Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Household Account - 2 Members

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2012, 3:22 am
Original Poster

Household Account - 2 Members

Assuming one member is no longer flying, is there any disadvantage of combining accounts? Seems like a good idea. @:-)
Old Dec 7, 2012, 3:26 am

Only that the other person can also book award tickets using the total combined balance of the HHA.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 4:48 am
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, BA Lounge Rats, BA Audit Survivors, CW Kitchen Defender, CX Noodle Connoisseurs Club
Originally Posted by st.exupery
Assuming one member is no longer flying, is there any disadvantage of combining accounts? Seems like a good idea. @:-)
Don't forget that you will only be able to book flights for people in the household account if you create one.

Individual accounts can book flights for anybody.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 4:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sinizter
Only that the other person can also book award tickets using the total combined balance of the HHA.
The other person is no longer flying. I believe the addresses have to match on both accounts. Is there a problem (when flying) if my listed BA address doesn't match my ID?
Old Dec 7, 2012, 4:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PanGalactic
Don't forget that you will only be able to book flights for people in the household account if you create one.

Individual accounts can book flights for anybody.
So a household account is limited to household members, whereas individual accounts can be booked for anyone? Maybe it's not such a great idea after all, unless you can revoke it at a later date.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 5:02 am
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, BA Lounge Rats, BA Audit Survivors, CW Kitchen Defender, CX Noodle Connoisseurs Club
So a household account is limited to household members, whereas individual accounts can be booked for anyone? Maybe it's not such a great idea after all, unless you can revoke it at a later date.
That is correct, if you create a household account, you can't book a ticket for someone else who is not in the household account.

Yes, you can break a household account at any time.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 5:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I believe you can add/subtract members at any time, but only once every 6 months.

16.1.7. Once a Household Account is established, new member(s) may not be added or existing member(s) removed more than once every six months. A Household Account may not be dissolved or re-established more than once every six months.
https://www.britishairways.com/trave...&link=main_nav
Old Dec 7, 2012, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by PanGalactic
That is correct, if you create a household account, you can't book a ticket for someone else who is not in the household account.
Of course, you were just about to mention that there is one significant exception to this rule: If you are using a U.S.-based Chase 2-4-1 companion voucher, you are free to take along any companion you wish, including your masseuse, your nanny, your pool boy, etc.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 9:59 am

I think if one member is no longer flying, their miles will still eventually expire even in a HHA where the other member is flying, right?

What are the rules on giving miles to someone? Does it make sense for a member with a smallish balance to just give the miles to the more active member?
Old Dec 7, 2012, 10:03 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Homer15
I think if one member is no longer flying, their miles will still eventually expire even in a HHA where the other member is flying, right?

What are the rules on giving miles to someone? Does it make sense for a member with a smallish balance to just give the miles to the more active member?
If this was a danger, I would recommend moving most of your miles over to Iberia or Avios.com then booking some flights from the HHA account in order to empty the account which will be no longer used first.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 12:29 pm

Programs: Priority Club, TAM Fidelidade, BAEC, Marriott Rewards
Redemption from the household will keep active all the accounts in it. However, if the person is no longer flying, better to spend his miles first and then ditch the account.
Send your avios to Avios.com or Iberia, leaving exact amount for a redemption, book, then dissolve the household and get surplus the avios back.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia
Of course, you were just about to mention that there is one significant exception to this rule: If you are using a U.S.-based Chase 2-4-1 companion voucher, you are free to take along any companion you wish, including your masseuse, your nanny, your pool boy, etc.
Can you take someone else's Nanny?
Old Dec 8, 2012, 1:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by neuromancer
Redemption from the household will keep active all the accounts in it. However, if the person is no longer flying, better to spend his miles first and then ditch the account.
Send your avios to Avios.com or Iberia, leaving exact amount for a redemption, book, then dissolve the household and get surplus the avios back.
In a household account, can you transfer points as you wish from each member? This would bypass the "proportion" allocation when booking on BA.
Old Dec 8, 2012, 1:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by Homer15
Yes unless someone in the HHA has a shiny card.
In a household account, can you transfer points as you wish from each member? This would bypass the "proportion" allocation when booking on BA.
No.
Old Dec 8, 2012, 1:51 am
Original Poster

Apparently Avios.com isn't available for US residents. The goal is to spend as much as possible of the second member's balance. Alternatively, I could forgo the HHA and boost the lower balance through Amex MR or SPG transfer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.