Wiki Posts
Search

Tempted to decline next upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2012, 10:51 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; VS Lifetime Gold
Smile

Originally Posted by TheHak
So I recently was 'upgraded' from 62K to 4E in OF, i.e. in other words from one of the best business seat to a pretty average (or lousy) first seat.

On top of that the crew really made me feel like I was upgraded and service was very different from what I experienced on 'paid' first, not brought to the seat, I was always the last to get: drinks, order food, order drinks and it was totally obvious, i.e. the cc would come to the person next to me, the person in front of him and then leave my corner to come back at the very end. Hard to complain when you are upgraded I guess but now I compare to today's flight to NYC yet again in 62K.

Great seat, isolated but with freedom to move out. I also had a fantastic crew, super friendly, super funny. They even ended up inviting me to join their transport to the city.

So of course I know that crew is a question of luck but frankly the hard product is not that different (particularly to middle first seats) and frankly the feeling of being a freebie isnt that great, so yes I'm tempted to decline my next upgrade (if it ever happens) unless I guess its a window first seat in NF.

Anyone else ever felt the same?
Yes, I had similar experience with OpUp at gate from paid CW (64K) to 5E on BA275 LHR-LAS. The crew didn't openly refer to the UG but meal choices were obviously limited by being last seat served and problems with IFE, lighting and cheerful but incompetent CC made me wish I'd held on to 64K. On the plus side, it meant I reached US Immigration at LAS before Club pax.

On return BA176 JFK-LHR I wasn't offered OpUp anyway - although check-in agent tried (in vain as my car was parked at LHR) to persuade me to switch to LCY; stuck with 64K and had a superb flight simply because of great CC.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 12:45 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Mrs Kipper and I were upgraded from UD CW to F on a YVR - LHR Route. Crew were great and no complaints at all. Unfortunately however there was some problem with the overhead reading lights, and the crew were unable to switch them off. I can only compare the experience to the scenes in classic war movies where the prisoner is sleep deprived by having a bright anglepoise lamp aimed directly at them. Even the slightly fancier F eyeshades didn't make a lot of difference.

Still a BA UD virgin..........
Old Nov 6, 2012, 1:46 pm

Programs: BA BLUE, HH, AC/UA
Originally Posted by peterrabbit
I've felt the same after an onboard opup, presumably because the crew knew that's the reason I was there.
I read this as, "I've felt the same after an onboard coup, presumably because the crew knew that's the reason why I was there," and thought...there's a story there!
Old Nov 6, 2012, 2:40 pm

Programs: BA Gold GUF Thai Airways Royal Orchid
I have had a few UGs either at the lounge but often at the gate from 64K (it always seems to available when I buy) to 4 & I must agree with most on this thread.
It always a night flight & sleep is my priority so I only ever have a light breakfast.
I have been thinking of buying a yoga mat & bringing it onboard so that I have that F bed-like effect in 64K.
It may need trimming though.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 3:01 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS Silver, Hilton Gold
Great user name.

The famous B side of "Lip up Fatty".

Although you are missing a 'T'
Old Nov 6, 2012, 4:14 pm

Programs: BA Silver
I had an upgrade from A10 to K3. the experience was good, shame the blinder did not work and has to be put down manually... other than that, perfect flight.

But, would I say no next time... I don't think so. the food was a bit better, and the "bed" was good (me being happy with everything).

8 hours sleeping, 2 meals, some nice bubbly and my all time snack: ham and cheese sandwich, melted cheese and a HP7 2nd half.
I hope I can have an upgrade again in my next long haul.

BTW, I can host 1 to CW lounge t5 on 6.11.12 from 17:30 and on 16.11.12 from 8:00. PM if you are interested.

D
Old Nov 6, 2012, 4:21 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Dkad
... BTW, I can host 1 to CW lounge t5 on 6.11.12 from 17:30 ...
I don't think so, that time passed more than five hours before your post!!
Old Nov 6, 2012, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Honestly I wasn't that impressed with the service in F on an LHR-SFO flight earlier this year. Maybe we just had a lazy crew, but they pretty much disappeared after the meal service, only to reappear for tea service (which was not initially offered to us - we requested it after seeing another passenger get it). I would have expected them to come by every hour with water or at least walk the aisle to check on us. Even UA does better than this in C, and most definitely in F.

Having sat in both C and old F there is no way I would turn down an upgrade. C is a bit narrow and you almost always have the issue of someone stepping over you (or vice versa) to use the lavs. With F there is also the possibility of a window seat, something I never get in C as I prefer the aisle.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 4:33 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
I don't think so, that time passed more than five hours before your post!!
Back to the future, lol.
correction, 9th, friday.

D

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.