Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Honouring Seat reservations

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2012, 11:36 pm
Original Poster

I had a seat-reservation for BA207 on 62K tomorrow. When i made OLCI today, exactly on time, BA had my seat moved down to 19A and all the good seats on the Upper deck were taken. Is this normal behavior, that BA is not honoring seat reservations?
The seat map was the same, so i assume there was no equipment change and it would be very strange, if this seat is broken and could not be reserved.
I am Silver, so the reservation was free, but why do they do reservations, if they dont honour them?
Old Sep 19, 2012, 12:37 am

Programs: AA EXP
Funny you bring this up.. I'm on the 208 MIA-LHR and while my seat is fine, my friend and wife went to do OLCI and were unceremoniously booted from 63JK (specifically assigned next to my girlfriend and me) to row 17 downstairs. It took some wrangling with multiple phone calls to get them back up to the upper deck, though now we are no longer sat next to each other.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 12:50 am
Suspended

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, Gulf Air Silver, Aegean Gold, M&M FQTV, Air Malta Diamond
The airline may move your seat before or after checkin.

Their conditions state this clearly and you are still in a business class seat.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 12:54 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by Final 3 Greens

Yes, it doesn't answer the OP's question though does it.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 1:21 am

Originally Posted by Final 3 Greens

This is of course factually correct. But although this is what the T&C say, airlines (not just BA) who have seat per-assignment do IMO suggest that the seat you select is very likely to be the one you sit in. If in the vast majority of cases this is how it works out then fine. If for operational reasons one is very occassionally moved then that's just bad luck. On the other hand, if the seat selection is often not what you actually get, as the OP is asking, then it would seem there is a perfectly reasonable mismatching of expectations.

OP - I have always had my seat selection work out with BA. In fact not just with BA but with other airlines too. However it has to be said that for a good portion of my time flying BA I have been gold (noting you are silver) which my have affected my experience. My gut feel is that it is not the norm for your pre-selection to be cancelled, but that is not based on reliable empirical evidence.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 1:29 am
Original Poster

I called BA and in the reservation, the Seat 62K is still confirmed. They told me this seat shuffle can only be sorted out at the airport tomorrow.
I know, BA has the right to move people out of operational reasons. But moving people already at OLCI seems a little odd.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 1:33 am

Programs: my wings are gold
can not delete without saying something !
Old Sep 19, 2012, 2:35 am

Hi,

Our son and his new wife were booked with BMI redemptions from EDI-ZRH-JNB in C and F and I had all the seats booked for them.

When they turned up at EDI for what has become a BA flight to LHR, they found themselves at the back of the aircraft! And, of course, there is no C on BA domestic.

Led to a frantic call from LHR to ask if all the other flighs were going to be changed too!

Did make me feel like there was something missing in customer service - surely if seat reservations are changed, even a simple email.

As I say, and it may not be apparent to many airline staff or frequent flyers, simple things can stress "simple" people like our son.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 2:40 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by flygod
Hi,

Our son and his new wife were booked with BMI redemptions from EDI-ZRH-JNB in C and F and I had all the seats booked for them.

When they turned up at EDI for what has become a BA flight to LHR, they found themselves at the back of the aircraft! And, of course, there is no C on BA domestic.

Led to a frantic call from LHR to ask if all the other flighs were going to be changed too!

Did make me feel like there was something missing in customer service - surely if seat reservations are changed, even a simple email.

As I say, and it may not be apparent to many airline staff or frequent flyers, simple things can stress "simple" people like our son.
No offence, but I fail to see the comparison between the two situations. Not having a class of
travel because of a merger, which I am sure once the domestic flight was taken, C or F was
completed on the other flights, is not quite the same as being moved to a different seat in the
same class.

H
Old Sep 19, 2012, 5:17 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Edgar_Schulz
I had a seat-reservation for BA207 on 62K tomorrow. When i made OLCI today, exactly on time, BA had my seat moved down to 19A and all the good seats on the Upper deck were taken. Is this normal behavior, that BA is not honoring seat reservations?
The seat map was the same, so i assume there was no equipment change and it would be very strange, if this seat is broken and could not be reserved.
I am Silver, so the reservation was free, but why do they do reservations, if they dont honour them?
I am sorry to read this. It must be quite rare and though I have been very occasionally seat shifted, I have never been kicked out of UD. I think it probably falls into the "very bad luck" category. There are all sorts of reasons why this may have happened, but it's unlikely you will ever find out, unless there are some obvious VIPs involved. It wouldn't harm to call Customer Services to see if they can do something.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 5:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Originally Posted by Hoch
No offence, but I fail to see the comparison between the two situations. Not having a class of
travel because of a merger, which I am sure once the domestic flight was taken, C or F was
completed on the other flights, is not quite the same as being moved to a different seat in the
same class.

H
So the GCH who get row 1 blocked for them on domestics would have absolutely no problems if they had row 21 blocked for them instead?
Old Sep 19, 2012, 8:15 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Jenbel
So the GCH who get row 1 blocked for them on domestics would have absolutely no problems if they had row 21 blocked for them instead?
Perhaps, but then they wouldn't get off first

Sorry, when I wrote the above earlier the baby was driving me nuts. Blasted teething!

H
Old Sep 19, 2012, 8:20 am

Programs: # Neodymium #
surely it's a "seat request", rather than a "seat reservation"..?
Old Sep 19, 2012, 8:21 am
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, BA Lounge Rats, BA Audit Survivors, CW Kitchen Defender, CX Noodle Connoisseurs Club

So what are these operational reasons of which they speak?

GCH having a hissy fit on the gold line? Does that count?
Old Sep 19, 2012, 8:23 am

Programs: Virgin Flying Club Red, Emirates Skywards Blue, BA Executive Club Blue, Amex BA
What happens if you pay for a seat reservation, do you get a refund?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.