Community
Wiki Posts
Search

747 Upper Deck…what's so special…

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2012, 5:02 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by GodAtum
I had my first experience of the CW upper deck and thought is was great. Much more private and exclusive!

Or a Oneworld Emerald status?
Good question - I don't actually know the answer to that!
Old Dec 21, 2016, 5:16 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Just sat on the UD in 64K on a refurbed 747. I'd go as far as saying 64K is better than 1A/K on the 747. Just feels more special despite being in the pointy end being special, and on a practical note I think it offers more personal space that the cramped F suites on the 747.

Despite these planes getting on a bit (CIVV I am on is 18+ years old), with the refurb I'd happily fly in 64K over any other CW seat in the fleet or F on the 747 (unless I am op-upped of course!)

I thought I'd said my goodbyes to the UD a couple of years ago when they were still considering retiring the whole fleet. It's good to see them still around.
Old Dec 21, 2016, 5:21 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Can't say I have felt "cramped" in 1A before on a 747 - for various reasons I have managed to do a reasonable amount of F flights on the 747 this year. However, I would agree 64K and 64A come close.

The obvious benefit of the UD wind seats over F is the side bins which allow for storage of a large amount of your stuff nearby, which is better than the F seats. I would say that I do sleep better in the F seat and of course the food and drink is better in F. However, like yourself, I am more than happy with 64K and I have a trip on that seat coming up in a few weeks time.
Old Dec 21, 2016, 6:17 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Gold
Mrs w3andw4d and I were in 64J/K for the first time a few weeks ago to MIA.

The return was in the small front upper deck cabin on the A380.
There was no contest as far as the overall experience was concerned, the A380 won hands down. Smooth, quiet, clean and flight deck PAs were audible.

I suppose the fact that the 744 wasn't refurbished might have spoiled it a bit and the cabin crew seemed completely uninterested. Certainly, the better crew on the return helped a bit too.
Old Dec 21, 2016, 7:51 am

Programs: BAEC Blue
One for the CC contributors maybe, but is there any anecdotal evidence of crew favouring the UD over the LD? Admittedly, I've only flown CW 4 times - twice on the UD and twice on the LD - so I'm not drawing on vast experience, but the service from the UD crews was noticeably superior to that from the LD crews. Don't get me wrong, the LD crews were perfectly professional, but the UD crews were exceptional in their proactive attention to detail and their general friendliness. They made me feel they were pleased to have me on board and, as such, those UD flights were pretty much everything I'd always hoped a BA CW flight would be.
Old Dec 21, 2016, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by frank_poulankh
One for the CC contributors maybe, but is there any anecdotal evidence of crew favouring the UD over the LD? Admittedly, I've only flown CW 4 times - twice on the UD and twice on the LD - so I'm not drawing on vast experience, but the service from the UD crews was noticeably superior to that from the LD crews. Don't get me wrong, the LD crews were perfectly professional, but the UD crews were exceptional in their proactive attention to detail and their general friendliness. They made me feel they were pleased to have me on board and, as such, those UD flights were pretty much everything I'd always hoped a BA CW flight would be.
The crew to passenger ratio on the UD is much higher than the LD. This will probably explain the proactivity difference, and hence the crew's mood may be slightly better due to less work to do!
Old Dec 21, 2016, 10:15 am

Programs: BAEC Blue
Originally Posted by rossmacd
The crew to passenger ratio on the UD is much higher than the LD. This will probably explain the proactivity difference, and hence the crew's mood may be slightly better due to less work to do!
There's that, sure (I know I'm opening myself up to criticism/leg-pulling with what follows), but do CC view it as being a more prestigious cabin in which to work? Given the preference for the cabin among frequent flyers, does the CSD assign her/his best crew to the UD? I'm speaking from virtually no experience, I know, and I've more than likely just seen the law of averages at work, but it still nags at me... The crews I've had on the UD have been so much better than those I've had downstairs.
Old Dec 21, 2016, 10:20 am

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
Never managed to make it up to the UD before, but it's on my bucket list for next year before all the BA 747s eventually disappear. I was glad to see the 747 make a return on the SAN-LHR route this year, so much so, that despite an absence of several years on BA, I booked my Christmas travel at the very pointy end of the plane (and no seat reservation fee to boot, which was the reason for my absence from BA in the first place). If the 747 is still serving the route next Christmas, then the plan is for CW on the UD as I'll have AA Platinum status through till Jan 18, so can reserve seats for free at the time of booking which will hopefully ensure I get a seat up there.
Old Dec 21, 2016, 6:57 pm

Programs: BA GfL, GGL/CCR
great plane - love it. A long history - shame it will soon be gone.

64 A or 64 K does fare well comapred to F on the 747, especially when you take into account the storage.

Have to agree tho, that 1AK better, nothing better than being there.

Upstairs downside as there are always 2 of us, then someone has to sit in 64b or 64j. And its not me !!

Putting seats to one side, I just love the plane. Not suret why really as its noisy, rattles a lot, needs some TLC.

Granted, shes not the latest iphone , but shes a beaut all the same. Like the old brick phone some of us may remember fondly (ish).
Old Dec 21, 2016, 7:39 pm

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
I did manage snag 1 A/K for my trip back to the U.K. later this week. Looking forward to it.
Old Dec 22, 2016, 2:20 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I fly WT or WTP if I can get away with it only (if I'm paying or company) and as a parent of 2 primary school age children don't get much opportunity to spend my avios on J treats.

Flying CW UD in Jan and very much looking forward to it. They only thing I can benchmark it against was flying LH F on the UD 7 years ago (because it's possible to spend *A points...)
Old Dec 22, 2016, 3:20 am

Hi there,

As this thread was over 4 years old when resurrected, we should close it as per the rules of Flyertalk which state that threads older than 2 years stay in the bin. We do however encourage a new thread being started on the topic if someone feels obliged.
Discussing the UD on the 747 is going to be happening for a while yet.

Thanks for understanding
Petrus, moderator BAEC forum

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.