Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Should a Captain read through the safety announcement?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2012, 12:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium

Currently at LHR en route to SIN and whilst flying down from GLA this afternoon, I shared the front row with a BA Captain (I'm guessing, but 3 white stripes means Captain doesn't it?)

He was immersed in 4x4 magazine whilst we were boarding and when the safety announcement was being delivered, despite the fact that the FA was less than a yard from him, his eyes never left his magazine.

Now I know he must have heard it squillions of times and is much better trained on what to do in an emergency than the rest of the passengers, but to me that behaviour is inexcusable.

Firstly, cabin crew generally have a hard time engaging passengers in listening to the safety announcement and what sort of an example is set if a uniformed member of BA staff pays zero attention to the announcement.

Secondly, and more worryingly, if he feels he is entitled to ignore one important safety procedure, what happens when he gets into the cockpit? Will he skip other procedures because he doesn't see the value?

I am tempted to send a snottogram to BA with sufficient information to identify the miscreant and see if they follow it up.

I was cheesed off that our TA put me onto SQ for tonight's flight, but having seen a potential candidate for our pilot in action, I'm not so sure now.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
All staff should lead my example and watch the video.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 12:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Coals to Newcastle for him maybe?

Witnessing such a thing wouldn't bother me in the slightest.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 12:49 pm
Suspended
Hilton Contributor Badge

Personally it wouldnt bother me at all.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 12:53 pm

Programs: BA Gold, and others
I'd say this is overreaction.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 12:53 pm

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
thegoderic.....
3 stripes is a senior first officer (Right hand seat)

And if he is positioning, he will be on these aircraft all the time.... so should know the safety card back to front.....

Out of courtesy he should at least put the magazine away, and at least appear to acknowledge the crew IMHO.

On another safety matter, how often do we as individuals walk around our cars and check the tyres, lights, and brakes before we trundle off down the road?
Old Nov 17, 2012, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I dont really see what the problem is. He has training every year, and knows much more than is on the card or told to normal people on the plane.

If, hopefully not, there is a real problem, then I expect them to be much better in the situation than anyone else.

Is it really a problem that needs to be worried about.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 12:58 pm

I think I would find it slightly disconcerting if my pilot appeared to be listening intently to the safety announcement.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 12:58 pm

I would expect him to pay attention. Partly as CIHY says, to set an example. But also because he needs to also be in the mindset of "passenger" in an emergency (unless asked by the crew to take a role in the proceedings). Watching the video would remind him of this.

No different from the rest of us, who get reminded each flight of the seat belt mechanism, in the hope that in emergency we don't panic and think it works like a car seat belt.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 1:11 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Avis Presidents Club
It's not helped by the way BA safety announcements start with the most boring (& obvious) thing: seatbelts. That makes everyone switch off straight away, and should be the very last thing mentioned - if at all.

If the announcement started with things that were *different* about that plane (exits, lighting, lifejacket position etc) than more people would pay attention.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 1:17 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I was told by an ex cabin crew that one of their pet peeves was people intently ignoring the safety announcement, and I'm a little surprised that the first officer didn't pay attention. On the couple of occasions that I've been around flight crew, they did quite noticeably make it look as if they were paying attention.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 1:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, Gulf Air Silver, Aegean Gold, M&M FQTV, Air Malta Diamond
IMHO, if he isn't part of the crew, he is a passenger, end of story and should behave as any other passenger and pay attention. The cabin crew deserve respect.

I have seen worse, an Alitalia captain and FO talking loudly through the briefing, even worse than the usual KYKWIA frequent travellers who don't pay attention.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 1:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, Gulf Air Silver, Aegean Gold, M&M FQTV, Air Malta Diamond
Originally Posted by DeanB
It's not helped by the way BA safety announcements start with the most boring (& obvious) thing: seatbelts. That makes everyone switch off straight away, and should be the very last thing mentioned - if at all.

If the announcement started with things that were *different* about that plane (exits, lighting, lifejacket position etc) than more people would pay attention.
I can't find a reference, but in the days when I flew my own little aeroplane, I attended a CAA safety briefing and, as an aside, one of the men from the Belgrano said that passengers often have trouble opening the seat belt under stress - perhaps that's why airlines lead with it.

I know it sounds crazy, but the CAA guys do know what they are talking about.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 1:26 pm

Programs: BA Gold
KYKWIA
sorry, stumped with that one?
Old Nov 17, 2012, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
I think it's poor form. All staff (whether flight or cabin crew) should lead by example and follow onboard instructions.

As we've discussed many times, it takes not 5 minutes of one's time to stop and listen.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.