Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can't redeem for non-household member?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2012, 12:38 am
Original Poster

Can't redeem for non-household member?

Tried to redeem Avios for a friend yesterday using my Avios. Agent told me I couldn't as my account was now part of a household account and pax was not part of the household. Said only way to do it was to unwind the household a/c. Is this right? Seems a nonsense to me.

Bombo
Old Oct 16, 2012, 12:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Those are the rules. The Household account is a hugely valuable attribute (and a rare find in frequent flier schemes).

The only exception as I understand it is using a 2-4-1 voucher - but you have to do that on the phone.

(Probably an attempt to reduce fraud...)
Old Oct 16, 2012, 12:49 am

Programs: MUCCI
Originally Posted by bombo
Seems a nonsense to me.
It is the trade-off you make to enjoy the perks of a household account.

Very valuable it is, and a fair trade I think.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 12:52 am

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1, Avis President’s Club
Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
The only exception as I understand it is using a 2-4-1 voucher - but you have to do that on the phone.
Yes - I have done this twice for two different people.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 1:10 am

Tried to redeem Avios for a friend yesterday using my Avios. Agent told me I couldn't as my account was now part of a household account and pax was not part of the household. Said only way to do it was to unwind the household a/c. Is this right? Seems a nonsense to me.

Bombo
With regard to the terms and conditions of the Executive Club, the agent and other posters are quite correct. And most members would agree that the benefits of Household Accounts far outweigh the limitations.

However, if you wish to retain your Household Account and redeem some Avios for another passenger who is not a member of said HHA, then the route to doing so is to transfer some Avios from your BA account to a pure Avios account.

They will be then be available for you to use, from the pure Avios account, on a third-party.

The Combine My Avios tool is your friend:

https://www.britishairways.com/trave...club/_gf/en_gb
Old Oct 16, 2012, 1:56 am
Original Poster

Thank you all.

Is the inventory using the pure avios.com route identical to BAEC? If not, I'll probably just unwind the HH account as the benefit of booking for a 3rd party is of most value to me.

Bombo
Old Oct 16, 2012, 2:10 am

Programs: MUCCI
Is the inventory using the pure avios.com route identical to BAEC? If not, I'll probably just unwind the HH account as the benefit of booking for a 3rd party is of most value to me.
Sometimes it is actually better - as Avios.com have access to some buckets 'G' etc for redemptions that BAEC does not.

It can be different. If you are struggling for avilability always check there too.

If UK based you should have an Avios.com account as well as a BAEC one (and setup an IB+ one as well, incase you ever need it - as there is a 90 days rule before you could transfer into IB+ to fund it).

Ofcourse, there are things you can not do from an Avios.com account, and also issues with IB+ accounts, hence if I can do something from BAEc, I do it from BAEC.

However Avios.com and IB+ can both do other things that BAEC can not.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 2:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Thank you all.

Bombo
Bear in mind if there are any under 18's in your HHA, they will forfeit their points if you unwind it.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 2:13 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Don't know if they've started to enforce a change yet, but my recent 241 now has the condition:

20. Members can choose to take anyone as a Companion on their Companion Voucher booking except if the member is part of a Household Account. In such an instance, the companion must also belong to the Household Account.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 2:31 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold Ambassador
Originally Posted by pauldb
Don't know if they've started to enforce a change yet, but my recent 241 now has the condition:

20. Members can choose to take anyone as a Companion on their Companion Voucher booking except if the member is part of a Household Account. In such an instance, the companion must also belong to the Household Account.
Yeah - this changed a little while ago:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/19089605-post1841.html

Seems a little overly restrictive to me (ok, I'm an Amex PP Cardholder with a HHA...)
GD
Old Oct 16, 2012, 2:37 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Thank you all.

Bombo
...or simply add the member to your household...
Old Oct 16, 2012, 4:38 am

Programs: BA GGL/GfL
True, but there is a potential glitch with that if the extra member has a BA account in a different country to the domicile of the HHA, even if genuinely a relative.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 4:43 am

Bear in mind if there are any under 18's in your HHA, they will forfeit their points if you unwind it.
Actually you don't they transfer to the head of the HHA, they will lose tier points though.
joejet
Old Oct 16, 2012, 12:10 pm

For 2-4-1 vouchers held by U.S.-based Executive Club members (from their Chase credit cards), the Terms and Conditions continue to allow Household Account (HHA) members to select a companion who is outside the HHA:

"Companions do not have to be named within a BA Executive Club Household Account. Members can choose to take anyone as a Companion on their redemption voucher booking."

Despite this statement, the customer service agents at the U.S. call center told me last week that their computers will not accept a companion booking for a non-HHA member. They indicated that this was a "recent change." So it appears that the T&C's haven't caught up with reality.....
Old Oct 16, 2012, 12:25 pm
k3v

I booked a flight for me and a non household member using a 241 about a month ago over the phone with no problems.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.