Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Additional passport checks on arrival

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2012, 3:34 am
Original Poster

Additional passport checks on arrival

Yesterday when we got off an about 0700 arrival from GRU, there were four border guards checking passports as we left the aeroplane door. We were off early but if they continued some passengers would have had very long waits to disembark.

I've never experienced this type of additional check before. Any suggestions why? No police offficers there.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 3:51 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold
Some flights will be targetted to prevent anyone disposing of their password before the border who may otherwise be returned to their home country. Without a passport it becomes far more problematic to refuse entry.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 4:08 am

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
Never had it at T5, but it frequently happened at T1 International. However it wasn't particularly effective as the check consisted of two young ladies sitting on a bench inside the terminal building, completely ignoring the inbound PAX and rather discussing last night's events!

Compare to FRA T2 where two border police are at the first "bend" in the jetty and two more with dogs at the next "bend". And all passports were checked.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 4:11 am

Programs: BA Gold
What's the point when one has no choice but to go through immigration?

H
Old Sep 20, 2012, 4:16 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by rembrandtuk

to prevent anyone disposing of their password
You now need a passport and a password? What's the password this month?
Old Sep 20, 2012, 4:35 am

Programs: AF FB Platinum, BA EC Gold, StarGold, Hyatt Platinum, SPG Gold, Amex Centurion
This month's password is "Look there's a 3 headed monkey behind you" and you run as fast as possible.

M
Old Sep 20, 2012, 4:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Hoch
What's the point when one has no choice but to go through immigration?

H
People do lose/destroy their passport - deliberately - once they have successfully boarded so that they can claim asylum (or whatever) when they arrive.

If someone arrives at immigration claiming not to have any passport, then it can at least be determined if they "lost" it between exiting the plane and arriving at the border. (If the passport checkers at the plane door already detect a paper-less person, then a different procedure can be followed - such as trying to find the passport or its remains on board, and/or determining whether the airline therefore broke the law by bringing a person to the UK without the necessary passport (and visa, where required).
Old Sep 20, 2012, 4:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not uncommon - I've experience on both long and shorthaul flights at Heathrow from places like Brazil, Morocco and India.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 4:52 am

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
Experienced this once on a flight from Spain. Thankfully, I was in CE and was out first before the queue really started. Pax at the back of the plane would be waiting for ages.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 5:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by irishguy28
If someone arrives at immigration claiming not to have any passport, then it can at least be determined if they "lost" it between exiting the plane and arriving at the border
Indeed ... for example by tearing it up and flushing it down a lavatory!
Old Sep 20, 2012, 5:13 am

Programs: BA Silver, ANZ Gold, Hertz Gold
Sometimes this is done when a suspected criminal or somebody else on an international watch list is expected to be on board as well..
Old Sep 20, 2012, 5:27 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Last time it happened to me was at T3, coming off a near-full SQ A380 from SIN in June. After 13 hours in Y, it wasn't the best moment for anyone to ask, although fortunately fairly quick and painless, at least for us Brit passport holders - even with just two people looking at 450-odd passports!

I would have to say that was the first check I can remember for several years - previous to that was at AMS, most likely on a USA originating flight.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 5:30 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, Avis Preferred Plus, Amex Plat
Had it a few times. I've always assumed that there's specific intelligence about that flight which requires more attention.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 5:32 am
Suspended

Had it happen to me as well. Flight arrive in T5 from GIG...
Old Sep 20, 2012, 11:43 am

I have noticed this on inbounds from India. I imagine it is a precaution against fraudulent documents.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.