Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Avios Rewards Flight Saver Tax rise on 8OCT!

Old Sep 10, 12, 4:12 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Check out Avios.com that British Airways co-pay on Avios redemption in Zone 1-3 will be raised on 8th October!

So redeem some Avios if you like before the date.

The rise would be:

Economy class: £27 to £30
Business class: £34 to £40

Small rise, but it represent about 17.6% up in buesiness class co-pay (11% for economy class)

Website more info

Last edited by FlyerTalker688786; Sep 10, 12 at 4:57 am
Old Sep 10, 12, 4:29 am

Programs: UA 1P; AA Gold; Marriott Platinum

Ouch!! I didn't even know there was a copy...
Old Sep 10, 12, 5:32 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, Le Club Accor Gold
Does that mean it'll go up when redeeming Avios on short haul through BA.com also?
Old Sep 10, 12, 5:42 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fredandgingermad View Post
Does that mean it'll go up when redeeming Avios on short haul through BA.com also?
I believe that would be the case as the Avios and BA Rewards Saver rates are linked.
Old Sep 10, 12, 5:43 am
Company Representative - British Airways

Hi all

I was going to post this later today but the changes will take place for all Avios bookings. The details are as follows:

Economy From £27 to £30*
World Traveller Plus From £30 to £35**
Club Europe/Club World From £34 to £40*
First From £40 to £45**

*There will be no change to the current flat fee for Reward Flight Saver on eligible Comair flights in South Africa or the current Reward Flight Saver flat fee for infants
**Moscow services on British Airways only

Don't forget, there is still a lot of value in Reward Flight Saver bookings. The flat fee replaces taxes, fees and carrier charges and the increase is small in comparison. Wholly domestic connections to a flight within zones 1-3 are included in both the Avios and Reward Flight Saver flat fee.

Warm regards

Nicci
Old Sep 10, 12, 5:51 am

Programs: MUCCI
Hi Nicci,

Do you have any contacts in IB Plus scheme? (Any chance of getting an IB+ lurker in their FT section).

While the three Avios using schemes are different, things such as Reward Flight Savers are clealry designed to work the same way in all of them.

But IB+ seem to be doing a different implementation of the fees rule. Charging per sector.
Due to the current BAEC block on IB Express, we need to use IB+ accounts to make the remdemptions on itins that inlude IBexpress.
Old Sep 10, 12, 6:04 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BA Executive Club View Post
Hi all

I was going to post this later today but the changes will take place for all Avios bookings. The details are as follows:

Economy From £27 to £30*
World Traveller Plus From £30 to £35**
Club Europe/Club World From £34 to £40*
First From £40 to £45**

Don't forget, there is still a lot of value in Reward Flight Saver bookings. The flat fee replaces taxes, fees and carrier charges and the increase is small in comparison. Wholly domestic connections to a flight within zones 1-3 are included in both the Avios and Reward Flight Saver flat fee.

Warm regards

Nicci
Gee! What a surprise to beat the offcial announcement by an hour!
Old Sep 10, 12, 6:07 am

Glad I just booked my Rome CE trip, but with the increase it still represents a good deal. Previously, many would never have considered a shorthaul redemption, and availability is still generally decent. From the 'regions' it becomes even better value, even if you have to transit in London.
Old Sep 10, 12, 6:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BA Executive Club View Post
Don't forget, there is still a lot of value in Reward Flight Saver bookings.
Indeed.....I wish the same could be said for WT award bookings. The cash element in those are pretty horrendous. I was looking at a routing yesterday and found there was more value to be had by booking a revenue ticket.

By spending an extra £150 I'd not only save myself 80,000 Avios but I'd earn 13,000 Avios and 95 tier points.
Old Sep 10, 12, 6:43 am
Accor Contributor Badge

When i originally posted BA hadn't given their announcement I did like the table though showing the % savings
Old Sep 10, 12, 6:44 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
I think Reward Flight Savers are still a fantastic deal.

To be honest I have always felt that the cash component was too low anyway, given the actual tax, fees and charges. (Now I prepare to be burnt at stake as a FT BAEC heretic )
Old Sep 10, 12, 6:52 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HIDDY View Post
Indeed.....I wish the same could be said for WT award bookings. The cash element in those are pretty horrendous. I was looking at a routing yesterday and found there was more value to be had by booking a revenue ticket.

By spending an extra £150 I'd not only save myself 80,000 Avios but I'd earn 13,000 Avios and 95 tier points.
Yes I would not mind to pay 10,000 Avios more for a return WT or WT+ flight but no Fuel Surcharges!
Old Sep 10, 12, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
I've obviously missed the whole point of the RFS. I thought it was an acknowledgement that without it, the value proposition was a joke as you could practically buy the tickets for the same price as the TFC element alone.

The Avios site however now tells us:

"This increase reflects rises in air passenger duty (APD) – the government's flight tax – and rises in fuel prices."

So in other words we can expect annual increases in Reward Saver fees to compensate for taxes, plus a bit extra tapped on for fuel (even though crude is probably trading at the 12 month average price right now, and can't be more than a percent or two away from where it was a year ago).

And given the original charges never covered the entire TFC element, to start topping them up with 100% of the perceived increase seems a bit off...
Old Sep 10, 12, 7:00 am
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, BA Lounge Rats, BA Audit Survivors, CW Kitchen Defender, CX Noodle Connoisseurs Club
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia View Post
I think Reward Flight Savers are still a fantastic deal.

To be honest I have always felt that the cash component was too low anyway, given the actual tax, fees and charges. (Now I prepare to be burnt at stake as a FT BAEC heretic )
Someone pass me a stake please, now were are my matches?

You could actually use the charity donation option if you really feel that way!
Old Sep 10, 12, 7:02 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Have fuel costs actually risen? I know APD has but thats a different kettle of fish

Search this Thread