Moscow Choices....

Old Sep 10, 2012, 8:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, LH Sen, EK & VS Gold, Amex Cent
Moscow Choices....

So I couldnt find a thread, please merge if one exists.

With the choice of 744, 767 and 321 on the route, as well as three different seats in business (as I understand). What would you regular travellers recommend (I haven't been there in 5 years)?

I'm never getting on the 8am 744 outbound, so I'll likely reserve that for return (UD with potential for OpUp to F), so that leaves me with 767/321 around the same times in the evening. Which is considered the better of the two (and is either better than 744 on return)?

Incidentally if anyone has experience of Moscow-St. Petes and has recommendations there, it would also be appreciated.

Last edited by YClass; Sep 10, 2012 at 8:52 am
Old Sep 10, 2012, 8:24 am

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Moscow Choices....

The LHR -DME service is only B744 or B763 on BA

The A321 is a bmi aircraft to be best of my knowledge so if you want to depart T5 your going to be on the 763 service in CW.

cs
Old Sep 10, 2012, 8:30 am
Original Poster

Ahh of course - I forgot about the Terminals. And having read again I see the new BMI (BA) business seats won't be installed until the New Year. I assume 767 CW is better than BMI mid-haul J, so I'll stick with that then except where the 744 timing makes sense.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 8:31 am

Programs: Mucci de Pucci, BA Gold, Delta SkyMiles, CX Gold, AMEX Plat, 25 meter swimming badge
Having been twice this year on BD and BA I'd recommend a video conference.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 8:50 am

Programs: ABBA
I assume from your email this is in business class. The 767 is the worst CW cabin (and the best WTP cabin, especially if it's a refurb), however you know what you're getting. The A321, I believe, may be mid-haul with 1-2-1 lie-flat beds in CW, or the old BMI business seats.

I recommend getting the train into Moscow from DME, rather than a taxi.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 9:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by paulwuk
I assume from your email this is in business class. The 767 is the worst CW cabin (and the best WTP cabin, especially if it's a refurb), however you know what you're getting. The A321, I believe, may be mid-haul with 1-2-1 lie-flat beds in CW, or the old BMI business seats.

I recommend getting the train into Moscow from DME, rather than a taxi.
Yes business, clarification made, thanks. I'm working on the assumption that old CW is better than old BMI (correct me if I'm wrong!).

If taking the red-eye and landing 4:30am, will a car still be very slow? I was hoping I could avoid morning traffic. Otherwise train it is.

@OrchardTravel I wish I could....
Old Sep 10, 2012, 9:03 am

Programs: Mucci de Pucci, BA Gold, Delta SkyMiles, CX Gold, AMEX Plat, 25 meter swimming badge
Originally Posted by YClass
Yes business, clarification made, thanks. I'm working on the assumption that old CW is better than old BMI (correct me if I'm wrong!).

If taking the red-eye and landing 4:30am, will a car still be very slow? I was hoping I could avoid morning traffic. Otherwise train it is.

@ OrchardTravel I wish I could....
I much prefer the CW cabin on a LH 763 to the newer one, with the single exception of a decent seat upstairs on the 744. I even prefer the fan divider.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 10:11 am

Programs: BAEC GfL/GGL/CCR, BA Amex, Quidco, IHG Spire, Hotels.com Reinstated Gold)
I would recommend booking CW and getting the free one-way upgrade to First currently on offer
Old Sep 10, 2012, 10:24 am

Programs: BA-GGL, SU-G Agean, G,, Hhonours D, Starwood G, IHG G,
if you can guarantee the new BD Cabin, take it as the flight times are slightly less unsociable on evening flight. If not go Club World. Its a bed and when you are asleep, who cares if the decor is a tad tatty!

If you are on the 9:30PM or 10:30PM forget the train. First one is 7AM, two and a half hours or 1 and a half hours after arrival. At that time it takes 40 minutes to the centre hotels.

I have a taxi driver I always use, but he would only be useful if you speak Russian. When I worked for a Multi Nat here, they had english speaking Taxi Firms with pre agreed pricing, so you may want to check the local office. If you speak Russian, IM me and I will pass his number.

On the way back go for the 747, 5:15 departure and get an Avios Upgrade. It always seems to be NF when I get it and as has been said before use the train to DME, as you can guarantee a horrible cab ride at that time and one accident and you miss your flight.

Best Coffe in the airport is Cafe Mania. I usually grab one and take to lounge. Finally, if you are bringing Vodka or Caviar back. Buy at a supermarket and pack in hold luggage. It will cost double incuding the zero tax at the airport. If you bring Cigs back, its about 20-25% of the duty free price in a kiosk!
Old Sep 11, 2012, 4:08 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Behindthecurtain

If you are on the 9:30PM or 10:30PM forget the train. First one is 7AM, two and a half hours or 1 and a half hours after arrival. At that time it takes 40 minutes to the centre hotels.
THere is certainly an Aeroexpress train from DME to Paveletskaya before 7am. About 5.55am from memory. I have taken it many times after the BA overnight flight - but that flight is a killer, even in CW. I would certainly recommend the BD flight timings. It might only be an hour different but it makes all the difference..

I would never take a car in Moscow. As well as usually being slower, it can be scary if you're not used to the "rules" of the road and you are in danger of being ripped off. Learn the Cyrillic alphabet and take the metro. All signs on the metro are still in Cyrillic so you need to know the alphabet - then you can work out the place names easily..

I'm sitting on the 11.05 to DME right now in WT+. I think it's been refurbished but it's difficult to tell. The 767 still feels old and I have decided that for the next few weeks I'll be travelling on the 747 instead, while its still in service on the route..
Old Sep 11, 2012, 5:54 am

Programs: BA-GGL, SU-G Agean, G,, Hhonours D, Starwood G, IHG G,
Moscow Choices....

I just looked the train timetable up and you are correct. Wonder when it changed as it used to be 7AM first train! Still at that time, I will stick to a taxi as lugging bags through a couple of metro changes is a pain and it's faster by car on a Sunday. If landing on a Monday with little luggage I would seriously consider it
Old Sep 11, 2012, 6:36 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all the help/suggestions. Turns out I have to postpone the trip anyway.

Incidentally my TA said Moscow isn't eligible for the F one-way upgrade.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 1:00 pm

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Behindthecurtain
I just looked the train timetable up and you are correct. Wonder when it changed as it used to be 7AM first train! Still at that time, I will stick to a taxi as lugging bags through a couple of metro changes is a pain and it's faster by car on a Sunday. If landing on a Monday with little luggage I would seriously consider it
In fact I looked this evening and the first train is 4.50-something which I think I have taken once before and never again. There is something very sad indeed about arriving in a closed, asleep Moscow city centre in the pouring rain before 6am...
Old Sep 19, 2012, 9:00 am

Programs: Mucci Grandee (Upgraded), BA Silver, AZ MilleMiglia
Does anyone know if the 08:50 LHR-DME 744 is a hi-J or a mid-J? thanks!
Old Sep 19, 2012, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by BAAZ
Does anyone know if the 08:50 LHR-DME 744 is a hi-J or a mid-J? thanks!
On the seatmap for this flight rows 12-20 are showing as CW on the lower deck. Is that Hi-J?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.