Gold Cards on Ebay

Old Sep 8, 12, 5:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL & CCR
Gold Cards on Ebay

Is this allowed do we think?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/British-Ai...ht_1123wt_1401
Old Sep 8, 12, 5:04 am

Why would BA object to a card using the old branding which expired 8 years ago, and won't be in the passenger name?
Old Sep 8, 12, 5:05 am

The card shown is not what is for sale, it is a sale of a partner gold account. Naughty seller. Reported to eBay
Old Sep 8, 12, 5:08 am

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
Sounds like a current partner card. Picture of old card for annonimity
Old Sep 8, 12, 5:09 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
21. British Airways right to terminate membership

21.1. In addition to any other rights or remedies it may have British Airways reserves the right at any time in its absolute discretion to terminate the Membership of any Member and/or (if applicable) the right of any Member to use the Card if a Member commits Fraud, Misconduct, is given a banning notice or withdraws their consent under Clause 4. British Airways must write to such Member stating their Membership is being terminated for this reason. British Airways may in its discretion suspend such termination and impose a reduction in tier grade and/or remove Avios Points and/or Tier Points and/or request undertakings in respect of future conduct.
I guess it comes under misconduct.

I feel a bit sad for the Ebayer, this seems a very extreme example of Johnny No Mates. S/he probably flies too much.
HighwayToHEL likes this.
Old Sep 8, 12, 5:10 am

Programs: BAEC
I don't how this could work, the seller is talking about it being valid from mid Oct this year in his T&Cs
Old Sep 8, 12, 5:10 am

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
oooh that is indeed very nawty !

not allowed by BA or Ebay me thinks !!!

This ebay seller seems to sell anything he/she gets his/her hands on from BA, washbags etc, Perhaps the seller should just register on flyertalk and see who they could "give" the gold membership away to

cs
Old Sep 8, 12, 5:26 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
I feel a bit sad for the Ebayer, this seems a very extreme example of Johnny No Mates. S/he probably flies too much.
You have summed up my thoughts perfectly!

It's sad. No mates at all, presumably, or just looking to make a quick buck. I wouldn't have bothered reporting it though, like the OP. I was never the snitch at school...
davm666 likes this.
Old Sep 8, 12, 5:44 am

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Aérienne du Réseau Courte Durée de British Airways
All BA have to do is put in the highest bid and then the sellers details get revealed to them.

Really silly thing to do as now the seller will probably loose their benifits themselves.
Old Sep 8, 12, 5:47 am

Originally Posted by Littlegirl View Post
Really silly thing to do as now the seller will probably loose their benifits themselves.
True, but if this person has flown enough with BA to generate the Gold Partner award card, you have to ask yourself if BA really want to take away all of his/her benefits - as they could, if not bound by a company travel policy, take their business elsewhere.

They might jut give him/her a slap on the wrist and tell him/her not to be a naughty boy / girl again...

I'm suprised another FT'er didn't get in their quick and just buy the damned thing. Then it would have been off ebay, BA wouldn't have been able to do much about it, and it's a damn sight cheaper than a TP run to the US. And don't forget, you'd not just be buying a gold card for 12 months, but a silver card for 12 months the year after too.

Thankfully, I am sitting on a gold companion voucher and will be using it in March next year...
Old Sep 8, 12, 5:58 am

Originally Posted by 747_not_777 View Post
You have summed up my thoughts perfectly!

It's sad.
Maybe. Alternatively could be a callous and selfish person who tries to sell the partner benefit for £300+ rather than giving it to a friend or family member. And they may additionally have landed the ultimate purchaser with buying a heap of cack for several hundred quid. Could even be a person who has not even generated such a benefit but is just making a fast buck. After all the feedback rating is a mere 5!

If he were snogging behind the bike shed, who cares. But I have no problem "snitching" on person who potentially preys on the unwary. Especially as he has a question pending from me and therefore has the option of pulling it him/her self.
Old Sep 8, 12, 5:58 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Speaking of Gold Partner Card I wish they offered an alternative. When the time comes for me to get one, it won't be much use for my husband as he doesn't fly without me often enough. I'd give him the Silver partner card for increased Avios when I get it but that's enough for the purpose.

Qantas offers a choice between 50,000 points (worth about 30,000 Avios ) or Gold Partner Card (OWS) or valet parking (no thanks) and that could be a good enhancement (genuine) to the programme and perhaps will stop this kind of behaviour reported in the OP too.
Old Sep 8, 12, 6:03 am

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia View Post
Speaking of Gold Partner Card I wish they offered an alternative. Not much use for my husband as he doesn't fly without me often enough. I'd give him the Silver partner card for increased Avios but that's enough for the purpose.
It doesn't have to be for your actual partner though. I mean, for a son or daughter, a sister or brother, a colleague who flies, a parent - perhaps to someone who only travels Y, a 'thank you' to your PA or even a supplier who supports you in what you do... Next-door neighbour etc... And hell, why not even to a friend on FlyerTalk (without remuneration, of course).

A bit like the term "Executive Club", the word "partner" is a bit too specific and doesn't suggest the wide variety of possible uses.

My first Silver card was as the result of a partner card from my Dad - it got me started a decade ago...
Old Sep 8, 12, 6:12 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by 747_not_777 View Post
It doesn't have to be for your actual partner though. I mean, for a son or daughter, a sister or brother, a colleague who flies, a parent - perhaps to someone who only travels Y, a 'thank you' to your PA or even a supplier who supports you in what you do... Next-door neighbour etc... And hell, why not even to a friend on FlyerTalk (without remuneration, of course).
I know I can. I would give it to some of my work colleagues but one hates BA (no idea why), the other one has just grounded herself to spend more time with her baby, others hardly fly, and I have no frequent flying relatives and have no kids. No point in giving it my mother because she wouldn't ever remember using it and I am not going to become her frequent flyer scheme police. I have enough difficulties doing that for my husband And those who can make use of the Gold status already have them.

I am not prepared to give it to those who I do not know well enough, because I consider myself being responsible for the behaviour of that person when using the card, so I have to explicitly trust that person to behave appropriately at all times when using the card (i.e. no loud talking on the mobile in the lounge or trying to scrounge entry into the lounge for more than the entitlement or being a DYKWIA in general! Ha ha). I wouldn't give it to randoms, in other words...

Saying that, doesn't giving someone a Silver partner card disqualifies you from earning a Gold partner card anyway?

Back to the issue of selling the gold card, what a cheap thing to do. I know earning a gold partner card doesn't mean the person is rich but surely they wouldn't be starving, yet they take the risk of losing their status and Avios and whatever? Avios you earn from flying every year would surely be worth far more than £300.

Seems like a bizarre behaviour. Therefore, I suspect it is a scam!

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Sep 8, 12 at 6:21 am
Old Sep 8, 12, 6:18 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by Littlegirl View Post
All BA have to do is put in the highest bid and then the sellers details get revealed to them.

That auction and ones like it are a scam.

Do we really think that someone who flies enough to qualify for that status would either need the 300 quid or bother?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: