Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA stopped interlining baggage on separate tickets?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA stopped interlining baggage on separate tickets?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2012, 2:34 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by eltibu
Checked in today in the First area of T5, flying BA LHR-DXB then separate ticket CX DXB - HKG - DPS. The agent said he could not interline the bags despite this being a OneWorld transfer unless the bookings were on the same ticket. He said it was because of the complication of payments for handling fees. I said I thought that was the case for transfers outside OneWorld. He called to check and was told he was right - no interlining (irrelevant of alliance) unless it is on the same ticket. Assuming they are correct, and I have no reason to think he would not be, this is a shame as one of the few OneWorld benefits for non-status passengers has now disappeared. Thankfully I have status but I am now stuck for the day in DXB with a big bag that I will have to pay to store!

Is it something to do with a recent US DOT decision? http://boardingarea.com/blogs/viewfr...arate-tickets/

Maybe it is a plot to give me less time at the BA lounge that CX use at DXB!
I'm wondering, did you have more luggage than your allowance on CX but not above your BA allowance?
Old Oct 5, 2012, 5:09 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, BAEC Silver, Thai Silver, Bangkok Air, Krisflyer Blue
Lose bags whilst interlining at SIN? Probably the least likely place for that to happen.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 10:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold; *G
Update: BA Customer Services have been in touch without me writing a complaint. They confirmed that the agent was wrong. They are following up.

I agree there could have been a problem if the bag was over CX's weight limit but not BA's. In this case it wasn't - 28kg if I remember correctly - checking into CX Business Class.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:12 am

Programs: Marriott + Hilton. Fly BA and AZ
Similar Problem

Been trying to find the reply to a similar Q but my problem also involves "time"

Flying on BA service LHR -> ICN which arrives @ 0855

My connection with CX is @ 1020 (although I'm still in time to change my travel plans)

Will BA interline through ICN BA -> CX with a 85 minute connection? KE transfer on a much shorter window but I wouldn't like any last minute surprises as obviously if BA doesn't interline there would be no way to make the connection

Any help much appreciated^
Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:56 am

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Originally Posted by terminalfive
Been trying to find the reply to a similar Q but my problem also involves "time"

Flying on BA service LHR -> ICN which arrives @ 0855

My connection with CX is @ 1020 (although I'm still in time to change my travel plans)

Will BA interline through ICN BA -> CX with a 85 minute connection? KE transfer on a much shorter window but I wouldn't like any last minute surprises as obviously if BA doesn't interline there would be no way to make the connection

Any help much appreciated^

You need to find out what the minimum connection times are at ICN and as long as you have a legal connection BA cant refuse to tag your bag to your final destination

cs
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:12 pm

Programs: Marriott + Hilton. Fly BA and AZ
Originally Posted by cornishsimon
You need to find out what the minimum connection times are at ICN and as long as you have a legal connection BA cant refuse to tag your bag to your final destination

cs
I can't actually confirm this but looks like 45 minutes @ ICN :

http://www.businessweek.com/globalbi...323_396049.htm

Thanks cornishsimon
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:15 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Originally Posted by terminalfive
Originally Posted by cornishsimon

cs
I can't actually confirm this but looks like 45 minutes @ ICN :

http://www.businessweek.com/globalbi...323_396049.htm

Thanks cornishsimon

I should add a caveat to my comments

If you meet the minimum connection time BA can't refuse to tag your bag to final destination, if your final destination is on another OW ticket/ airline.

cs
Old May 28, 2016, 7:34 am

Programs: UA Plat
Update: No interline connections in 2016

As an update, I just flew BA to LHR Terminal 3 on one ticket and then LHR Terminal 3 to HEL (Finnair) on another. The second flight was part of a Visit Europe Pass. I was unable to book my bags through on the interline connection. Yet when I checked with the agent in the BA lounge they said it could have been done and should have been done. I complained on BA.com and got the following reply:

"If your journey requires you to make a connection, your luggage will usually be checked to your final destination. However, customers should be aware that when they have booked their flights on two different booking references, due to security reasons our staff are not allowed to check their bags for further connection on a different booking. The luggage may have to be collected on arrival and re-checked due to local customs or security regulations."

