Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Last S61 Helicopter Service this week: Penzance to Isles of Sciliy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2012, 3:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, EK Gold, VS Gold, HH Diamond , Marriott Gold , IHG Plat

I am not sure if this is the right forum but as it was related to BA (the route was operated by British Airways Helicopters in the 80's). This week will be the end of the scheduled S61 helicopter service - they are closing the route a supermarket has bought the land (like they really need another one in Penzance).

Anyway G-BFFJ is currently plying the route and you can get tickets for Ł44 return. It's a there and back flight but great fun. I did it yesterday (Saturday) and there are stunning views of West Cornwall including Penzance, Newlyn, Lands End, The Minnack, Mousehole.

Service ends on the 31st Oct so grab a bit of history whilst you can. The service is operated by British International Helicopters.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 3:21 am

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
Thanks for the information, I have used this flight many times and can agree that the views are great.... try and get a seat on the left hand side if you can.

~To buy the land means that BIH had to sell it (to raise money) and If I had a pound for all the times I have heard that they were going to get New helicopters, a new airfield, a new anything !!!! ~ I would have more than a few quid.

Fuel costs (and the age of the S61s) has more to do with it.

~ A very bad move for the West of Cornwall / Isles of Scilly that means there will be no direct service to Tresco, and make it much harder for the islanders to get to the mainland for (medical appointments etc) as the S61s were often flying when the DHC6s and Islanders couldn't, and will put more strain on the Air ambulance.

Prince Charles and the Duchy of Cornwall could look at how links to the islands could be improved and use some of that cash they make from their other businesses to support the community. ?

~But as LakerairwaysDC10 posts, if you can get down there in the next few days and the weather is good...... take your camera!!

~Our resident Paramedic Cornish (simon) poster is away on his Honeymoon otherwise I am sure he would add to the mix!
Old Oct 28, 2012, 3:35 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold
A real pity that this unique service is ending. I have flown the route regularly for 40 years (with very few changes in actual machines during that time!) and will greatly miss it.

If you are lucky enough to get a flight in the remaining few days, sit on the very back seat...it gives you views out of both sides of the cabin.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 4:18 am

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)

Did someone call ?

I'm here but not really

All I'll add at this stage is that this is a dreadful loss for Cornwall and the IOS.

When I'm back from honeymoon I'm sure I'll miss the S61s, aren't they one of the last remaining commercial chopper routes in the world ?

cs
Old Oct 28, 2012, 12:03 pm
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere

I remember doing several scheduled S61 flights in Greenland - are they still going?
Old Oct 28, 2012, 12:38 pm
Suspended

Yes, Air Greenland operates scheduled helicopter flights.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 1:21 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Faroe Islands also have some scheduled helicopter services, operated on behalf of Atlantic Airways.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 6:49 am

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Just a bit of a bump

I know I'm away but today in Cornwall is the final day of this service, a very sad day for, Cornwall, penzance and the IOS

And yes, before anyone says it, it's not actually BA but it was once so I'll apologise in advance to anyone who feels this shouldn't be posted here.

The last few years have been awful for aviation in Cornwall, first Ryanscare throw the toys out the pram and quit routes at NQY, BA pulled the LGW route, air south west closed down etc etc etc and now this.

Good luck to all the staff at BIH and those at PZE.

cs
Old Oct 31, 2012, 8:30 am

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
No complaints from me Simon as someone that has used the service a number of times.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.