Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA stopped interlining baggage on separate tickets?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2012, 1:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold; *G

Checked in today in the First area of T5, flying BA LHR-DXB then separate ticket CX DXB - HKG - DPS. The agent said he could not interline the bags despite this being a OneWorld transfer unless the bookings were on the same ticket. He said it was because of the complication of payments for handling fees. I said I thought that was the case for transfers outside OneWorld. He called to check and was told he was right - no interlining (irrelevant of alliance) unless it is on the same ticket. Assuming they are correct, and I have no reason to think he would not be, this is a shame as one of the few OneWorld benefits for non-status passengers has now disappeared. Thankfully I have status but I am now stuck for the day in DXB with a big bag that I will have to pay to store!

Is it something to do with a recent US DOT decision? http://boardingarea.com/blogs/viewfr...arate-tickets/

Maybe it is a plot to give me less time at the BA lounge that CX use at DXB!
Old Oct 1, 2012, 1:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, BA Lounge Rats, BA Audit Survivors, CW Kitchen Defender, CX Noodle Connoisseurs Club
Originally Posted by eltibu
Maybe it is a plot to give me less time at the BA lounge that CX use at DXB!
If that is the case, they did you a huge favour!

Seriously though if this is really the case with interlining, I hope not
Old Oct 1, 2012, 1:18 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

The following guidelines do not recognise any policy change... http://www.speedbirdclub.com/nl/rese...age/thrucheck/
Old Oct 1, 2012, 1:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, BA Lounge Rats, BA Audit Survivors, CW Kitchen Defender, CX Noodle Connoisseurs Club
Originally Posted by Prospero
The following guidelines do not recognise any policy change... http://www.speedbirdclub.com/nl/rese...age/thrucheck/
Looks like eltibu might be justified in making a complaint.

https://www.britishairways.com/trave...m/public/en_gb

I wonder how many Avios that is worth?

BA will hopefully be able to tell which bag drop agent dealt with this and reeducate them.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 1:23 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by Prospero
I think the check-in agent was wrong. Sometimes it is not possible to issue a BP for the connecting flight but baggage should be through checked in for OW carriers (provided that the MCT is complied with)
Old Oct 1, 2012, 1:32 pm

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
I think the agent is wrong, maybe an email to YouFirst to confirm that should have happened and then a complain to follow depending on the reply from YouFirst! Dont overplay it but certainly the fact you had to collect bags, clear immegration etc I think you have a reasonable reason to complain even if in Economy let alone First!!
Old Oct 1, 2012, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold; *G
Generally I would agree that the agent was wrong but the fact he called up to ask and asked in a neutral way meant I had no ground to stand on. I remember the name from the agent's badge but I think it is not the done thing to refer to it here.

I'll write a complaint as you guys suggest because either way it is not great service. I'll let you know if I get any Avios!
Old Oct 1, 2012, 1:56 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Here's what is written on ba.com...

Baggage will normally be checked to your final destination, provided your journey is on the same ticket. However, if you hold separate tickets for the flights in your journey, British Airways will only through check your baggage to your final destination if the connecting flights are operated by British Airways or by another oneworld airline.

http://www.britishairways.com/travel...k/public/en_gb
Old Oct 1, 2012, 2:09 pm

Programs: BA Exec Silver, BA Amex Premium Plus
Question: I have a trip on BA to HKG arr on the 18th at 1420, then CX onto Phuket on the 19th at 1445, both on seperate ticket, I suppose the lugguage won't be interlined to Phuket right?
Old Oct 1, 2012, 2:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
They should do it, if they follow the rules.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 2:27 pm

The agent is wrong, one world and one ticket journeys can be through checked.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 2:28 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by luxury_travel
Question: I have a trip on BA to HKG arr on the 18th at 1420, then CX onto Phuket on the 19th at 1445, both on seperate ticket, I suppose the lugguage won't be interlined to Phuket right?
I don't know the answer though DWFI's response suggests it is possible. Presumably, though, there is some time limit for transfers (I would have thought 24 hours ?). I'm transferring from BA to RJ with an overnight in Paris - would be very handy if we could check bags all the way through.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 2:29 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by PaulN
I don't know the answer though DWFI's response suggests it is possible. Presumably, though, there is some time limit for transfers (I would have thought 24 hours ?)
That would be very annoying for luxury_travel wouldn't it!
Old Oct 1, 2012, 2:33 pm

Programs: BA Exec Silver, BA Amex Premium Plus
interesting, as we overnight in HKG before the Phuke flight, my initial thought were to leave all the suitcases (family of 5) in the hotel in HK and take whatever we need to Phuket for 3 nights stay. Would need to call YouFirst to see if perhaps 3 suitcases out of 5 can reach Phuket and the remaining 2 to HKG.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by PaulN
I don't know the answer though DWFI's response suggests it is possible. Presumably, though, there is some time limit for transfers (I would have thought 24 hours ?). I'm transferring from BA to RJ with an overnight in Paris - would be very handy if we could check bags all the way through.
You are correct, usually 24 hours is the limit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.