Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

T5 luggage system - it really does know where each bag is

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2012, 3:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat

Interesting experience today at T5.

Two of our bags (AA ticket numbers given we connected from AA but that is another story) appeared on the carousel but two did not. Walked over to BA luggage assistance (no queue at least) and showed them the two ticket numbers of the missing bags). The agent typed the ticket numbers into the system and said:
"Oh! The bags did arrive but they have sent it to the wrong area. They will be delivering on the carousel in due course".

15 minutes later, no bags appeared so I went back to the agent. She typed the ticket numbers in again, looked confused and said "Oh! they have put the bags on carousel X instead". Sure enough, we saw the bags going around on that carousel.

Very surprised that BA/BAA can detect where the bags are around T5. All that automation I complain about at T5 does sometimes work.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 3:46 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by KenJohn
All that automation I complain about at T5 does sometimes work.
They proved that to me the other day too. My bag did not appear on the designated carousel. So I went up to the baggage services desk to ask what happened, and the chap told me exactly what happened. He tapped something into the system and 2 seconds later he told me that they somehow put my bag on a wrong carousel (transfer bags or misplaced bags or something or the other carousel).

He had a great sense of humour and I had a good laugh with him.

He sent someone to fetch it for me.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Every bag can be tracked throughout the LHR baggage system. It really is pretty clever!
Old Oct 29, 2012, 3:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
LHR or just T5?
Old Oct 30, 2012, 12:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by KenJohn
LHR or just T5?
LHR.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 2:13 am

Programs: Mucci. And BA Gold – previous awards - Gold 11, Silver 7, Bronze 4.
IIRC the design of T5 was very much driven by the baggage system. I read something about the critical bit of the terminal design was ensuring that the bags were efficiently and speedily routed from check-in to a/c and then from a/c to to carousel.

The second most important aspect of the design was ensuring that the 'self-loading freight' were routed past as many shops as possible to ensure maximum revenue extraction before flight.....
Old Oct 30, 2012, 4:25 am

Programs: BA Gold
I suppose it's no more different than Royal Mail / FedEx / UPS etc. knowing the location of your item anywhere in the world.

The humble barcode has a lot to be thanked for
Old Oct 30, 2012, 4:42 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, BD..oh, wait..
Like my parcel which is sitting at home, despite DHL tracking saying its still in the depot at DUB?
Old Oct 30, 2012, 5:07 am

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
So if it really does know where your baggage is why did it send it to the wrong belt?
Old Oct 30, 2012, 5:17 am

Originally Posted by Moomba
So if it really does know where your baggage is why did it send it to the wrong belt?
The system knew where it was, but not where to send it. Probably some sort of glitch in the record associated with the peripatetic bag. They system may be clever, but it isn't perfect
Old Oct 30, 2012, 5:46 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by ColdWalker
They system may be clever, but it isn't perfect
A sort of idiot savant system. (Like every other system).
Old Oct 30, 2012, 6:16 am

Deleted

Last edited by ColdWalker; Oct 30, 2012 at 6:24 am
Old Oct 30, 2012, 6:22 am

Programs: BA gold, *A gold, SPG silver, HHonors gold
So why can't T5 handle priority bags properly?
Old Oct 30, 2012, 6:27 am

Originally Posted by dubbin
So why can't T5 handle priority bags properly?
Because its an idiot savant system (Thanks Jib71 for that great description)

In all seriousness, if the baggage handlers do not have the processes/don't follow the processes to load priority baggage onto the system first there is little the system can do about it. About the only thing it could do is delay all the Y luggage in a holding area and only deliver it after the priority luggage. And clearly that doesn't help anyone - priority luggage doesn't arrive earlier and Y luggage is just delayed more.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

With any automated system like that it is the human interface that creates the problems....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.