FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Partyweekend Seoul part2, Around Saturday 15/12 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1406837-partyweekend-seoul-part2-around-saturday-15-12-a.html)

mgo72 Nov 13, 2012 8:34 am

Partyweekend Seoul part2, Around Saturday 15/12

Hello,

This would be the post about the people taking the second weekend of the offer. To help BOTB a little bit and to benefit from some social contacts this thread.

I condider this group dor the people spending the saturday night of 15/12/2012 there (Saturday rule). Of course other people can join in with their thoughts, and other things.

We promise that we will party harder, better, louder, wilder than the first weekend-group ;-)

All questions can be organised here :

1) Who is going
2) Who has acces to what lounge and who need to get invited?
3) What activities are planned to do togehter?
4) Special activities around these dates in Seoul?
5) any celebrations like anniversaries, etc in the group?
6) What hotels, why?
7) transportation to/from
8) other ideas? ....

Regards!

mgo72 Nov 13, 2012 8:35 am

Who and when?

The people going for this weekend taken from BotB first post on 13/11/2012_16:49CET!

NEED Guesting, IS OK

Dec 13: 13 FT'ers (Various lounges, I'm sure you'll meet at some stage!)

Out

Christickler (out in Club, Silver) requires guesting please
jonboy73 (out in F, Gold) (first First...so do help make it memorable please!) guesting KARFA into CCR
KARFA (out in Club, Silver) being guested by jonboy73 into CCR
mgo72 (out in Club, Blue) requires guesting please
thedreamliner (out in F, Gold)
travellertales+1 (out in Club, Silver, ?) requires guesting please
qwest01+5 <yes, 5!> (out in Club, a smattering of Silver, Bronze and Blue) They are happy to party in the Galleries Club Lounge, I imagine they would welcome others that want to join them as well...

4 in F (2 are ours) = 50 %

15 in CW (11 are ours) = 73 %

0 in WT+

4 in WT

Flight loads 13 Dec LHR to ICN:

F3 A2 J2 C2 D2 R1 I1 W1 Y9 B9 H9 K9 M9 L9 V9 S8 N5 Q3 O1 G1

The posh return…

Dec 16:
4 FT'ers (Lounge situation needs clarification, F lounge abundance…can guest if anyone reads this!)

Back

ANother+1 (back in F, Gold, Gold) willing to guest 2 if needed
thedreamliner (back in F, Gold)
walkingtall (back in F, Gold)

5 in F (4 are ours) = 80 %

23 in CW

9 in WT+.

3 in WT

Flight loads 16 Dec ICN to LHR:

F2 A2 J1 C1 D1 R1 W6 E4 Y7 B6 H5 K2 M1 G0

The last Hoorah….Party Plane 6

Dec 17:
10 FT'ers (Lounge situation needs clarification, Club lounge abundance…can guest if anyone reads this!)

Back

Arbeiter2 (back in Club,?)
Christickler (back in Club, Silver)
KARFA (back in Club, Silver)
travellertales+1 (back in Club, Silver, ?)
qwest01+5 <yes 5!> (back in Club, Bronze, Blue and...)

4 in F

21 in CW (10 are ours) = 48 %

0 in WT+

2 in WT

Flight loads 17 Dec ICN to LHR:

F9 A9 J8 C7 D9 R5 I3 W9 E9 T7 Y9 B9 H9 K8 M7 L8 V5 S3 N1 Q1 G0

The singles…

Dec 18:
mgo72 (back in Club, Blue)

4 in F

7 in CW (1 of us) = 14 %

0 in WT+

1 in WT

Flight loads 18 Dec ICN to LHR:

F9 A9 J9 C9 D9 R9 I9 W9 E9 T5 Y9 B9 H9 K9 M8 L8 V4 S2 G0

Dec 21: kenomi (back in WT, Blue)

3 in F

9 in CW

6 in WT+

8 in WT (1 of us) = 12 %

Flight loads 21 Dec ICN to LHR:

F9 A9 J9 C9 D9 R9 I9 W8 E6 T4 Y9 B9 H9 K9 M8 L7 V7 S4 N2 G0

Taken from BOTB on this post :

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/19648174-post1.html

mgo72 Nov 13, 2012 8:35 am

General info :

Info on guesting:

If you are travelling in F you can invite a guest into any lounge, even if you do not have any one world status. If you are a Gold card holder you can guest one person into the F Lounges, those with SIlver or flying in Club can get access themselves into a business or Club lounge (and of course Silvers can guest one into such a business lounge).

