Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gold Cards on Ebay

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2012, 7:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by frb98mf
If it's any help, I know a particularly strict auditor down at Revenue Protection
^
Old Sep 8, 2012, 9:16 pm

Programs: FT
Damn. I would have bid.
Old Jul 2, 2016, 4:31 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
I have been looking into this topic as I have upcoming GGL entry and will have no-one to give one Silver card to (my colleagues who regularly fly are already Silver or are coming to SIN and HKG with me so will earn Silver on their own; my Gold is going to my only other family member who flies; and one Silver is going to a friend who flies domestic US and would not get lounge access with AA status).
I checked BA T&Cs and it does not seem prohibited:

Code:
"Fraud"

includes fraud, dishonesty and deceit and in particular:

knowingly supplying incorrect information including at the time of booking to accrue Tier Points or Avios points;
attempting to accrue Tier Points or Avios points for Sectors which have not been flown or are not eligible for Tier Points or Avios points;
altering documents to procure Tier Points or Avios points;
attempting to accrue Tier Points or Avios points for Sectors flown by any person other than the Member;
using or attempting to use stolen or counterfeit tickets on British Airways' or Airline Partners' services;
attempting to accrue Tier Points or Avios Points more than once for the same Sector;
selling, bartering and/or purchasing Avios points or Rewards including attempting to sell or transfer Avios points or Rewards by means of internet based sales or auctions; or
knowingly benefiting from the Fraud or Misconduct of another Member or individual.

"Rewards"

means any flight ticket issued by, or other goods or services supplied by, or on behalf of British Airways upon redemption by a Member of an appropriate part of the Member's Mileage;
Would you suggest it would be ok to post on coupon connection to look for someone who needs Silver or should I just search among my wider colleague audience who flies little/none?
Old Jul 2, 2016, 4:43 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by nufnuf77
Would you suggest it would be ok to post on coupon connection to look for someone who needs Silver or should I just search among my wider colleague audience who flies little/none?
CC comes with its own rules, and clearly this is a relatively high value trade. I would send the mods over at CC a note asking for guidance as to whether or not they're aware of any restrictions that would prevent you posting this over there.
Old Jul 2, 2016, 5:04 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
CC comes with its own rules, and clearly this is a relatively high value trade. I would send the mods over at CC a note asking for guidance as to whether or not they're aware of any restrictions that would prevent you posting this over there.
Thanks NWIFlyer, will do that, though was wondering whether there is any more guidance on this from our friends here at BAEC forum
Old Jul 2, 2016, 5:25 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Vietnam Airlines Lotusmiles Platinum
Damn

I'd consider buying one at that value, as it is extremely unlikely I'd ever fly enough to get to gold myself the proper BIS way!

Of course if some kind FTer would donate I'd kindly accept that too 😄
Old Jul 2, 2016, 5:26 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR/LTG
I think silver cards get auctioned off at various do's for charity, perhaps that's something to consider?
Old Jul 2, 2016, 6:07 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by BA038_Passenger
I think silver cards get auctioned off at various do's for charity, perhaps that's something to consider?
Did not realise some do's have this part to it (though I recall chris1979 told me something about his second BA handbag being auctioned off). Do these DO auctions happen with some regularity?
Old Nov 17, 2017, 3:36 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/British-Air...0AAOSw43haB1t5

Sorry to resurrect an old thread (Mods I'm never quite sure what to do - didn't want to start a new thread but equally this is quite historic although the above discussion is still relevant IMHO).

BA Gold status upgrade on sale via ebay. *all* you need to do before buying is send your membership number and password...it might be genuine but with the risk of identity fraud and ever more sophisticated phising scams I personally wouldn't take the risk. Either it's a total scam or some very dodgy dealings going on risking account audit in any event. Interesting seller though - seems s/he can get you top tier status on any airline or hotel chain for very little money.

Call me cynical, but if it looks too good to be true, it probably is. In situations such as this I always think of a local radio show host Ed Doolan who back in the 90s had a consumer phone in show. He used to say to people "take a look in the mirror and ask yourself why anyone would give a face like that such a good deal".
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 4:26 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Why would BA sell status (especially at that price)? That does not pass my smell test...
missdimeaner likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 4:38 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Qatar Priviledge Club Plat
287 quid with free P&P along with the seller having a 98.4% positive feedback on his sales, maybe this could be real at first glance ! However when they mentioned they need frequent flyer number and password , then nah maybe not then. The seller also has many more FF tier "upgrades " to offer you ...

Anyone wanna go and buy it and let us know how it goes ?
Old Nov 17, 2017, 4:41 am
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
Handing over personal credentials? No thank you.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 4:42 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by Flame3601
287 quid with free P&P along with the seller having a 98.4% positive feedback on his sales, maybe this could be real at first glance ! However when they mentioned they need frequent flyer number and password , then nah maybe not then. The seller also has many more FF tier "upgrades " to offer you ...
Yes but look at the feedback, very few of them have a price on which could mean that the account has been prepared over a long period to build up a good profile using other accounts controlled by the seller. eBay rating system is fairly rudimentary.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 4:50 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by Flame3601

Anyone wanna go and buy it and let us know how it goes ?
Yep says they are a business seller, have 98% positive feedback and not a new member...I suspect (pure speculation) corporate travel departments for 'most valued corporate customers', and maybe corporate TAs, get to nominate a certain no of people for status (or I guess get given certain targeted promos like this - they say they need your details to verify you have15 transactions in last 12 months). When you google the name of the person behind the business you get a linkedin profile of a 'web developer', so something doesn't add up. Can't work out whether it's a pure scam or if you would get status (in which case presumably this would be a major fraud issue given he has allegedly sold numerous hilton plat upgrades per day / breach of corporate agreements). Either way, F wing is not worth losing Avios for or getting your identity stolen! If he's been on ebay for years then I'm surprised by the positive feedback / not banned - but maybe he's just sat there making fake transactions and giving fake feedback! Must be an easier way to make a living!!
Old Nov 17, 2017, 6:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Sure he will try to upgrade you...after he has emptied your account of points. Best to give him a brand new account with zero points and see how he can upgrade you...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.