Wiki Posts
Search

Tea service in First

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2012, 11:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold (GGL/CCR), HHonors Diamond
Tea service in First

So my wife was complaining about how she doesn't like the tea service in First due to them leaving the tea bags in the tea pot which gets served. I had to reply I don't recall them doing it, but then I am also someone who likes to keep tea bags in longer anyways.

She usual has Darjeeling, which I might choose too, but mostly I go for Earl Grey.

So I promised to ask her what other people's experience has been.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 11:34 pm

I must say that I can't recall being served a pot of tea anywhere without the teabags still being in- its the correct way to serve it, surely?
Old Nov 4, 2012, 11:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by leavingonajetplane
I must say that I can't recall being served a pot of tea anywhere without the teabags still being in- its the correct way to serve it, surely?
Surely the correct way to serve tea is with loose ( for once on FT that extra "o" is appropriate ) leaf tea and not to use tea bags at all

If using tea bags, then I tend to expect the tea bags to be still in the pot
Old Nov 4, 2012, 11:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold (GGL/CCR), HHonors Diamond
If you go by my wife, she expects them to let the tea sit the appropriate time in the galley, then remove the bags and serve it.

I personally prefer it to be served with the bag still in it, but have a small dish to which I can move the bags when I deem that they have been in long enough.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 12:29 am

Has your wife considered asking for the tea bag to be removed? The crew are not psychic, well most of them aren't anyway. So they cannot know about any unusual requirements people may have.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 12:48 am

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Originally Posted by Gshumway
If you go by my wife, she expects them to let the tea sit the appropriate time in the galley, then remove the bags and serve it.

I personally prefer it to be served with the bag still in it, but have a small dish to which I can move the bags when I deem that they have been in long enough.

Tea made with a bag should be allowed to stew for 4-5 mins.

If you were in the ambo service it would be strong enough to stand the spoon up in the cup when served due to the amount of bags used

cs
Old Nov 5, 2012, 1:18 am

Programs: BA Gold
I always bring my own tea, bags and loose, and never had a problem with the CC preparing it (in F). Though, of course, I clean the tea strainer myself

H
Old Nov 5, 2012, 1:25 am

Perhaps this American should yield to our British friends when it comes to making tea properly, but how should an FA possibly know how strong/weak your wife likes her tea?

FWIW, the relatively few times I have ordered tea, I am usually given the bag and allowed to dip/remove it myself (I think this was true on BA F, as well).
Old Nov 5, 2012, 3:02 am

Hi,

I have never travelled in First, so have no idea how BA does it, but I have had plenty of Afternoon Teas!

It is perfectly acceptable to leave the bags in the pot.

Then the pot can be topped up with boiling water should you want more to drink.

When you have loose tea that gets left in as well.

Cheers,
Karen
Old Nov 5, 2012, 3:05 am

So my wife was complaining about how she doesn't like the tea service in First due to them leaving the tea bags in the tea pot which gets served. I had to reply I don't recall them doing it, but then I am also someone who likes to keep tea bags in longer anyways.

She usual has Darjeeling, which I might choose too, but mostly I go for Earl Grey.

So I promised to ask her what other people's experience has been.
You know, there are people out there who have no idea the subject of tea bags being left in the pot in First on BA is being discussed somewhere.

If only they knew.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 3:33 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Never! Nowhere in the world have I seen this done. If you wife like that, then that is what she can ask the crew to do do but to British tastes she will not end up with tea but what my husband vulgarly refers to as Gnat's P.

I blush as I write it!

(Whilst I am in pedantic mode - when did this business of starting sentences with "so" start. So is a co-ordinating conjunction. How can you start a sentence with a joining word?)

Last edited by PUCCI GALORE; Nov 5, 2012 at 3:39 am
Old Nov 5, 2012, 3:44 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Well to be fair Darjeeling (which is not my cup of tea) needs only a couple of minutes of standing time before going rancid. On the other hand in Darjeeling (the town) they can only boil water at 93c so it does make sense to drink it on an aircraft - which I think gets to a maximum on 90c.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 3:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
The standard is to leave the bag in the pot, please tell your wife to ask the crew to bring her a pot of hot water with the bag on the side in future.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 4:06 am

Programs: BA KL LH Hilton Marriott
Originally Posted by cornishsimon
Tea made with a bag should be allowed to stew for 4-5 mins.

If you were in the ambo service it would be strong enough to stand the spoon up in the cup when served due to the amount of bags used

cs
Tea should be brewed, not stewed
Old Nov 5, 2012, 4:59 am

Programs: SQ-PPS+8, BA-Mucci Diamente, Mucci Siegneur des Bains Chauds
I have watched a passenger pour milk into peppermint tea.

Whilst you can't exactly throw them out of 1L at 39,000 feet, I do question why she was allowed into the cabin in dungarees in the first place.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.