Search
Old Jun 23, 2014, 3:05 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KARFA
Print Wikipost

2013 BA Champagne & Wine thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2013, 2:57 pm

The leaflet about the De Castelnau Blanc de Blanc 1999 tells you it is a blend of chardonnay from across the Montagne de Reims, Mont de Berru and Montgueux regions of Champagne. The wine is opulent and complex in style it is rich in Mirabelle plum and ripe stone fruit characters making it as enjoyable served as an aperitif as it is with food.

Try it with game, mushrooms or dishes with creamy sauces, perfect too when savoured with nut based desserts.

Then there is one of those funny square bar codes thingies that probably tell you more.

I drunk it with a sausage and egg toasted sandwich and did not think much of it - too bland. The Tat was better.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 3:00 pm

In the F lounge there was also some information about wine tastings. Unfortunately I did not pay much attention to it but it seemed there was to be a series of tastings at various times. The sign-up sheet was at the customer service desk.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 3:13 pm

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Greenpen
In the F lounge there was also some information about wine tastings. Unfortunately I did not pay much attention to it but it seemed there was to be a series of tastings at various times. The sign-up sheet was at the customer service desk.
Very interesting. Must look out for this!
Old Jan 25, 2013, 3:19 pm

Programs: BA Silver, AF Gold
LGW Terraces today: Champagne Taittinger available "self service". Don't know if it is a permanent change.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 5:42 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
I tried the Grand Siecle in the Concorde Room today. Quite nice.
Then tried some Bollinger Rose but found that a little bitter.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:26 pm

Programs: Ba gold, gha black
Why is the quality of the champers/wine in the CCR no better generally than the F lounge? Personally found it disappointing to go into the CCR and get Bollinger Rose.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 12:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by copenhagenBA
Why is the quality of the champers/wine in the CCR no better generally than the F lounge? Personally found it disappointing to go into the CCR and get Bollinger Rose.
It is better generally.

Both whites and reds are of higher quality and there is normally a white Montrachet and a decent Claret available in the CCR. Also in the CCR there is the Grand Siecle rather than generic Taittinger in the Flounge.

Whilst the Bolly rose usually extends across both lounges along with a couple of other wines the overall selection is better in the CCR.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 9:16 am

Location: 15 minutes west of LHR, Stockholm, or somewhere inbetween.
Programs: BAEC Gold GGL, CCR, GfL, Mucci des Recherches des Consommations Exotiques.
You know how we now and again get people complaining about the Champagne beeing to warm?

I had the exact opposite on Friday, not on BA but on Finnair, a bottle of frozen champagne on the ARN - HEL route.

bjorns
Old Jan 28, 2013, 1:00 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Unusual selection in GF tonight. Lots of Moet et Chandon NV and Piper Heidsieck NV but some Taittinger 2005 and Bollinger Rose but the star was the Castelnau Blanc de Blanc 1999.

Also found a bottle of Brocard Chablis Grand Cru Bougros 1999 which was ^^^
Old Jan 28, 2013, 3:46 pm

Programs: Marriott + Hilton. Fly BA and AZ
2013 BA Champagne & Wine thread

LPGS is sometimes available in F lounge too
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:30 pm

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by terminalfive
LPGS is sometimes available in F lounge too
Indeed! On Saturday evening, I spotted half a bottle, so had a glass. Long gone when I returned for a refill.

Apparently, GF was full of the Castelnau, according to my boss yesterday lunchtime. I tried it on Saturday, but preferred the 2005 Taittinger.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 1:19 pm

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Not a good evening in T5 GF. I have found Moet NV, Clicquot NV and the Castelnau 1999 which was frankly over the hill.

The best of the bunch is the Clicquot and that is only to be found at the Champagne bar. That CCR card can't come soon enough

The St Hallett however is exquisite and is currently helping down a good portion of cheese and biscuits...
Old Jan 30, 2013, 6:21 am

Programs: Meh
Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
Not a good evening in T5 GF. I have found Moet NV, Clicquot NV and the Castelnau 1999 which was frankly over the hill.

The best of the bunch is the Clicquot and that is only to be found at the Champagne bar. That CCR card can't come soon enough

The St Hallett however is exquisite and is currently helping down a good portion of cheese and biscuits...
I can only think they have downgraded the bubbles to make the CCR offering all the more attractive and exclusive. Can understand it given the likes of CX F lounge offering in HKG.

That brown labelled stuff really is not to my taste!
Old Feb 1, 2013, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Castelnau Blanc des Blanc 99 and Tattinger 2005 in T3 right now. Castelnau is a nice easy drinking champagne, full of bubbles but not too acidic.

The Prawn Wonton broth is as good here as T5. At last, a GF menu item I enjoy.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 12:38 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Well despite holding the WSET Wine Diploma, I had never heard of Champagne Eric Lemaire before. It's that or the Bolly Rosé in GF now. Even though it is early, I'll take a swig for the team and report.

From swig.co.uk, "A great value champagne that makes no sacrifice in quality. A gorgeous drop with great purity, lovely ripe fruit and a touch of coconut biscuit. The palate impresses with its soft texture and on the edges there is a pleasing wisp of sherbet along with some nutty nuances. Very smooth and perfectly balanced."

From TT1F, "Light and balanced, with early acidity giving way to a long, creamy finish"

Actually it's pretty good so don't discount it if you're in GF any time soon..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.