget to mention your travel hastle to change airport, etc.

Also, do keep pushing on the phone lines bit. If LH Group can manage it, it is pathetic IAG can not.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, ABSOLUTELY you should contact the DOT, and request a value of $0.02 per mile used (or an equivalent number of Avios) plus 100% of the out-of pocket cost (fees etc.). You were told you had a contract for transportation, and they did not perform. Be succinct and provide all evidence.

What can the DOT do? Your complaint will be assigned to an analyst who will review whether what BA offered was in compliance with its rules (and I submit it was not). And where the DOT analyst concludes that there was a violation of a law or rule, the analyst seeks corrective action, and the complaint is assigned a code that facilitates the identification of patterns of violations and the retrieval of these files for possible future enforcement action, rulemaking, or responses to information request by Congress. BA will have 60 days to respond to the DOT, and believe me, it will.

Finally, as a lesson learned you should always request and have a copy of a numbered e-ticket for all your travels!!
Old Dec 11, 2012, 7:56 pm

Programs: AA GLD Skymiles DM MM, a+ rewards lifetime elite, AS, Marriott plat, PC plat, HH gold
In early October, The same is booked through BA Avois would have cost me 15,000 Miles and ZERO Dollars.
There most likely would have been a $2.50 per segment tax charged for a total of $5 for 2 pax.

Was your credit card charged any taxes/fees for the first class flight where the ticket could not be located?
Old Dec 11, 2012, 7:58 pm

What is it with BA and not ticketing reward travel? I had to call them 3 times to get them to ticket me for a booked trip (weeks after the avios were deducted) and I think I've seen similar complaints here before.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 8:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Homer15
What is it with BA and not ticketing reward travel? I had to call them 3 times to get them to ticket me for a booked trip (weeks after the avios were deducted) and I think I've seen similar complaints here before.
Can take a while if bookings are done over the phone.

The OP's experience is rare.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 8:09 pm

Programs: VA Gold, BA Silver
Originally Posted by Homer15
I can see the ticket-number in the mobile app, but haven't got any email confirmation at all for a recent Qantas avios booking - should I call them or is the mobile ticket number enough?
Old Dec 12, 2012, 4:52 pm
Original Poster

Wow, thanks for all the good advise. Yes, the price quoted ($150 + 15K Avios) was total for 2 passengers. Basically, there saying we'll give you your out of pocket back plus 10K Avois or 5K per ticket and you get to fly in Economy, YEAH. It was far less than I expected. And it took over 2 months, a fax, an email and ten phone calls before I got one correspondence in return.

I did receive a conformation e-mail from BA saying it was confirmed and they did charge my card the $5 per person for ticketing. It was legit.

I flew to Chicago Over the weekend with my family with Avios (4,500 O/W with Avois of of WAS). Two days before my flight AA calls and says they don't have my Birth date and its required by TSA for ticketing. I believe this birthday issue is what had caused my flight to MIA not be ticketed on the AA side. It most probably is because the issue do Day/Month/Year or Month/Day/Year. To complicate the matter, I don't believe BA and AA supply the same conformation numbers after ticketing.

In the End, its looks like I'm going to file a DOT Compliant and ask for the .02 per mile plus the $150.00. Anything else I should know? And thanks again!
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:43 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH M&M Member
Anything else I should know?
Complaint. As in "BA was not compliant with the rules, so I made a complaint to the DOT".

really not trying to be snide, but if you want your complaint to be taken seriously ...
Old Dec 13, 2012, 3:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NeverFirst
Complaint. As in "BA was not compliant with the rules, so I made a complaint to the DOT".

really not trying to be snide, but if you want your complaint to be taken seriously ...
Dyslexia......................................Do you make fun of handicap people too? Just joking. Your right.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
I hope the last two words were part of the joke!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.