Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Avios Rewards Flight Saver Tax rise on 8OCT!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Avios Rewards Flight Saver Tax rise on 8OCT!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2012, 7:04 am

Programs: VS Silver, BA Blue - finally; but hotels.com Gold :)
Originally Posted by BA Executive Club
I was going to post this later today but the changes will take place for all Avios bookings.
Is the 8th Oct confirmed as per OP?

^ for providing a fair degree of advance notification, appreciated.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 7:09 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Indeed.....I wish the same could be said for WT award bookings. The cash element in those are pretty horrendous. I was looking at a routing yesterday and found there was more value to be had by booking a revenue ticket.

By spending an extra £150 I'd not only save myself 80,000 Avios but I'd earn 13,000 Avios and 95 tier points.
I suspect you weren't comparing like with like, was the cash ticket fully flexible?
However I realise many people don't need flexibility, or aren't prepared to pay for it, so perhaps what BA should introduce a non-flexible WT redemption, with much lower fees / no fuel surcharge?
Old Sep 10, 2012, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by britbronco22
I suspect you weren't comparing like with like, was the cash ticket fully flexible?
However I realise many people don't need flexibility, or aren't prepared to pay for it, so perhaps what BA should introduce a non-flexible WT redemption, with much lower fees / no fuel surcharge?
But as we all know, you can often need a HUGE degree of flexibility in trying to find an award seat whereas cheap cash fares are far more readily available.

I'd aslo suggest that some people on FT overvalue the flexible element of the fare - the vast majority of folk book a flight for a holiday (using whatever currency) and use it on those dates. Your proposal sounds sensible but would they discount the existing rate up increase for flexible tickets?

I'll admit I have cancelled award seats before but in most cases had this been a cash fare I would have just stuck with it.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 7:20 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
But as we all know, you can often need a HUGE degree of flexibility in trying to find an award seat whereas cheap cash fares are far more readily available.
Very route dependent and how early you book.

I know I am probably an anomaly but on every occasion I tried to find a reward seat (for UuA) on the date I wanted, I found one (or two or six, even nine - I only needed one)
Old Sep 10, 2012, 7:24 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA EXP
Originally Posted by littlefish
Is the 8th Oct confirmed as per OP?
Yes, according to the website:
https://www.avios.com/spend/cp/rewar...FS&pers=false/

It's very clear: "If you book before 8 October 2012, the fee is £27 in Economy Class and £34 in Business Class. After this date, our prices are rising by a small amount to £30 in Economy and £40 in Business."
Old Sep 10, 2012, 7:25 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, Le Club Accor Gold
I know when i travelled to the US at the end of June cash fares were around £1000 which i didn't have (and that was the inflexible tickets) so i sighed a little and used avios for Y, the person next to me on the flight (i say next she had window and middle seat was free) had also booked using Avios, flight wasn't too bad either
But i do know i've also spent plenty of time trying to explain to my parents and various friends the upsides of Avios and i'm not entirely sure they get it even now
Old Sep 10, 2012, 7:34 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fredandgingermad
But i do know i've also spent plenty of time trying to explain to my parents and various friends the upsides of Avios and i'm not entirely sure they get it even now
I heard some of those 'upper' class of people (still existed in UK btw) will never bother to sign up as they think it will make them loosing face if their circle of friends knew that they used 'free' tickets in premier classes...thus look cheapo...But hey, I have no complaint. Those people contribute most portion of the profit! I think Avios Rewards Saver is still a bargain but a little bit more expensive will kill the deal. I think the break point for me would be £45 for economy class before 2025 (consider inflation and varies taxes issues).
Old Sep 10, 2012, 7:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Swiss Tony

I'd aslo suggest that some people on FT overvalue the flexible element of the fare -
I agree......I suspect it's only a very small minority who take advantage of that flexibility especially in WT. Anyway.....once inside 24 hours before departure that benefit has gone anyway and I'd rather lose £500 than 80,000 Avios plus £350.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 8:04 am

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
I think Reward Flight Savers are still a fantastic deal.

To be honest I have always felt that the cash component was too low anyway, given the actual tax, fees and charges. (Now I prepare to be burnt at stake as a FT BAEC heretic )
What's worse - a BAEC Heretic or a BA Apologist?
Old Sep 10, 2012, 8:30 am

I think there should ideally be an option to pay the TFC with Avios.
M&M do this with their European flights.

I am not fussed about the cash components myself as I only tend to UuA but it will achieve two things: 1) people will complain less about the TFC, 2) reduce the Avios in circulation because people will be using Avios to pay for the TFC, increasing the award availability for those of us who earn quite a lot of them.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Originally Posted by BA Executive Club
*There will be no change to the current flat fee for Reward Flight Saver on eligible Comair flights in South Africa ...
Wow! A bargain, eh?

Well, up to a point. Our CPT-PLZ would have incurred 9,000 Avios and £42 flat fee per person in ET so we booked revenue flights. £42 is already higher than ET in Europe but at least it remains £42.

Must have something to do with APD not being relevant and stable-ish fuel prices.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by where2travel
It's very clear: "If you book before 8 October 2012, the fee is £27 in Economy Class and £34 in Business Class. After this date, our prices are rising by a small amount to £30 in Economy and £40 in Business."
What isn't so clear is that these numbers are for round-trip travel. That may underline the value that there is in RFS, if you're looking on a route on which there is availability.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 8:51 am

What are the chances that the short haul award flights for next August will be released on or after 8 october?
Old Sep 10, 2012, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by trvllvr123
What are the chances that the short haul award flights for next August will be released on or after 8 october?
Flights have already been released for some days for August 2013.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Flights have already been released for some days for August 2013.
There isn't a single flight showing out of NCL, unless I'm doing something wrong

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.