Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Dried Up Award Availability to North America

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2012, 10:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P

I was just wondering if anyone else had noticed that all availability for both Club and First to the US and to Canada seems to have disappeared for the coming weeks? Not a single seat to any of the gateways, even on days where the revenue classes are wide open. Big change from a few weeks ago. Or maybe I'm going mad.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:02 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, SK *G, Hertz President's Circle
I've noticed the same! I've been trying to scout for UUA availability to Club from LHR to JFK or EWR for a couple of months now (for next week) and there's absolutely nothing!
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:27 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
I'm seeing the same for next July -- to virtually anywhere in NA.

I've been monitoring for weeks. Flights in F from NA to LHR are widely available on some routes. Just look at PHX-LHR in July as an example. Virtually every day the flight runs has at least 2 F available.

The return, LHR-PHX in same month, however, has virtually nothing. So frustrating.

Awfully hard to put together a 2-4-1 round trip when all you can get is one-way. I hate to think that might be exactly the point.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 1:00 am

Strange, as I recently received an email from BAEC specifically saying that reward availability was currently very good.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 1:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by alwaysbanevervs
Strange, as I recently received an email from BAEC specifically saying that reward availability was currently very good.
In Economy

To Bermuda

In November.....

(do pack a sweater)
Old Oct 11, 2012, 1:57 am

Over the past few weeks its much tighter to china too
Old Oct 11, 2012, 2:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Availability to North America was usually very good perhaps two to five years ago.

But more recently seats have been much harder to find.

I ascribe this to two factors:

1. Higher levels of economic activity leading to higher demand for these flights and hence fewer reward seats

2. More miles in circulation due to the 100k Chase promo causing people to redeem seats that they would otherwise not redeem.

The solution: go somewhere else where there is availability!

Old Oct 11, 2012, 2:11 am

Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
The solution: go somewhere else where there is availability!

The email I received mentioned Dubai
Old Oct 11, 2012, 2:51 am

Programs: BA Gold / HH Diamond / FB Platinium / SPG Gold / Marriott nothing
GGL effect?

Is there a GGL effect on the availability ? Remember now GGL members do benefit of 2 or 3 special redemptions per year instead of a signle one as it was last year. A good reason for BA to reduce availability accordingly?

GGL members are about 2100 (3% of 70000 GCH) that represent 5000 extra rewards seats, generally in CW or F...
Old Oct 11, 2012, 2:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by asr2999
Is there a GGL effect on the availability ? Remember now GGL members do benefit of 2 or 3 special redemptions per year instead of a signle one as it was last year. A good reason for BA to reduce availability accordingly?

GGL members are about 2100 (3% of 70000 GCH) that represent 5000 extra rewards seats, generally in CW or F...
If I understand you correctly I expect this is extremely unlikely.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 2:58 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by asr2999

That I doubt. GGL redemptions come out of the general sales inventory, and though this then impacts late availability (people booking a week or two before travel) it won't affect the general redemption pool. Also only one GGL redemption is allowed per flight (albeit for up to 5 people). It probably has an impact on BKK, SIN and SYD, due to the low number of flights and the fact that hardcore redeemers get stuck in early, but not to the US I would have thought.

I rather suspect Half Term, Thanksgiving and Christmas are bigger factors. There is plenty of short term availability across the Atlantic. Also there may be a sale in the offing?

Also some GGLs don't end up using their jokers for all sorts of reasons.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 2:59 am

Programs: BA gold, *A gold, SPG silver, HHonors gold
What about the new ability to upgrade travel agent bookings?
Old Oct 11, 2012, 3:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
some GGLs don't end up using their jokers
Quite...

Originally Posted by GGL member
I flew sixty sectors last year ... and now I am on holiday the last thing I want to do is get on a plane!
Old Oct 11, 2012, 3:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dubbin
What about the new ability to upgrade travel agent bookings?
Whilst I do not doubt that this could be a factor it is quite a new feature and availability to N America has been limited for some time now.

This could cause availability to be harder to find in the years to come though.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 3:21 am

Programs: BA, Marriott, Hertz, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
West coast is a complete no-no for redemption next June to August. East coast is ok at the moment. BAs booking system doesn't help, initially showing availability and then displaying errors or telling you that the last seat has magically been sold between you selecting a date and then trying to select a flight time.

In general though, I suspect it is because there are now a lot more people with miles to spend on BA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.