Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FT Experts Can you help me get to the Philippines?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FT Experts Can you help me get to the Philippines?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2012, 3:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by moondog
It's pretty bad, Padmeister... when I lived there, I almost never left Makati unless I had a private car/driver arranged... guns everywhere, and the value of your life isn't all that high.
I am really wondering about going to this place now

But i really like this girl i have asked her about the place and she says its fine and her 3 brothers will look after me apparently
Old Nov 25, 2012, 4:44 am

Programs: Meow Mix
It's pretty bad, Padmeister... when I lived there, I almost never left Makati unless I had a private car/driver arranged... guns everywhere, and the value of your life isn't all that high.
I can vouch for this, I myself, a Filipino, the moment you have a scent of being abroad you are automatically rich to rebels.

Do not use the jeep at all cost! It is very dangerous if you are not a native. Lots of pick-pocketers, hold-ups (this is what we call it when someone holds a gun to your face and demands everything you have).

On the other hand, I would recommend to visit a jollibee

/AE
Old Nov 25, 2012, 4:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Padmeister
is it really that bad hunter of swans?
Well, it is the only place in the world one of my colleagues has been robbed in her room. In the Shangri La Makati.... That said I know plenty of people have a safe trip but personally I am not keen. Anywhere with a lax approach to gun control is going to be inherently more dangerous.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 5:07 am

I've no idea what a jollibee is (off to Google shortly) but I already want to visit one
Old Nov 25, 2012, 5:55 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by windowontheAside
I've no idea what a jollibee is
Think KFC - instead of chicken and fries they serve chicken and rice.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 5:57 am
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA GS-2MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
Manila, the one place in Asia where I have been genuinely concerned for my personal safety. Take care.
Swanhunter you baby! I have been there at least a dozen times this year and I dont think I have ever been worried. Be vigilant - yes. Be paranoid. No.

Fly BlingAir - 1600 quid from CMB in J (ok, you'll need to position yourself to CMB)

Or CX from CMB is also an option (again, you need to position to CMB). It's a steal at 865 quid in J (and you'll earn Aviators - or whatever the hell you BA people call them ) Out on 20 Dec, back on 30 Dec.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 5:59 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by Swanhunter

Well, it is the only place in the world one of my colleagues has been robbed in her room. In the Shangri La Makati....
Shangri-La Makati: the only place in the world where a hooker has knocked on my door touting for business - while Mrs PtF (and Miss PtF) were in the room with me. ^ ??
Old Nov 25, 2012, 6:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eightblack
Swanhunter you baby! I have been there at least a dozen times this year and I dont think I have ever been worried. Be vigilant - yes. Be paranoid. No.

Fly BlingAir - 1600 quid from CMB in J (ok, you'll need to position yourself to CMB)

Or CX from CMB is also an option (again, you need to position to CMB). It's a steal at 865 quid in J (and you'll earn Aviators - or whatever the hell you BA people call them ) Out on 20 Dec, back on 30 Dec.
A few of us call them Harribos but i like the sound of Aviators

Thanks for your advice on the flights
Old Nov 25, 2012, 7:54 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
... guns everywhere, and the value of your life isn't all that high.
I though that was Texas
Old Nov 25, 2012, 8:45 am

Programs: QF Gold, WY Gold
LHR-HKG-MNL is now the fastest and shortest way to the Philippines due to the great circle routing, if you want to enjoy valuable time with your 'mahal?'.

My wife is originally from the Philippines, and for a brief time she was back there whilst I was in the UK. I often flew out BA to HKG, and she'd fly from Manila with Cathay and then we really could maximise a long weekend together.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 9:39 am
Original Poster

UPDATE!

Thank you to all of you who have helped me with this!

I have booked up today and got an awesome deal i think! nearly went with Emirates from BHX but managed to get the following instead

LHR-HKG Club World 747-400 20-30th return £2002 BARGAIN

My Question is i would love to upgrade the outbound from LHR to First! using Avios? do you think i am dreaming? i will keep checking every day! but are the chances very low for me?

just got to sort out the Hong Kong to Manila flight now

But so far well pleased!

