Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

CDG: (airside?) transfer from from T1 to T2a?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2012, 8:18 am
Original Poster

Yet another Q for anyone with local knowledge of CDG...

Will be arriving at CDG at 10.15 on LX634 from ZRH. Am wanting to fly with BA on to LHR that same day.

NB: before anyone asks the inevitable "why don't you simply fly ZRH-LHR with BA?" ... it's because that LX flight is the end of a longer LX itinerary which was booked a while ago.

BA309 (dep 12.25) or BA315 (dep. 14.45) look like my two options, both leaving from CDG T2a.

Assuming I don't have any checked bags, I can presumably do an airside transfer from T1 to T2a, can I?

If I did check a bag, I guess LX aren't going to interline it through CDG onto a BA flight, are they? So it would mean reclaiming and rechecking it? ...and a landside transfer from T1 to T2a? Which I think rules out BA309.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 9:31 am

Programs: Mucci du Miel d'Or
Yes. You are meant to have evidence of an e-Ticket, but there is a bus from one of the T1 satellites. It used to go to to 2A from where you had to change busses or walk (airside) to get to the other T2 halls. I had a three hour connection and only managed 45 minutes in the lounge, although that was a departure from 2F. But I would probably play safe and go for the later flight.

Not sure about interlining. BA wouldn't, but it will be LX's decision. Try searching on the LX forum.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 12:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dan72
Yes. You are meant to have evidence of an e-Ticket, but there is a bus from one of the T1 satellites. It used to go to to 2A from where you had to change busses or walk (airside) to get to the other T2 halls. I had a three hour connection and only managed 45 minutes in the lounge, although that was a departure from 2F. But I would probably play safe and go for the later flight.
OK ... I was leaning towards the earlier flight but from your description of the transfer I'm now having my doubts!

Try searching on the LX forum.
Have found this but the OP decided not to try with the interlining. I've emailed LX customer services to ask them direct...
Old Oct 16, 2012, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by shorthauldad
If I did check a bag, I guess LX aren't going to interline it through CDG onto a BA flight, are they?
They might. I have interlined from an LX flight to an AF flight on separate tickets without issue (well, apart from my bag not making the connection but that is another story). That was at a BSL departure and the connection was in CPH but there is no reason why it should be any different at other European stations.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 2:48 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club refugee: BA-Br; HH-D
I have to connect from a TG flight to a BA flight in CDG in a few months, which I believe is a T1-T2A connection.

But here's the thing: is it worth the hassle of trying to effect an airside transfer? what is the benefit? I should mention that I have never connected in CDG before.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by diamond club freeloader
I have to connect from a TG flight to a BA flight in CDG in a few months, which I believe is a T1-T2A connection.

But here's the thing: is it worth the hassle of trying to effect an airside transfer? what is the benefit? I should mention that I have never connected in CDG before.
I have the self-same TG-BA transfer at CDG to do in a few months time and my thinking goes in the same direction as the one you suggest: I cannot see an overwhelming reason to stay airside unless you cannot enter Schengen for visa reasons. I would expect a landside transfer using CDGVAL to be quicker (much higher frequency) that an airside transfer unless there are really long queues at immigration at T1. You do have a bit to walk to go from CDGVAL (near the TGV station, albeit on the D-F side of the terminal) to BA check-in area (in the middle of the 2A-2C terminal) but it is not a huge distance.

Apart from some walking, you also save yourself a potential immigration queue by staying airside but that is it. As I am registered to the French equivalent of Iris (Parafes), this is really a no-brainer for me.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 4:08 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club refugee: BA-Br; HH-D
Thanks for this NickB - sounds like its not worth the bother unless there is a huge immigration delay -which is unpredictable (though the TG flight arrives pretty early, so fingers crossed). In fact, a bit of a walk is welcome after a day of flying, with more to come!
DCf
Old Oct 17, 2012, 4:26 am
Original Poster

OK, well if diamond club freeloader and NickB are going the landside transfer, maybe I should try the airside transfer, and we should all report back here in a few weeks time?!
Old Aug 15, 2016, 5:39 am

Programs: M&M, A3*G, Flying Blue, HHonors
Hi, sorry for digging up this thread - have you guys ever made the comparison? I'm researching info for a delegation who will transit at CDG (1->2F), and having never been to CDG myself, I'm not sure which way - airside or landside - is easier and quicker.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 5:47 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by ningyo
Hi, sorry for digging up this thread - have you guys ever made the comparison? I'm researching info for a delegation who will transit at CDG (1->2F), and having never been to CDG myself, I'm not sure which way - airside or landside - is easier and quicker.
Landside is quicker in my experience - Concierge Service or not.

Landside you simply exit, take the terminal transit train, which pops out by 2E/2F (as it's last stop), and walk from there.

Best,

M
Old Aug 15, 2016, 5:52 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Landside is massively quicker.

Airside may add two security checks (though not in that particular direction, it would in the reverse) and involve 2 bus transfers. The one from T1 to T2 has a 10 to 20 minute service frequency, the inter T2 service is rather more frequent but not particularly user friendly. It can take well over an hour. If you don't have full mobility and plenty of time then I guess it's the better option.

Landside means going from the satellite piers of 1, quite a short distance, to passports (can be painful at the moment admittedly, due to the state of emergency). Then when fully landside look for the CDGVAL-Terminal 2 signs, this isn't brilliantly well signposted but you should spot it. You need to take the lift down to the train platform, which is fast, regular and free, it's quite a few stops to T2, then the fairly long walkways to 2F. Try to avoid the airport trollies since they aren't allowed on the tapis roulant. This should take under 40 minutes if you are a European passport holder and mobile.

If it's a big group then you can pay for VIP services in certain circumstances, but it's not something I would ever do or have experience of.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 6:07 am

Thanks a lot!
They're Japanese passport holders, transferring from NH to AF (intra-Schengen flight), so no need for a visa, but will have to line up at the non-EU-citizens line. One person will be in J class, the rest in Y. Afaik none of them has any relevant status.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 6:12 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Thanks a lot!
They're Japanese passport holders, transferring from NH to AF (intra-Schengen flight), so no need for a visa, but will have to line up at the non-EU-citizens line. One person will be in J class, the rest in Y. Afaik none of them has any relevant status.
If their English or French wasn't too good, reading wise, I'd be tempted to enquire about a VIP transfer, if it's a big group. J and Y won't make much difference, except perhaps at the 2F security end. It's a bit messy, I have to say. For example on the airside route they would need to be really sharp to ensure they got off at the right place on the inter T2 service. On the landside route it's also quite a schlep. But there again, so long as they have more than say 3 hours between flights then they should be fine.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 6:18 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
If you want info for the VIP Concierge Service at CDG as mentioned earlier, by both myself and CWS, let me know and I'll send you the details of the right person to talk to at CDG.

Best,

M
Old Aug 15, 2016, 6:26 am

Thanks - sounds like I'll go with the landside option for them.
They have 3 hours between flights.
It's a small group; the person flying in J is fluent in English.

VIP concierge service is not in the budget this time afaik, but thanks for the info - I'll mention it to them. If not them, maybe another time - good to know such a service exists

I expect they will get their onward boarding passes in Japan, but can't be sure - are the transit counters at terminal 1 before the exit? or will they have to go to the check-in counters in 2F if they need boarding passes?

Last edited by ningyo; Aug 15, 2016 at 6:32 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.