Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why the flight were always late? How come?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2012, 1:55 am

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Aérienne du Réseau Courte Durée de British Airways
Originally Posted by N830MH
Why the flight were always late, but I am not quite sure. How come? They have be an improvement on-time performance. Helps those passengers to get in the aircraft on-time and save the time. Must reduced the congestion. Because it was too many aircraft are awaited for takeoff from LHR. I knows there is no new third runway and they have to be reduction the congestions. All airlines will have to shifted out of LHR. Because it was too many airlines at LHR. Due to the slots controlled. LHR is an slots restricted.

It's time to start built new third runway for LHR. Must demolished the old house and they have to bring more room for third runway extension. All airlines have to be reduced the congestion. Because LHR Is getting more extremely overcrowded. There is no more slots available. BA have to fixed the congestion and improved on-time performance. I think it's time to built third new runway immediately. They have to save the time. I really am.
Yes, I completely agree, we do need a third runway.

However flights do tend to run on time when the weather is good. If we have high winds or fog, then we do get delays but in general it is quite good.

Hopefully your trip to Basil will be fine but even if there are delays, the BA staff at LHR will look after you and rebook you but hopefully you will sale through with no problems.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 2:25 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
BA are always late because operating flights on time (or even operating them at all sometimes), is not in their company ethos.

Every airline has to decide where it's priorities are. Do they want to operate flights on time, or do they want to save money?

Now because there is going to be some delay at LHR, BA have decided for the 2nd option, and in fact to not bother even trying to operate on time even if they could. They just say "oh but we fly to Heathrow and it's the airports fault".

BA fly slower than most of the other big airlines, and if they are late they won't fly any faster as this just uses more fuel, and as mentioned before, money saving out-ranks schedule performance at BA.

At other airlines (operating from the other major hubs of Europe), on-time performance is more important and thus they will spend a little more money on fuel and get there a bit quicker.

The same principles apply at BA with regard to cancelling flights. It's much easier for them to just cancel flights en-mass rather than actually TRY to operate flights sometimes. Money saving is No.1 , passengers are much less important to BA.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 2:33 am

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Aérienne du Réseau Courte Durée de British Airways
Originally Posted by Airprox
BA are always late because operating flights on time (or even operating them at all sometimes), is not in their company ethos.

Every airline has to decide where it's priorities are. Do they want to operate flights on time, or do they want to save money?

Now because there is going to be some delay at LHR, BA have decided for the 2nd option, and in fact to not bother even trying to operate on time even if they could. They just say "oh but we fly to Heathrow and it's the airports fault".

BA fly slower than most of the other big airlines, and if they are late they won't fly any faster as this just uses more fuel, and as mentioned before, money saving out-ranks schedule performance at BA.

At other airlines (operating from the other major hubs of Europe), on-time performance is more important and thus they will spend a little more money on fuel and get there a bit quicker.

The same principles apply at BA with regard to cancelling flights. It's much easier for them to just cancel flights en-mass rather than actually TRY to operate flights sometimes. Money saving is No.1 , passengers are much less important to BA.
I don't think any of this post is accurate or factual.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 2:34 am

Originally Posted by Littlegirl
I don't think any of this post is accurate or factual.
Apologies, I should have pointed out that some of it is my opinion, and some of it is fact.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 2:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ColdWalker
So I guess that BA make an allowance for delayed departure in their flight timings. Not that that detracts from the OPs point - making an allowance is just another way of saying planning to be late!
What a strange way to look at things. So if you plan extra-time to go round the M25 because you are traveling at rush hour rather than at 4am in the morning, you are "planning to be late" ?

IMO, I expect an airline to design its timetable around the realistic expectation of when the flight will arrive rather than a theoretical best time which is regularly missed due to, eg, congestion. This makes timetables far more reliable and therefore something that you can reasonably rely on.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 3:37 am

Programs: BAEC Blue
I think all airlines factor in some holding time at Heathrow into their timetables. Take BA v SAS, flights departing around 17.00 on a Friday evening:

SAS OSL-LHR 2:20 LHR-OSL 2:10

BA OSL-LHR 2:25 LHR-OSL 2:05

Pretty similar times, wouldn't you say? With the times to Heathrow being a little longer than from.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 3:41 am