So, if this is correct it does imply a change of policy compared with previous posts in this thread.

On the way home I connect into LHR again on my Visit Europe Pass, this time arriving on BA and departing on BA. Can I anticipate having to collect my bag and then recheck it with BA?
Old May 28, 2016, 7:45 am

Programs: AC 35K
According to BA.com luggage will be checked through on separate tickets as long as you're connecting to a OneWorld airline.

Can't find the exact quote as on mobile, but remember reading this within the last week on BA.com
Old May 28, 2016, 8:23 am

Programs: AA,BAEC bronze
Originally Posted by economyplusfan
As an update, I just flew BA to LHR Terminal 3 on one ticket and then LHR Terminal 3 to HEL (Finnair) on another. The second flight was part of a Visit Europe Pass. I was unable to book my bags through on the interline connection. Yet when I checked with the agent in the BA lounge they said it could have been done and should have been done. I complained on BA.com and got the following reply:

"If your journey requires you to make a connection, your luggage will usually be checked to your final destination. However, customers should be aware that when they have booked their flights on two different booking references, due to security reasons our staff are not allowed to check their bags for further connection on a different booking. The luggage may have to be collected on arrival and re-checked due to local customs or security regulations."

So, if this is correct it does imply a change of policy compared with previous posts in this thread.

On the way home I connect into LHR again on my Visit Europe Pass, this time arriving on BA and departing on BA. Can I anticipate having to collect my bag and then recheck it with BA?

Just had the same issue with my bags from TXL-LAX having two tickets with BA on BA metal. Agent in Berlin refused to check bags through to LA and I had to collect and recheck bags in LHR. Long story short I wrote to BA customer service and got this response:

I'd like to inform you that your baggage will normally be checked to your final destination, provided your journey is on the same ticket. However, if you hold separate tickets for the flights in your journey, we will only through check your baggage to your final destination if the connecting flights are operated by us or by another oneworld airline.
Old May 28, 2016, 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by snapplefan
Just had the same issue with my bags from TXL-LAX having two tickets with BA on BA metal. Agent in Berlin refused to check bags through to LA and I had to collect and recheck bags in LHR. Long story short I wrote to BA customer service and got this response:

I'd like to inform you that your baggage will normally be checked to your final destination, provided your journey is on the same ticket. However, if you hold separate tickets for the flights in your journey, we will only through check your baggage to your final destination if the connecting flights are operated by us or by another oneworld airline.
I assume you replied to them highlighting that they didn't correctly follow their own policy?!
Old May 28, 2016, 8:10 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Big thread on this recently

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...aggage-qr.html

Seems something is definitely afoot
Old Oct 13, 2016, 6:58 am

BA on separate tickets Club World

Hey Guys

We have a flight from LHR-JNB in business then another business internal from JNB-CPT. Will they let us check our bags right through in business even although it is two separate bookings/ tickets?

K
Old Oct 13, 2016, 7:00 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Originally Posted by kennynik
Hey Guys

We have a flight from LHR-JNB in business then another business internal from JNB-CPT. Will they let us check our bags right through in business even although it is two separate bookings/ tickets?

K

Welcome to Flyertalk kennynik. You have to pick them up and take them through customs and drop them off again anyway so it doesn't really make any difference bar saving a few seconds at the drop off.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Airprox
You have to pick them up and take them through customs and drop them off again anyway so it doesn't really make any difference bar saving a few seconds at the drop off.
IME, even if the bag is through-tagged (which does occasionally happen) it wouldn't even save a few seconds as Comair will rip off the through tag and print a new one just for the domestic flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.