Thanks Again!

Last edited by Padmeister; Nov 30, 2012 at 9:59 am
Old Nov 30, 2012, 4:11 pm

Programs: BA Gold, A3 White, HH Gold, Accor Plat.
Good on ya Padmeister. ^

I love the Philippines, it's a great place.

I am happy to share my experience of Manila:

I have been several times and despite hearing that it was like the wild west, I have had no problems, IMHO it is certainly no worse than some other cities.

On my first visit, it seemed ok, but i only stayed a day before heading out to Puerto Galera.

On my second visit i stayed a few days and maybe it was where i was but walking out of the hotel and around the corner was not pleasant, I did not hang around enough to find out what might have happened if i loitered and just got off to where i was going.

On my third visit, I stayed in the greenbelt area, there are a few bars there with discreet armed security on the entry points. (westerners walk in and out fine, locals I don't know). I liked it there, very safe feeling, decent bars/food, and of course pretty girls! http://www.manilagateway.com/enterta...greenbelt.html

That said I have drank and eaten around Manila and been fine, trip advisor is probably worth a look.

I am actually back in Manila (via ICN on the looney bus) from the 17th Dec to the 21st, decide this time to stay at the Sofitel (£70ish a night) while I wait for a friend to join me to head down to PG for xmas and new year. The Sofitel looks reasonably close (taxi). (and the points are handy)

All that said, manila is just a big dirty city (not my thing), I always head off from there to somewhere worth diving, PG, Malapascua or similar.

Have a great trip
Old Dec 1, 2012, 2:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jonboy73
Good on ya Padmeister. ^

I love the Philippines, it's a great place.

I am happy to share my experience of Manila:

I have been several times and despite hearing that it was like the wild west, I have had no problems, IMHO it is certainly no worse than some other cities.

On my first visit, it seemed ok, but i only stayed a day before heading out to Puerto Galera.

On my second visit i stayed a few days and maybe it was where i was but walking out of the hotel and around the corner was not pleasant, I did not hang around enough to find out what might have happened if i loitered and just got off to where i was going.

On my third visit, I stayed in the greenbelt area, there are a few bars there with discreet armed security on the entry points. (westerners walk in and out fine, locals I don't know). I liked it there, very safe feeling, decent bars/food, and of course pretty girls! http://www.manilagateway.com/enterta...greenbelt.html

That said I have drank and eaten around Manila and been fine, trip advisor is probably worth a look.

I am actually back in Manila (via ICN on the looney bus) from the 17th Dec to the 21st, decide this time to stay at the Sofitel (£70ish a night) while I wait for a friend to join me to head down to PG for xmas and new year. The Sofitel looks reasonably close (taxi). (and the points are handy)

All that said, manila is just a big dirty city (not my thing), I always head off from there to somewhere worth diving, PG, Malapascua or similar.

Have a great trip
Thanks JonBoy

I am looking forward to it now! The girl i am meeting actually lives in Quezon City which she says is about an hour from manila Airport!

Its going to be a good Adventure and she is HOT so that will help!

Thanks for your advice and i will check out the "Greenbelt" area with her

I will report back when i get home the end of december!

Thanks Again!
Old Dec 1, 2012, 4:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Padmeister
Thanks for your advice and i will check out the "Greenbelt" area with her
Try to score the Shangri-la; yes, you'll be bombarded by working girls, but the scene is the same at the Intercon, Penn (lady boy central!), and MO. The Shang has the best pool of the four, and is closest to Greenbelt, though all are within walking distance.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 4:47 am
Original Poster

Try to score the Shangri-la; yes, you'll be bombarded by working girls, but the scene is the same at the Intercon, Penn (lady boy central!), and MO. The Shang has the best pool of the four, and is closest to Greenbelt, though all are within walking distance.
Hi

I am sure that will go down well with my girl i am meeting if i am bombarded by working girls when i am with her

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.