Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

AA discriminating against BA Gold in domestic F/J seat allocation?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2012, 6:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL For Life: Hilton Diamond: IHG Platinum

Hello All

am getting a bit fed up of booking trips that involve Domestic A or D class flights on AA (as part of a Transatlantic or RTW booking) and finding myself automatically alloacted a seat in the very last row of First or Business Class, even when there are plenty of seats available further forward.

This has happened on my last 3 or 4 bookings, going back 6 - 7 months.

Addditionally, even when I go onto AA.com and change the seating (using the AA Locator) the seats frequently get moved back to the last row before I check in.

I think this is pretty poor for a BA Gold ECH / One World Emerald, and whilst I accept that every OW member can and does reserve certain seats for it's own elite Frequent Flyers, I don't think putting me in the last row EVERY TIME, even when "non elite" seats are available elsewhere in the cabin, is right.

Anyone else experienced this and have any ideas on how to stop it??!!
Old Sep 26, 2012, 6:03 am

Yes to me and I agree. Several times I change seats and then they kick you back.
Whilst on the topic of AA I think the lounges they have to offer are poor.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 6:13 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
When connecting on AA I am always allocated a seat on the last row of First, but once changed to my preferred seat it's always remained there unless there has been an aircraft change.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 6:17 am

Programs: OW Emerald (BA), UA*G, Marriott Plat, IC RA, Various others
NYC-MIA-NYC recently, the same thing happened. Not bad when FEBO works in your favour, but not good if it does not. Have given feedback to BAEC, hopefully it will work its way through to AA.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 6:18 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I rarely have a problem here - I generally get row 1 (not a good idea on a 757 if sleeping though). I almost always book via AA.com, as a visitor.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Surely "discrimination" is exaggerating a bit?

Here's a tip: don't put your BA number in the booking. Then they can discriminate against you as a mere "pleb"!
Old Sep 26, 2012, 6:28 am

That sounds strange. I've never had a problem with seating on AA as either a Gold or Silver with BA.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
I thought that the last row was a desirable place for odd-numbered flights. Or am I confusing that with something else?
Old Sep 26, 2012, 6:29 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Globaliser
I thought that the last row was a desirable place for odd-numbered flights. Or am I confusing that with something else?
No you are correct, if getting food first is your preference. But c'mon, who would ever want to sit further back, when you can sit further forward... Not me. I like to be sat looking at as few other people as possible... Make the plane seem more private and less disruptive that way. Plus, usually, it means neared the door - whether wanting to disembark quickly, or get the hell out of there in a real panic!

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I rarely have a problem here - I generally get row 1 (not a good idea on a 757 if sleeping though). I almost always book via AA.com, as a visitor.
Me too. Never had this problem, when using my BAEC Silver number...
Old Sep 26, 2012, 6:35 am

Programs: QF WP (LTG), AA, SPG Gold, IC Plat Amb, Hyatt Plat, HH Gold.
Are you using the AA PNR when you log in to AA.com to select seats?
As a QF Platinum I can choose any open seat on bookings, so I hope it works as well for other OWE's.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
When connecting on AA I am always allocated a seat on the last row of First, but once changed to my preferred seat it's always remained there unless there has been an aircraft change.
I find this too. Aircraft changes are however a frequent event with AA.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 8:41 am

Programs: BA Gold, M&M Silver
Originally Posted by travelswithmybriefcase
Hello All

am getting a bit fed up of booking trips that involve Domestic A or D class flights on AA (as part of a Transatlantic or RTW booking) and finding myself automatically alloacted a seat in the very last row of First or Business Class, even when there are plenty of seats available further forward.

This has happened on my last 3 or 4 bookings, going back 6 - 7 months.

Addditionally, even when I go onto AA.com and change the seating (using the AA Locator) the seats frequently get moved back to the last row before I check in.

I think this is pretty poor for a BA Gold ECH / One World Emerald, and whilst I accept that every OW member can and does reserve certain seats for it's own elite Frequent Flyers, I don't think putting me in the last row EVERY TIME, even when "non elite" seats are available elsewhere in the cabin, is right.

Anyone else experienced this and have any ideas on how to stop it??!!
Sorry to say this, but you really need to find something more significant to gett you worked up/frustrated about! What charmed lives some people lead.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 8:45 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
AA Emeralds / EXPs encounter this also. However, since the last row of F is actually quite desireable to me (in many but not all cases), I'm glad that they usually put me there ^
Old Sep 26, 2012, 8:48 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by travelswithmybriefcase
I can't remember a single time I've had my seat moved in F (provided no change of equipment) after putting in a seat request online. I always put my gold card details into the booking on AA.com.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 8:48 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
It's just how their system works. I would not call it discrimination. I am also always pre-assigned one of the last rows in any cabin but it is easy to change, is not it? And the seat assignments usually do stick.

BA sits me and my bf in different rows or in two aisle seats in the same row on many occasions... Figure that out...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.