FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Tempted to decline next upgrade (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1404481-tempted-decline-next-upgrade.html)

TheHak Nov 5, 2012 8:34 pm

Tempted to decline next upgrade

So I recently was 'upgraded' from 62K to 4E in OF, i.e. in other words from one of the best business seat to a pretty average (or lousy) first seat.

On top of that the crew really made me feel like I was upgraded and service was very different from what I experienced on 'paid' first, not brought to the seat, I was always the last to get: drinks, order food, order drinks and it was totally obvious, i.e. the cc would come to the person next to me, the person in front of him and then leave my corner to come back at the very end. Hard to complain when you are upgraded I guess but now I compare to today's flight to NYC yet again in 62K.

Great seat, isolated but with freedom to move out. I also had a fantastic crew, super friendly, super funny. They even ended up inviting me to join their transport to the city.

So of course I know that crew is a question of luck but frankly the hard product is not that different (particularly to middle first seats) and frankly the feeling of being a freebie isnt that great, so yes I'm tempted to decline my next upgrade (if it ever happens) unless I guess its a window first seat in NF.

Anyone else ever felt the same?

evanderm Nov 5, 2012 9:07 pm

Never had the experience myself but I know someone who has experienced exactly what you describe.

To me it shouldn't matter how the person ended up in the seat (as long as it's legitimate) the service should be first class, especially considering the level of service already found in club.

peterrabbit Nov 5, 2012 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by TheHak (Post 19631625)

Anyone else ever felt the same?

I've felt the same after an onboard opup, presumably because the crew knew that's the reason I was there. But when I've been opup'd at the lounge or gate I haven't noticed a difference to ticketed F.

Earlier this year I turned down Old F 5K because I was comfortably in 64K.

Final 3 Greens Nov 5, 2012 10:17 pm

I order a special meal and that means my nice CW seat is protected from an upgrade I really don't want.

Sixth Freedom Nov 5, 2012 10:58 pm

At first I was thinking that I would always accept an upgrade to F on the grounds that the seat is much nicer.

However I do like a window on day flights, and might be tempted to decline a window->centre upgrade on a day flight.

However on an overnighter I would take any upgrade to F like a shot. The seat and associated amenities are much more conducive to sleep. :)

Originally Posted by evanderm (Post 19631797)
To me it shouldn't matter how the person ended up in the seat (as long as it's legitimate) the service should be first class, especially considering the level of service already found in club.

I agree ... different treatment can suggest to passengers who have paid for F that there is a passenger in their midst, maybe even sitting next to them, who has received for free what they paid a lot of money or miles for.

And that would be unfair! :)

shefgab Nov 6, 2012 12:01 am

Not exactly the same as CW to F, but I was recently upgraded from Y- (BOB food etc) to Business on SN to Brussels, bypassing Y+ (the elusive double upgrade!). The crew were really quite nasty (although they didn't single me out for poor treatment), and nearly missed giving me a drink despite asking twice. I'd have preferred to stay in my Y seat and not have to interact with the sullen crew. Of course, you can't know this till you've already switched.

Doc Savage Nov 6, 2012 12:07 am

Sounds rather paranoid....

will2288 Nov 6, 2012 12:12 am

It doesn't say much for an airline's product differentiation when this is a somewhat common thing to hear on FT about BA.

I bet you don't here this said much about LH, LX, CX, or QF. Just like you almost never hear about declining an upgrade from Y-J (although some here prefer good WT seats over bad WT+ seats).

Gaz Nov 6, 2012 12:18 am

I feel your pain.

Had a similar experience once when at the start of the flight, the CSD singled me out saying in a very loud voice "Oh, Mr Gaz, I see you were upgraded today! What a nice surprise for you that must have been!"

I wanted to crawl back to my (paid) seat of 64K!

The other problem with OF is power. On my last few upgrades, I didn't have my Empower box (as I'd expected to be in Club) and the current kits on board don't have the right bits to charge a Mac laptop. So rather than sitting in Club fully charged, after a few hours in I was bored in F with a dead box.

ColdWalker Nov 6, 2012 12:25 am

Originally Posted by will2288 (Post 19632376)
It doesn't say much for an airline's product differentiation when this is a somewhat common thing to hear on FT about BA.

I was thinking that too. However there does also seem to be a point about people who are OpUped getting a lesser service and I suppose (?) had the OP received proper service they wouldn't be saying they don't want the OpUp. And we are of course comparing the plum seats in CW to F.

Still, it's interesting that 62/64 are considered so close to F. I must admit I was thinking of UuA on my next flight but because 62K was free decided not to. If it had been a day flight I think my choice would have been different though.

csdavidson Nov 6, 2012 12:37 am

I'm surprised with this experience.

Surely the crew must understand why certain passengers are upgraded on the plane? In this case, the OP is GGL...this should automatically mean excellent service and have been served first in F!

I would complain. Thank BA for the upgrade, but mention the sub standard service you received.

Chris

will2288 Nov 6, 2012 12:44 am

Originally Posted by csdavidson (Post 19632430)
Surely the crew must understand why certain passengers are upgraded on the plane? In this case, the OP is GGL...this should automatically mean excellent service and have been served first in F!

While I think everyone in F should get great service, if anyone gets reduced service, I would think it should be a non-status passenger on a mileage ticket not a GGL on a paid J ticket. And I say this as a non-status pax who is only in F on mileage tickets. But again, everyone in F should get the full F service.

ColdWalker Nov 6, 2012 1:25 am

Originally Posted by will2288 (Post 19632445)
While I think everyone in F should get great service, if anyone gets reduced service, I would think it should be a non-status passenger on a mileage ticket not a GGL on a paid J ticket. And I say this as a non-status pax who is only in F on mileage tickets. But again, everyone in F should get the full F service.

I see your point about status, but why should someone on a reward ticket get reduced service in advance of cash customers? They have paid for their ticket just like anyone else, merely in a different currency. They are just as much an important customer as the person who has paid for a restricted ticket, possibly more by virtue of their loyalty in collecting miles.

Gaz Nov 6, 2012 1:42 am

It would make sense to give everyone in the cabin, including those upgraded, equal service. Upgrades are aspirational and a great experience increases your chance of buying a ticket in that cabin in the future.

(with the exception of meal choices, which can be done subtly)

Tobias-UK Nov 6, 2012 2:06 am

I am always grateful to receive an OpUp to F. I've never experienced the type of service TheHak has on this flight but I wouldn't be overly concerned if those who had paid (in cash or Avios) were being given a little priority in service.