Please post your info if you wish to be included in the above list and meet up.

CCR-lounge:

13/12/2012: Jonboy73, Karfa ( invited by Jonboy73)

mgo72 Nov 13, 2012 8:36 am

14th december:

evening food tour : http://www.ongofood.com/taste-tour/ Korean Night Dining Tour (6pm-10pm)

KARFA is booked, I have emailed and await a reply.

Tour on the 15th: Combined tour/3rd Tunnel & Panmunjom, confirmed by email for me and KARFA

participants

Karfa --) booked
jonboy73 --) Emailed, waiting confirmation
mgo72 --) NOT reserved
thedreamliner --) RESERVED , what tour?

15th december:

DMZ-tour Tour on the 15th: Combined tour/3rd Tunnel & Panmunjom,

Karfa --) confirmed by mail
jonboy73 --) confirmed by mail
mgo72 --) NOT reserved

16th december:

Karfa: Some of the palaces look good for a wander on Sunday perhaps, but nothing fixed.

17th december:

mgo72 Nov 13, 2012 8:37 am

Do you know special things to do like concerts etc!

mgo72 Nov 13, 2012 8:38 am

JONBOY73 !! Gets a "birhtday+7"-party ;-)

mgo72 Nov 13, 2012 8:38 am

6) What hotels, why?

STILL NEED TO SORT OUT THE PEOPLE AND THE RIGHT DATES

It may be worth asking if your hotel will have a bus service to the airport as an option to the train. The IC Grand does for instance.

Conrad: (CreativeBill+1 staying here, thedreamliner as well for two nights at the end, jonboy73 also for last two days...lucky so and so's...I'm not jealous, really!)

The brand new Conrad opens on Nov. 12, looks very nice and has massive rooms but is a bit outside the main city (located in financial area…close to transport links though).

Hilton: : Millennium Seoul Hilton

KARFA,
jonboy73 : 13 - 17 dec

!!!! NO Hilton points when booked through cashback sites, cfr KARFA !!!

Shuttle bus that is slower, more expensive then train.

http://www3.hilton.com/en/hotels/sou...ons/index.html

It isn’t free and I think the price is 15,000 won each way. Not sure KARFA is personally tempted to use it over the train as the train seems faster and cheaper, but it may be useful to others staying there.

Intercontinental: Parnas Grand IC

(BotB, jaguarpig+1 (first night), nh1980, nux and thundercat are staying here)

This is the 'Gangnam' area of Seoul where the rather popular dance video was filmed…ask for one of the newer rooms if you are booking here. Seems well recommended but a tad expensive. Bus available to get to and from airport.

IC Seoul Coex

Jaguarpig+1 staying at the on their second night!

flyme2theriver

JW Marriott Seoul: (qwest01+5 are staying here!)

JW Marriott Seoul

Lotte Hotel Mapo: (Stez is staying here but may move to the posh Conrad...)

Lotte City Hotel Mapo

Novotel: (drdrh is staying here)

Novotel Seoul Ambassador Doksan (marketed on the BA website for combined package holiday sale fare).

Westin Chosun: (lorcancoyle is staying here)

Westin Chosun

Apparently very central and nice.

