Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

24 hour cooling off period for online bookings?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2012, 12:25 am
Original Poster

I know you get a 24 hr period to cancel free of charge if you book over the phone and there was some debate about whether that applies to online bookings too. I have read general T and C's but I can't see it. I always get worried booking online on a non refundable non changeable sale fare about making spelling mistakes or a stupid mistake somehow.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 12:29 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

It applies to all bookings these days.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 12:44 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Silver, A Club
We've recently cancelled an online booking within the 24hr period and it was all fine. It says on your email confirmation that you can cancel. One exception though is if u book a hotel or car hire with the flight.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 12:51 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
Just confirming the other 2 posters. It definitely applies online.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 1:06 am

Programs: BA Silver (Oneworld Sapphire), VS Silver, Skywards Blue, UA General, Qantas Bronze.
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
It applies to all bookings these days.
Originally Posted by DWFI
Just confirming the other 2 posters. It definitely applies online.
Flight-only bookings though. Book a hotel/car with your flight and the 24-hour cancellation period does not apply (unless things have changed since March when I tried to cancel a car/flight package).
Old Dec 10, 2012, 1:58 am

also just like to confirm that it does not apply if you book a flight within 24 hours of departure
Old Dec 10, 2012, 2:03 am

Last edited by angatol; Mar 1, 2015 at 2:21 am
Old Dec 10, 2012, 3:09 am

Programs: QF LTG, LH (SEN*** till 02/26), AF, AA, AB-G†
Originally Posted by angatol
Can you cancel online or do you have to call?
I did call. The Agents in the German Call Centre are just lovely. I booked a weekendtrip with my wife - finding out that our parents could not take the kids that weekend. We just moved the flight to the next weekend free of any charges (for nonchangable tickets).

Thank You!!!
Old Dec 10, 2012, 3:15 am

Programs: BA Gold, Virgin Atlantic Silver, AF/KLM Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold, Accor
If you change the booking after you make it (e.g. to take advantage of an upgrade offer) you cannot then cancel it under the 24hr rule (as you are deemed to have accepted the original booking)

So you can only cancel the original booking within the 24hr period
Old Dec 10, 2012, 3:28 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH M&M Member
Originally Posted by matinée-allstars
If you change the booking after you make it (e.g. to take advantage of an upgrade offer) you cannot then cancel it under the 24hr rule (as you are deemed to have accepted the original booking)

So you can only cancel the original booking within the 24hr period
I would call nonsense on that.

http://www.britishairways.com/travel...e/public/en_gb says
If you notice a mistake with your booking after you have paid for your ticket(s), you can cancel your flight booking and claim a full refund without penalty, up to 24 hours from when you make the original booking.

Refunds under these circumstances can only be requested by calling our contact centres.

The following types of booking are not covered by this guarantee:

Bookings made for travel within 24 hours of booking.
Bookings where immediate payment is not required.
Package bookings or flights booked with hotels, car hire or experiences.
Just because you upgraded your tickets does not mean that there was not an error. It just means that you had not noticed the error.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 4:59 am
Original Poster

Thanks so much everyone!
It just nice to know that I have 24 hours just in case I make some form of mistake.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 1:06 pm

Programs: BAEC Ex Gold, Now Silver :)
Originally Posted by NeverFirst
I would call nonsense on that.

http://www.britishairways.com/travel...e/public/en_gb says

Just because you upgraded your tickets does not mean that there was not an error. It just means that you had not noticed the error.
I had made a MFU booking which needed changing within the 24 hour period. The agent expressly checked to see if the MFU was made after the booking or in one transaction.
He did say that amendments after the booking in the 24 hour period invalidate the T24 rule.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 1:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by saleemarshad
He did say that amendments after the booking in the 24 hour period invalidate the T24 rule.
Which is only fair.

Cock it up twice you don't deserve to be reimbursed.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 1:28 pm

Programs: bmi ba virgin
It also opens up the option to make a miles booking, and then keep an eye on availability, and if something better appears, then cancel the original booking without cancellation charges, and rebook. This is particularly useful for bookings departing within a few days when availability can change quickly.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 1:28 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH M&M Member
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Which is only fair.

Cock it up twice you don't deserve to be reimbursed.
It's fair, but it's not what they say on their own website.

People (companies) really have to stop writing one set of rules then applying a different set of rules.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.