Community
Wiki Posts
Search

On line check in savings for BA

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2012, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

On line check in savings for BA

Just checked in on line - and no checked in luggage so no need to speak to any BA staff pre security. I don't know what % of passengers check in on line and of those how many are hand bagage only - nor how much time this saves for BA, but is there any calculation of how many staff this saves them on the basis of ('000 passengers * a couple of minutes each).
Old Oct 5, 2012, 1:19 am

Programs: BAEC at last back to Gold, Flying Blue, Red with the Bearded One, Accor, Finnair Plus Blue
Originally Posted by riga
Just checked in on line - and no checked in luggage so no need to speak to any BA staff pre security. I don't know what % of passengers check in on line and of those how many are hand bagage only - nor how much time this saves for BA, but is there any calculation of how many staff this saves them on the basis of ('000 passengers * a couple of minutes each).
The more that chek-in online or using one of those machines at the airport must save BA money, I wonder if the savings will feed into improved services?

I am sure someone clever or in the know will come along with an answer soon as they always seem to
Old Oct 5, 2012, 4:09 am

Well in T5 it shortens the queues and saves the time. People who checked in online and travel will no hold luggage can go straight to security if travelling within EU. Travelling outside EU requires you go to Passport desk near security points. I'd say 85% checked in before coming to the desk either online or at the machines. There are times when queues to bag drop are miles long so it, in theory, is quicker for passengers just to drop off their bags so we can process more passengers.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 5:18 am

Programs: BA, UA, Marriot
Originally Posted by arthurolecki
People who checked in online and travel will no hold luggage can go straight to security if travelling within EU. Travelling outside EU requires you go to Passport desk near security points.
Technically, I believe that it is EU + EEA that don't require passport checks.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 5:27 am

Not quite so.

It's EU + EFTA.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 5:30 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, HHonours Diamond, BA AMEX PremPlus
Any inter-continental flight, plus DME, LED, TIP and KBP, requires a trip to the passport & visa checking desk if you're hand baggage-only.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 5:34 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hhonors Silver, Accor Club Silver and many others at the lowest level
Originally Posted by arthurolecki
Not quite so.

It's EU + EFTA.
Plus Turkey
Old Oct 5, 2012, 5:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://www.gatwickairport.com/Docume...Use%202011.pdf

Page 30, On the above link it showshow much LGW charges airlines for people checking in. Now I appreciate that BA will negotiate different costs. Just an outline of the different charges an airport adds to the airline company. I wold have thought smaller airlines would pay closer to the fees or charges needed.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 5:59 am

Turkey is part of EU Customs Union
Old Oct 5, 2012, 7:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Not so sure the savings will be all that much to be honest as they still need to have check-in staff especially for long haul flights. If anything it'll be the passenger with luggage to check-in who benefits most as the check-in queues might be shorter.
The times I've checked in at T5 there has been no queues anyway.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 3:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HIDDY
If anything it'll be the passenger with luggage to check-in who benefits most as the check-in queues might be shorter.
Surely it's the passenger with no luggage who benefits most as they don't have to go to any check-in queue at all?
Old Oct 12, 2012, 12:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
I think the real value BA accrues is getting a better picture of those likely to travel ahead of the flight so late cancellations etc. can be more accurately predicted. There must also be some saving from avoiding a manual check in for those with hand luggage only travelling to a destination which does not require pre-security checks.

Since the conformance process was introduced at T5 unless I am on a EU flight I will always now use the F check-in even if I am taking hand luggage only, since I am never quite sure what needs to be checked and what does not. The ever proliferating amount of pre-departure data to be collected for many destinations also makes it a better bet sometimes to use a proper check in desk.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 2:37 am

Programs: BA Silver. London Cycling Campaign. TfL Oyster
Slightly OT -- but following on from last post -- can a staffer or other confirm what function the document check performs beyond the advance passenger info already collected as a pre-requirement for OLCI? I can't remember exactly but I think one staffer said in another thread [somewhat tongue-in-cheek] that they didn't trust that we had already supplied that data accurately [!]
Old Oct 12, 2012, 12:19 pm

It's very difficult to explain what data we need for certain flights. APIS is needed for most but not all countries. Some countries require APIS and other information on top of APIS and some require nothing. USA is the most data-hungry nation. Countries non compliant with APIS include South Africa, Bahrain, Qatar.

The only real benefit is for short haul only when you can get to all the way to the gate without anyone looking at your passport.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 1:12 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Diamond + Ambassador, Accor Gold, Avis President's Club, Heathrow Rewards
No doubt online check in and kiosks are helpful to BA.

However, I find these very useful to me as a passenger as well. So, a good example of a win win in my view.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.