Please let me know if you don't see your hotel on here or wish to let others know which hotel you are in.
--

mgo72 Nov 13, 2012 8:39 am

I would put here some stuff so we can maybe share transportation in Seoul or even in London :7

1) How you go to London/ Do you want to share transportation?
2) In Seoul in and out?
3) The info:

As there is quite some distance/time separating the airport and the 'centre' of the city…It seems the options are train or hotel bus at first then the tube (underground / subway) thereafter.

Some people will want to take the train from the airport to the downtown area (or wherever they are going) if there is no hotel bus or you don't wish to use that option. The bus from ICN to the IC Grand (downtown) should arrive around 10:30 local time for info and planning purposes. Cabs/Taxis are generally not considered a good idea due to congestion and distances = price.

For the airport transfers you can use the Airport Express (AREX) train between ICN and Seoul station. Apparently it takes 43 minutes, and the cost to Seoul Station is 14,300 won each way (about £8) – but it looks like there is a sale on tickets and it is only 8,000 won if you travel by the end of the year..

http://english.arex.or.kr/jsp/eng/main.jsp

First AREX train goes from ICN at 0530, and then every 30 minutes until the last train at 2130. From Seoul station the first AREX train goes at 0600, and then every 30 minutes until the last train at 2200. There is a nice English language guide here:

VISIT KOREA

There is also the KAL limousine Bus as an option for transport between ICN and downtown:

http://www.kallimousine.com/eng/schedule_en.asp

The Seoul Seoul Metro Map will be useful and handy to have once you are downtown.

mgo72 Nov 13, 2012 8:39 am

8) other ideas? ....

8) other ideas? ....

mgo72 Nov 13, 2012 8:40 am

9) other ideas 2

Other general info :

Other useful info:

Food/Drink: (many tips from itsmeitisss ^)

Those of you going go to the fish market and grab fresh sushimi and sushi. Dak Galbi (sizzling beef) also good.

The area around The Parnas GIC has Asia's largest shopping mall - COEX. You WILL get lost in there! The food court in the Hyundai department store is superb - some really good food cooked fresh and not expensive. If you like your garlic (I do but the wife hates it) there is a good restaurant in the area called Mad for Garlic. Steak is good there also, and they have a variety of different garlic based sauces. The Garlic icecream is actually very good!

If you like good coffee, Koreans love their coffee and there are several branches of Cafe Pascucci which make very good proper cappuccino.

Wine is generally quite expensive in Korea because it is treated as a luxury. Hite and Cass are the two most popular brands of beer although myself, on draught, I prefer OB. In Korean tradition it is unlucky to pour your own beer when you are provided large bottles if you go to a Bulgogi restaurant.

Baggage check in Option (outside of airport):

Looks like you can actually check-in bags at Seoul Station (if you are travelling by train) but only if you are on a KE, OZ, or 7C flight – so may be of help if you are heading off elsewhere.

Pictures and Airport Lounges at ICN info:

Some excellent photos of Korea from itsmeitisss can be seen here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/19655056-post134.html

Matthandy has posted some nice photos and info about the IC Coex and lounges here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/19662486-post251.html

Mogoy also mentions the lounges for flying back here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/19662343-post248.html

Language: (of the foreign type…)

Its worth trying to learn a few phrases and words before going…some useful ones people have provided are:

(numbers) two is pronounced similar to dul and three szet

Meckju Chu Seyo which translates to 'A beer please!' or substitute Champagne Chu Seyo for bubbles...

you will get a smile if you say Kahsamnida - it means Thank you very much

Ann yang haseyo: Good morning / good day.
Ann yang kashep se yo: good bye
Yokwon: Passport

Trip Report:

If you wish to contribute to a group trip report to be posted here later on FT…please contact CreativeBill via PM to work out what areas can be covered or of interest. Please also send CB info on what motivation you had for the trip….that would be an interesting addition to include the various reasons! Thanks!

There is a book on the Korean War if you wanted to get up on your history before going...

