Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SFO- LAX and towns and cities inbetween

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2012, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

SFO- LAX and towns and cities inbetween

Me and Mr WOT are flying to SFO in 22/04/2013 and flying back from LAX 03/05/13. We intend to stay 2 nights in SF, drive to Lake Tahoe for one night and then drive onto Yosemite for one night and then our plan then is to drive down PCH stopping over at 'Some California Town' along the way before one night in Santa Barbara and then 5 nights on LA beaches - possibly Huntingdon/Laguna as we have done Malibu, Santa Monica and Venice on a previous trip. Question is - which town is best to stay at along the way : Big Sur/ Pismo Beach/ Paso Robles etc, bearing mind this is to break up the driving and see the scenery. Any suggestions welcome.

Many Thanks
Old Oct 2, 2012, 12:50 pm

Programs: NZ *Gold
For a fun one or two nights I'd suggest Santa Cruz, a fifties style pleasure beach and a visit to the Mystery Spot. Downtown Santa Cruz is a good spot for people watching and has a good range of artisan/non chain stores. As well as the crusty hippies, elderly surfer dudes, the god shouters and ladies who lunch
Old Oct 2, 2012, 1:04 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond-Marriott Platinum-life
Originally Posted by RedVee
For a fun one or two nights I'd suggest Santa Cruz, a fifties style pleasure beach and a visit to the Mystery Spot. Downtown Santa Cruz is a good spot for people watching and has a good range of artisan/non chain stores. As well as the crusty hippies, elderly surfer dudes, the god shouters and ladies who lunch
Pismo Beach is nice with a beach town feel up the road a bit is Avila very cute smaller town right on the beach! Either would be my choice for a break up of a long drive. Enjoy!!
Old Oct 2, 2012, 1:12 pm

Madonna Inn in San Luis Obispo is fun overnight stop. Kitsch steakhouse and every room themed individually including all rock rooms with rock waterfall showers.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 1:17 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
If you would like to get in a little wine tasting, Paso Robles is very nice. Sort of how Napa was 20 years ago. Good restaurants and right off the 101 highway which you'll probably want to switch to for your drive to Santa Barbara anyway.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 1:17 pm

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10A403 Safari/8536.25)

Neither Santa Cruz nor Monterrey did it for me. Santa Cruz possibly also backtracking a bit from Yosemite? Carmel certainly more "upscale", if a little twee (IMO). If you only have one night, I'd push on a little towards Big Sur, but make sure to arrive in daylight.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 1:43 pm

Programs: Le Creuset 26cm square grillit club, laithwaites red club
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10A405 Safari/8536.25)

Carmel is a nice little town near Monterey
Nice restaurants and a bit quirky. Have look for places along the big sur ( they won't be on Expedia etc)

We like the Sonoma area for wine tasting just north of San Fran
Old Oct 2, 2012, 1:50 pm

Programs: BA something, Luftwaffe SEN, CX Gold, Pilsbury Doughboy Fanclub, and lots of Amex cards
San Luis Obispo is pretty much slap bang in the middle between SF and LA, and is my usual stopping point. Madonna inn is fun, but also plenty of motels there if you prefer.

There are some great vineyards in the area - totally different wines to napa, and (dare I say it), not as pretentious as some of the napa places. I highly recommend the tasting room at Tangent winery - I discovered their superb albarino on an F sector a couple of years ago and made sure to visit next time I was in the area and it did not disappoint.

Its less than a 10 min drive from there to shell beach, where you can stop by Zorro's for some food (superb place & food despite the name), and when you have finished there you are right by the 101/1 to head south again.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 1:53 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
san simeon hearst castle is worth a couple of hours.....

Last edited by clacko; Oct 2, 2012 at 1:58 pm
Old Oct 2, 2012, 2:01 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
You mut really like driving - looks like you are going for 4-6 hours driving a day. We have done all of this but usually with longer stop overs.

Santa Cruz is OK - it is tacky but it's quite fun. If you want something quieter then how about Aptos - there is an OK Best Western there.

There is a really nice Hyatt in Santa Barbara which has just completed major renovations.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 2:18 pm
Original Poster

We have been to Monterey and Carmel but we will bear all suggestions in mind. Thanks to all who suggested and yes Mr WoT does like to get behind the wheel !
Old Oct 2, 2012, 2:26 pm

Programs: BA Silver
After Yosemite, are you planning to drive back to SF before getting on the PCH?, or do you want to join it directly?

I did Santa Barbara to Monterey in one day in December last year. We left quite late in the morning and didn't gun it, but it was dark by the time we got into Monterey. If I was doing this drive again, I would want to take it slower through Big Sur as there are a lot of pretty photo opportunities.

Driving from Yosemite even as far as Monterey is going to be a very long drive, and then another long drive the next day to Santa Barbara.

Monterey has a lot of options of places to stay, but we struggled to find something that was a step up from motel-type without it being $200+ (not very good value for our very short stay). We did book last minute though, so probably our own fault.

Santa Barbara is beautiful - I would probably take a few nights there rather than the LA beaches, but horses/courses etc.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 3:14 pm

Programs: VS Silver, BA Blue - finally; but hotels.com Gold :)
Originally Posted by leaveamessage
San Luis Obispo is pretty much slap bang in the middle between SF and LA, and is my usual stopping point. Madonna inn is fun, but also plenty of motels there if you prefer.

There are some great vineyards in the area - totally different wines to napa, and (dare I say it), not as pretentious as some of the napa places. I highly recommend the tasting room at Tangent winery - I discovered their superb albarino on an F sector a couple of years ago and made sure to visit next time I was in the area and it did not disappoint.

Its less than a 10 min drive from there to shell beach, where you can stop by Zorro's for some food (superb place & food despite the name), and when you have finished there you are right by the 101/1 to head south again.
The above comes with full Littlefish and (on the wine front) Mrsfish endorsement.
S.L.O is a good base and excellent local wineries to explore, with the place mentioned (which is in effect 4 wineries in one), in our top three.
Morro Bay a few miles to the North is a beautiful location, and certainly a great harborfront lunch spot. Probably good enough for overnights too.
The 101 is reasonably quick to Santa Barbara.
As an indicator, we left the S.L.O wineries at 11:30 and comfortably tootled down to SAN for the 272 the same day, back in Feb.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 3:37 pm

I'd suggest Big Sur and the coastline south of there along the Pacific Coast Highway.

The suggestion of Paso Robles and the wine country around, made by previous posters, is also excellent. It's a beautiful area.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
I would do Big Sur and Santa Barbara. Though the last time I went to SB it was all "modernized", but still nice and quaint. Solvang is another one. As well as Ojai .

And check out this magazine, they have incredible suggestions, for both Northern and southern Ca. http://www.sunset.com/

And Huntington Beach isn't near Laguna. One LA county and the other Orange county (south of LA county) I would do Laguna, much nicer. But not near LAX.

Last edited by Yahillwe; Oct 2, 2012 at 3:55 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.