Originally Posted by Chris C
I think all airlines factor in some holding time at Heathrow into their timetables. Take BA v SAS, flights departing around 17.00 on a Friday evening:

SAS OSL-LHR 2:20 LHR-OSL 2:10

BA OSL-LHR 2:25 LHR-OSL 2:05

Pretty similar times, wouldn't you say? With the times to Heathrow being a little longer than from.
It can never be exact because the people who set the predicted flight times cannot know the exact wind speeds that day or if an ATC strike is going to be called that week! They have to make judgements using statistics and quite often winter schedules are longer than summer schedules and ths is because wind speeds are often lower during different times of the year.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 3:53 am

Programs: BA Blue
Why do you think that delaying a departure or cancelling a flight saves them any money?
I would have thought it was exactly the opposite.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 4:02 am

Programs: BA: Silver,
But late from when? push-back, take-off, landing or at the gate? Or even doors open, or through immigration and baggage...

The times that I have pushed back on time but waited ages for a take-off slot, or taken-off late, but arrived on time... Or the dreaded, land on time but to a remote stand and had to wait for the steps...

I think that BA is pretty good at getting its passengers to their destinations at (or about) the published times.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 4:18 am

Originally Posted by Smithy
Why do you think that delaying a departure or cancelling a flight saves them any money?
I would have thought it was exactly the opposite.
Apologies again, the cost saving part was specifically with reference to trading fuel efficiency for shorter flying time.

As for cancelling flights, this is mostly just my frustration at BA failing to get me home for Christmas the last 4 consecutive years when they could have operated flights but simply chose not to. They are of course well known in the industry for simply cancelling an entire days flying programme rather than just specific flights when there is the first sign of a disrupted travel day.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 4:37 am

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
They are of course well known in the industry for simply cancelling an entire days flying programme rather than just specific flights when there is the first sign of a disrupted travel day.
Can you cite some examples of this? I'm quite sure that an entire day's flying programme would amount to easily 500+ flights and disruption of many, many thousands of passengers, not to mention the cost of all of that to the airline. Your conjecture is wonderful, but where is the evidence?
Old Nov 23, 2012, 4:40 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Diamond + Ambassador, Accor Gold, Avis President's Club, Heathrow Rewards
Apologies, I should have pointed out that some of it is my opinion, and some of it is fact.
Having read your post several times, I certainly saw quite a bit of opinion, but I was unable to spot even the tiniest fact.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 5:18 am

That may well be your opinion, but it is completely wrong.
Since T5 opened and the 35 minute conformance rule was implemented BA's on time performance has sky rocketed and still is much better than in the past. Suggesting that they would have a policy in place of delaying flights to save money is frankly speaking, rubbish
Old Nov 23, 2012, 5:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Apologies again, the cost saving part was specifically with reference to trading fuel efficiency for shorter flying time.

As for cancelling flights, this is mostly just my frustration at BA failing to get me home for Christmas the last 4 consecutive years when they could have operated flights but simply chose not to. They are of course well known in the industry for simply cancelling an entire days flying programme rather than just specific flights when there is the first sign of a disrupted travel day.
You are partly correct. BA does cancel some flights ahead of time usually during periods of weather disruption and mostly on routes which are served multiple times a day. Glasgow especially sees its fair share of this however it's done for all the right reasons and not just to save money.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 6:28 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by matthandy
Can you cite some examples of this? I'm quite sure that an entire day's flying programme would amount to easily 500+ flights and disruption of many, many thousands of passengers, not to mention the cost of all of that to the airline. Your conjecture is wonderful, but where is the evidence?
I can.
December 19th-22nd 2010 !!
I was stuck connecting from VS (EWR) to MUC. My BA connection was cancelled "due to weather" while Lufthansa was still flying for a further 4 hours. BA was not reachable by phone for 2 days. I ended up booking a Lufthansa flight at my own cost. My claim for reimbursment was met with a paltry "You rebooked voluntarily and therefore relieved us of our duty to fly you to MUC". My claim for hotel expenses was rejected for the same reason. Even my request for refund of the unused portion of the ticket was rejected since EWR-LHR costs more than EWR-MUC.

Was I angry, you bet I was. Did I stop flying BA because of that? No. Just know what you're getting into. My luggage arrived in MUC on January 2nd and I succesfully claimed €800 for that although I needed a lawyer to get it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.