Regarding North / South Korea:

Asians as many of you know care a great deal about 'face' and not losing it. It is particularly strong in Korea. You will notice that they don't put the South in front of Korea - they simply call it Korea

Some have mentioned that it is maybe worth remembering that over 2 million civilian casualties during the Korean War…some discretion advised when talking about such sensitive subjects.

One poster mentions: And no nice comments about the North either - they have laws about that sort of stuff. Must remember to delete DPRK photos from phone / iPad beforehand (nice people (mostly), but completely brainwashed) - shame the DMZ tour to the border doesn't operate on Sundays

Another adds: The attitude of the ordinary people towards the North is generally of longing. Many families are split up by the border, and the South does want reunification, but obviously not on the North's terms. There are quite few poor people in some areas that have escaped the North and fear being resettled.

HANDLUGGAGE:

It should take you no more than about an hour to get to Incheon on a Sunday morning, but allow plenty of time as you have to use transport after security and immigration. Also they have like at AKL guards at the entrance checking the weight of cases. They will stop anything that looks big and if it is over 10kg you will be sent back to the airline to get an approved bag tag. They are VERY strict on this.

I was once VERY stupid - no, I'll put that in bold - I was once thick as forty short planks and said to my Korean colleague - have a lift of that (my case was maximum allowed size and around 20kg with camera lenses and a camera) she tried and failed. Not a very clever stunt, but even more stupid when you are stood within view of the woman that checks the bags - I knew the moment I did it that I was an idiot. She weighed it - 17kg and I was sent back to AY to get a tag - got it without a problem and she checked the tag on my bag and allowed me through.

So if you are travelling hand luggage only do make sure you get a tag to be sure.

Security itself is reasonably painless. After security and immigration, its a little walk and down the escalators to get the transport to the satellite where you will find Duty Free shops and the CX lounge which isn't far away fom the top of the escalators. It's similar to T5 except that the lifts from the transports are only for disabled people and people with buggies.

mgo72 Nov 13, 2012 8:41 am

10) Other ideas 3?

Info on what to do :

-quick things to do (for the day trippers)

Although possible to do some form of DMZ tour on the same day you arrive…it will be tight and not a full day tour…please consider this when looking or do it another day that is completely free. However…

Swanhunter kindly mentioned: The War Museum is well worth visiting for an insight to the very painful and bloody history of the RoK.

Mainly, the thing to do is just get an impression of the city, the people and the culture as well as the food…before you crash from jet lag…check this link out as a starter:

http://wikitravel.org/en/Seoul

it is officially 'Visit Korea year' and this website has many ideas and offers for those interested. (thanks to _nate for the info ^)

http://english.visitkoreayear.com/english/main.asp

BA Highlife has published this article about Seoul for ideas as well...Where to Party, Shop and Relax in Seoul article (thanks BApilotinsider for that pointer!

The Royal Palace is definitely worth seeing and there is a popular walk along the city centre river.

Go to the Seoul Coex Aquarium

Take pictures of one of T8191's bears around Seoul….CreativeBill is willing to have a crack at combining the various pics and reports to post a Trip Report to end all trip reports…Watch this space or post if you wish to get involved in this aspect. EDIT: Bear underway to CreativeBill...flying New First as well...bears these days...(Sorry T8191...had to reduce pic dimensions slightly...hope this is okay! Worthwhile cause everyone...)

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8205/8...f82c00cd_m.jpg
P1000458 by BA_pics, on Flickr

One suggestion is to get together and do an FT Gangnam style video to be posted here later…well, get me liquid and we'll see...

If you like the musician Sting, he is playing in Seoul on the 5th....book now!

itsmeitisss recommends: If you are feeling particularly (or peculiarly) adventurous, or just jetlagged and can't sleep, you can go to the fish market in the early hours and watch them bartering for the fresh catch.

