Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Only Slightly OT - Virgin win EDI & ABZ Heathrow routes

Only Slightly OT - Virgin win EDI & ABZ Heathrow routes

Old Nov 21, 2012, 1:12 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

There are two big issues I have with SRB's endeavour I am still finding very difficult to comprehend.

Why go to all the expense of wet leasing aircraft and crews, as well as throwing untold funds into marketing new services which at best will return marginal profits (if any at all) when the EU imposed a condition on BA to open up its domestic feed to competitors. Is there a commercial advantage running your own airline i'm missing here?

Also, looking at the Virgin Group's broader commercial interests, surely this new enterprise pays ruin to all ambitions Virgin rail had for the East coast mainline franchise (linking London with Aberdeen and Edinburgh)
Old Nov 21, 2012, 1:32 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Prospero
There are two big issues I have with SRB's endeavour I am still finding very difficult to comprehend.

Why go to all the expense of wet leasing aircraft and crews, as well as throwing untold funds into marketing new services which at best will return marginal profits (if any at all) when the EU imposed a condition on BA to open up its domestic feed to competitors. Is there a commercial advantage of running your own airline i'm missing here?

Also, looking at the Virgin Group's broader commercial interests, surely this new enterprise pays ruin to all ambitions Virgin rail had for the East coast mainline franchise (linking London with Aberdeen and Edinburgh)
Although I am always welcome to open competition, not least for keeping BA prices in check, for the reasons given I suspect that this is a bit of a half calculated vanity project.

I have read through a number of VS announcements and I am intrigued to know if VS believe that there are any other airlines other than BA/IAG, as BA/IAG is the only one they ever quote as being in competition with them. It is almost like an obsession with them. I wonder if they would have bothered setting up domestics if it was airline other than BA that was giving up slots?
Old Nov 21, 2012, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My understanding from those far wiser than I is

* operate for 3 years with the wet lease
* slots then become VS's to use for any routes

...so in 2016 expect the routes to be cancelled with regret and more profitable destinations overseas put in place. Very shrewd and in the meantime a load more boring VS spin about bringing the fight to BA.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 2:14 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
My understanding from those far wiser than I is

* operate for 3 years with the wet lease
* slots then become VS's to use for any routes

...so in 2016 expect the routes to be cancelled with regret and more profitable destinations overseas put in place. Very shrewd and in the meantime a load more boring VS spin about bringing the fight to BA.
I thought that Ian001 scotched this idea further up this thread, however I do agree VS will try it on as soon as they can.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 3:43 pm

Programs: SK*G, BA Silver, Flying Blue, VLM, VT Traveller, PC Platinum, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by cornishsimon
Originally Posted by Prospero

The airline said it was working with a leasing partner to provide narrow-body Airbus A320 aircraft to operate the short-haul flights.
Do we know who yet ?

cs

Do we know who yet ?

cs

Old BMi crew, using old BMi aircraft leased from BA. That is what I heard.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 3:55 pm

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Arienne du Rseau Courte Dure de British Airways
Originally Posted by globalste
Old BMi crew, using old BMi aircraft leased from BA. That is what I heard.
http://flyavex.com/carrier-oppurtunities
Old Nov 21, 2012, 4:12 pm

Programs: SK*G, BA Silver, Flying Blue, VLM, VT Traveller, PC Platinum, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by Littlegirl
Oh lord. They operate a Saab 340 out of Aberdeen and cause enough problems with that.

Surely Virgin are going to have strip out and refit these 20yr old A320s if they want them looking all shiney and spangly.

This page inspires me the most, Chief Pilot has been flying 6 years.
http://flyavex.com/management
Old Nov 21, 2012, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by RedMark
Yep great news BA used to charge 98 return on ABZ-LHR cheapest economy and upon merging all the bmi flights to BA the lowest return jumped to 146 return just a 50% increase!
Not helped by Flybe pulling out of the LGW route either because it wasn't profitable enough.

I noticed the ramp up in prices too, during the merger I was hopping the BMi Embraer because I could get it on a BA code for 45 ^

Now as you say, nothing exists for less than 70 each way
Old Nov 21, 2012, 4:50 pm

Don't worry yourself Globalste, the folks on here believe it's just public transport and all pilots are just bus drivers, and therefore come way after price/cabin crew/snacks/champagne type in the lounge...

It's got Virgin on the ticket, must be alright eh?
Old Nov 21, 2012, 6:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Littlegirl

...so in 2016 expect the routes to be cancelled with regret and more profitable destinations overseas put in place..
Indeed......that's assuming Virgin still be around in 2016.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 2:28 am

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Arienne du Rseau Courte Dure de British Airways
HIDDY!

How did you manage to get that quote attached to my name!!!!

That was a quote made by Swanhunter not me.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 7:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Interesting:
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-1...e-partner.html

cs
Old Dec 9, 2012, 10:39 pm

Programs: QF LTS, Marriott LTP, ALL GOLD
Flights will be operated by Aer Lingus with staff in full VS uniforms and aircraft in Virgin Atlantic livery.

Initially 4 x A320's with 174 seats will be wetleased.

Hot breakfast service and snacks offered at other times.

All flights operate into LHR T1 with Scottish flights on sale from 21 December - lead in fares from 99 return.

3 daily x LHR-ABZ

6 daily x LHR-EDI
Old Dec 9, 2012, 11:04 pm

Programs: Mucci du Miel d'Or
Originally Posted by ANstar
Flights will be operated by Aer Lingus with staff in full VS uniforms and aircraft in Virgin Atlantic livery.

Initially 4 x A320's with 174 seats will be wetleased.

Hot breakfast service and snacks offered at other times.

All flights operate into LHR T1 with Scottish flights on sale from 21 December - lead in fares from 99 return.

3 daily x LHR-ABZ

6 daily x LHR-EDI
Impressed with 6 daily flights to EDI. That's fairly decent competition. Hope BA rise to the challenge and respond. Maybe they'll offer something to eat in in the evening? Even a sub sandwich would be good.

But surprised that VS(EI) are just emulating BA service standards. I thought they might do something different. Even the prices don't appear to be lower.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 12:45 am
Suspended
Hilton Contributor Badge

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10A525 Safari/8536.25)

174 seats...eek!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.