Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FT Experts Can you help me get to the Philippines?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FT Experts Can you help me get to the Philippines?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2012, 6:19 am

Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer
Your WTP itinerary has a 24 hour Christmas Day/Boxing Day layover in HKG - after that I'm surprised anyone reads your posts.
Yes, well, I usually spend all of Christmas day with my in-laws visiting... so is it any wonder if I start finding other people ways to spend 24h doing something else?

Compared with what's usually on offer at our place, being stuck at HKG airport all day on Christmas day sounds like heaven on earth
Old Nov 22, 2012, 6:29 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by shorthauldad

Yes, well, I usually spend all of Christmas day with my in-laws visiting... Compared with what's usually on offer at our place, being stuck at HKG airport all day on Christmas day sounds like heaven on earth
Then maybe you should join Padmeister and get yourself a Filipina wife.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 6:16 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Emirates Skywards, Lufthansa, Accor A Club, S
I have always fancied visiting The Phillippines and almost did that a few years ago on my way back from Beijing, stopping off in HK. Strikes me that the country and its people are truly fascinating; a few weeks ago, The Phillippines had its sovereign debt rating UPGRADED by a ratings agency! In this age of austerity, that is quite an achievement.
Surely flying Cathay Pacific to HK and then getting a short hop to Fils is the best way to get there and earning some Avios at the same time?
Old Nov 23, 2012, 6:49 am

Have you looked at Royal Jordanian? They are usually incredibly cheap in business from LHR to BKK/HKG, and the two legs on either end would be good enough for BAEC Silver in one go

Oh and quick tip for the final leg... if you look on Cathay Pacific's site at 8am HKT on Tuesdays they load up 'fanfares'. Not always to the destinations you want, but they are seriously cheap. 1990HKD (160 quid) from HKG to ORD was one example this Tuesday gone.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 7:10 am

Programs: BA Blue
Just fly from BHX to MNL via DXB on Emirates as I have done many times. You're in the Midlands - getting to LHR is a complete pain. Emirates will pick you up and drop you back.

The only way you can get a cheap BA fare is to hop across to AMS first - so you're going to do LHR > AMS > LHR > HKG > MNL. I think BHX > DXB > MNL is far more attractive.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 7:12 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
May I boldly suggest:
BA: LHR-FRA-LHR for currently around GBP130 in whY, nesting
CX: FRA-HKG-MNL-HKG-FRA in Biz (I) for €2603 = GBP 2097

And ... 380TP too

That's what I'd do.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 7:22 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
OT

Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer
Then maybe you should join Padmeister and get yourself a Filipina wife.
The penalty for bigamy is too severe.

Two mothers-in-law
Old Nov 23, 2012, 9:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
This is Seriously Great Advice Guys So Much Choice!

i do Fancy giving Emirates a Go and to be able to fly from Birmingham PHOL like you say would be easy and save alot of hassle!

But i wont have the Flag on the Tail Fin

Decisions Decisions!

But Honestly cannot fault you these ideas and help is Great!

Thank you!

Old Nov 23, 2012, 11:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Chris Gilmour
I have always fancied visiting The Phillippines and almost did that a few years ago on my way back from Beijing, stopping off in HK. Strikes me that the country and its people are truly fascinating; a few weeks ago, The Phillippines had its sovereign debt rating UPGRADED by a ratings agency! In this age of austerity, that is quite an achievement.
Surely flying Cathay Pacific to HK and then getting a short hop to Fils is the best way to get there and earning some Avios at the same time?
It's been a long time since I studied international finance, but I haven't forgotten the lessons about country risk or the fact that Transparency International has continually placed the Phils in the bottom decile of its corruption rankings. When you're already in the cellar, up is the only direction to move.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 1:10 am

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
Two suggestions

KLM BHX-MNL £2145 www.netflights.com

Or LCC BHX-AMS Fare unknown then Emirates AMS-DXB-MNL and return on an A380 to DXB and Return approx £2000 RT
Old Nov 24, 2012, 5:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UncleDude
Two suggestions

KLM BHX-MNL £2145 www.netflights.com

Or LCC BHX-AMS Fare unknown then Emirates AMS-DXB-MNL and return on an A380 to DXB and Return approx £2000 RT
Emirates A380 is very Tempting

Thank you for your input.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 7:34 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I've just this second got home from manila and do travel there for work fairly frequently, always in J, thanks to a sensible company travel policy.

Living up North, Emirates or Etihad via the gulf are feasible options. Neither are as good as BA for various reasons IMHO, but they are convenient. (From GLA with Emirates, it's 777 for both legs - 2 legs of A380 would sway it for me in EK's favour)

If you want to use OW, HKG is probably the best connection point and my preference is to use CX for the long haul sector in preference to BA because the beds are better for me. Having said that there is more chance of getting upped to F if flying with BA.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Manila, the one place in Asia where I have been genuinely concerned for my personal safety. Take care.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 9:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Swanhunter
Manila, the one place in Asia where I have been genuinely concerned for my personal safety. Take care.
is it really that bad hunter of swans?
Old Nov 24, 2012, 10:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Padmeister
is it really that bad hunter of swans?
It's pretty bad, Padmeister... when I lived there, I almost never left Makati unless I had a private car/driver arranged... guns everywhere, and the value of your life isn't all that high.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.