-longer stays

Demilitarized Zone (DMZ) tours:

Thanks to KARFA (seems a sensible well organised type this one!) for the following DMZ tour info:

KARFA kindly provided a link to a company doing DMZ tours based on reviews from tripadvisor as they were the highest ranked of all the DMZ tour companies - so hopefully should be good.

http://www.tourdmz.com/english/07gui...p?tag=Image1_5

If you are interested, email
[email protected] and mention what tour and dates you would like to do. They reply within a few hours, letting you know if spaces were available for that date, and then, if you are in agreement, send them full name, passport number, and telephone number. They should confirm a short time later. thedreamliner has posted the confirmation email and conditions...see this post for details

If you are around and want to do this in a FT group…KARFA and thedreamliner (likely also jonboy73 <he's only waiting for confirmation from them>) will be on the DMZ tour on Saturday 15th. KARFA chose the Combined tour/3rd Tunnel & Panmunjom. Confirmation email came a day after asking - so the text on the website about booking 3 days relates the minimum period before you need to book rather than a maximum.

nickyjames+1 are planning on doing a full day DMZ tour on the 8th, please PM them if you are interested in booking this together...

Swanhunter recommends a DMZ tour and itsmeitisss adds: If any of you are there long enough, do book a trip to DMZ. It's interesting, and you are allowed photographs but only in certain sections. Do make sure that you are suitably dressed (no holes in jeans) as the North uses photographs of poorly dressed westerners for propaganda - at least that was what we were told. Asians as many of you know care a great deal about 'face' and not losing it. It is particularly strong in Korea. You will notice that they don't put the South in front of Korea - they simply call it Korea

Food tours:

http://www.ongofood.com

Done previously in another location by CreativeBill they write:

you have your own guide that takes you around markets, street food stalls and restaurants and explains what everything is. We are doing a full day on the 9th if anyone wants to join us, or they do shorter group tours.

KARFA has booked on to the Korean Night Dining Tour (6pm-10pm) on Friday 14th. Looks quite a good way to sample some local food and alcohol. Again, would be great if any other FT’ers could join as well. jonboy73 is very likely to be joining KARFA on that tour.

Other 'museums':

For those with a sense of (toilet) humour…this sounds (excuse the pun) a blast…

Toilet theme park

For those with an amorous bend…you may wish to visit this place…(discretion advised):

Loveland (viewer discretion advised)

If you are in the city for a few days, there are tailors about that can make a suit and shorts to measure. I had one done in Itaewon and it cost c £200 for a suit and two good quality shirts.

mgo72 Nov 13, 2012 8:45 am

The bar euuuh , the forum is open!

put here all ideas, comments info etc!

jonboy73 Nov 13, 2012 8:58 am

Originally Posted by mgo72 (Post 19675146)
Hello,

This would be the post about the people taking the second weekend of the offer. To help BOTB a little bit and to benefit from some social contacts this thread.

^

We promise that we will party harder, better, louder, wilder than the first weekend-group ;-)

^^

1) Who is going

Me!

I will be in the CCR, sorry but as we were the only ones initially I have already invited KARFA to join me.

Evening food tour on the 14th
DMZ tour on the 15th

No Idea, sorry

No, but my birthday is on the 7th, so i hope the other group have a drink for me! (I nearly did this trip twice, but that would have been truly isane)

6) What hotels, why?

Hilton 14-17th - booked via expedia/quidco for cashback
Conrad 3rd Jan - to try it and get a stay in for the bonus avios promotion

I think we are getting a train? KARFA knows more, i am happy with whatever.

8) other ideas? ....

Happy to generally wander with camera round palace and general sights in the city.

joejet Nov 13, 2012 9:00 am

A trip to:-
http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets...iletmuseum.jpg

Its just opened

South Korea's toilet museum: a place for contemplation

mgo72 Nov 13, 2012 9:29 am

Help,

Can one of the mods help and change the title? I cannot apparently. I hope not to have repost all :-(

Made a typo in title. It is 15/12 and not 15/2.

This is title that I cannot change:
Partyweekend Seoul part2, Around Saturday 15/2

Needs to be :

Partyweekend Seoul part2, Around Saturday 15/12