Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Not Allowed to Charge iPad in CW seat!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2012, 5:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, Gulf Air Silver, Aegean Gold, M&M FQTV, Air Malta Diamond
In-seat power supply

Keep your electronic devices charged throughout the flight with your personal in-seat power supply compatible with a range of international plug types. (Sockets on some Boeing 767 aircraft may require an adaptor.)
My embolding.

Source: http://www.britishairways.com/travel...d/public/en_gb

Looks like the marketing folks need to talk to the ops folks.

The CSDs behaviour mandates a formal complaint. Asking one to remove a device is one thing, interfering with it is anther.

For all she knows, an iPad or computer may be compiling a report or updating a database and the potential current spike could corrupt the files.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 5:13 pm

AFAIK an iPad charger is rated at 10W maximum. The various laptop chargers in the Apple line-up are rated at 45W, 60W, and I think 85W. I think only the laptops are "smart" enough to disable charging if there is insufficient current to run the machine and charge the battery (in which case you'll see a "not charging" message next to your battery icon).

Easy way around this ridiculous incident is to plug a pair of headphones into the iPad and play music through them... not sure you really have to keep the headphones on the whole time, and I don't think it would slow charging either as there ought to be plenty of current available to support both.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by markzz2
I would not want a device sitting charging while the owner was walking around, or asleep, where a potential fire or smoke event might go unnoticed.
BA have for as long as I can remember said you cannot charge a device when not in use.

So last year at the BA open day when there were technical staff around I asked why thinking perhaps it was something to do with the quality of the power supply on board.

I was told that even though the risk was small it was due to the risk of over heating/fire while charging and their fear of much great chance of going un-noticed if the device was left on charge not in use/unattended.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 5:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, BA Amex PP, Virgin Gold
I think this is part of a wider issue where BA aircraft (and some crew) are behind the times when it comes to technology.

I think I will "raise it as an issue" and make particular referral to her indelicate methodology. I could have easily become an irate pax due to the way she behaved and spoke to me, which would have been a worse problem.

I am miffed because whenever I fly, I try to do everything I can to make the crew's lives easier - not making them repeat meal questions; being polite; stowing things without being asked etc.; taking things to the galley when I've finished (outside of the meal service) etc. When I get treated as an inconvenience as I was today, that sours the milk.

The service on my AA flight (still up at FL380) has been excellent, bar the food.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Does it work well, and how does it compare with microwave popcorns, and why do you no longer own one?

I have to tell you, although not quite a popcorn making machine, I sometimes feel like bringing my own portable vacuum cleaner on board...
I left it in the flat I was sharing with my siblings when I moved out and never saw it again. It uses hot air to make the corn pop so very healthy and if you like your popcorn it is a very good investment. I think they're available on Amazon for under Ł20, mine was a gift.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 5:34 pm
Gaz

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, UA Gold
Originally Posted by Final 3 Greens
My embolding.

Source: http://www.britishairways.com/travel...d/public/en_gb

Looks like the marketing folks need to talk to the ops folks.
The wording is a bit vague. If you use your device whilst it is plugged in, you do "keep it charged" as the charge you started with will not deplete
Old Sep 4, 2012, 5:37 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I used the in seat power to charge up my iPhone on BA flights, and on my flight to BLR there were a lot of people doing the same- I had never seen so many iPhones in one small cabin! It worked great- iPhone plugged in, placed through the gap above the laptop drawer handle, seat in flat, 4 hours later after a nice nap I wake up feeling refreshed with iPhone charged.

I have always found this to be a great feature especially when using an iPhone as the battery goes very quickly- never knew it was frowned upon...
Old Sep 4, 2012, 5:50 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by Jimmie76
I left it in the flat I was sharing with my siblings when I moved out and never saw it again. It uses hot air to make the corn pop so very healthy and if you like your popcorn it is a very good investment. I think they're available on Amazon for under Ł20, mine was a gift.
I quite fancy that, although I can imagine the crew would not be too amused if
I brought one on board and used it. You could probably sell some to ET passengers on non-food routes though Pity you left it behind
Old Sep 4, 2012, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
I quite fancy that, although I can imagine the crew would not be too amused if
I brought one on board and used it. You could probably sell some to ET passengers on non-food routes though Pity you left it behind
That one was rated a little higher than 70W (think it was over a kilowatt) so I have a sneaky suspicion that it wouldn't work even if you did. Now that I think about it my brother might have it, but might buy another one for my current house
Old Sep 4, 2012, 6:57 pm

Programs: BA, *A, Hertz Goldstar, Mucci wannabee, Waitrose, safari Oleg
Originally Posted by Thdw
Odd. Last time I sat in 64A, about two hours into the flight a staff member appeared with a Macbook Pro, explained that the plug at a seat in F wasn't working and asked if she could charge it from my seat. I agreed. About four hours later she reappeared, took the laptop and produced an iPhone, explaining that said customer now wished to charge that instead...
hmmm so the electrical setup in the plane can tell if the piece of equipment being charged belongs to a First Class, or to a Business, passenger?
Old Sep 4, 2012, 7:02 pm

Programs: BA, *A, Hertz Goldstar, Mucci wannabee, Waitrose, safari Oleg
You may not believe it but I used to own one of those.
Did it blow up when you plugged it in in CW without any popcorn in it, then?
Old Sep 4, 2012, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by h15t0r1an
Did it blow up when you plugged it in in CW without any popcorn in it, then?
No I didn't try and use it on a plane in CW as the non empower socket NGCW wasn't available when I had it. The fact that I do have a basic qualification in electrics and realise that that would have tripped the power protection module on the seat might also have come into it.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 10:46 pm

You may not believe it but I used to own one of those.
What do you mean: "used to"?
Old Sep 4, 2012, 11:00 pm

Programs: BA Gold GGL, Hilton Diamond, FB Grey, Amex MR, Trop Plus Gold
I once left my iPhone charger at home, foolishly, and of course it was running low on juice during the flight, when I saw the CC using their BApad. I asked if she didn't mind if I pinched the charger for a hour or two to charge my iPhone. No problem, came the reply, stuck the power brick in 62A and filled my shiny toy up with new electrons while I took a nap.

I have in the recent past asked OF pursers if I can have the EmPower iPad adaptor (only) to top up my phone during flight. Again, always been absolutely fine with it.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 11:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3.4MM, BAEC, UAMP, Skyteam (<10k) HH Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz Gold, GE/TSA TT
Originally Posted by Schultzois
AFAIK an iPad charger is rated at 10W maximum. The various laptop chargers in the Apple line-up are rated at 45W, 60W, and I think 85W. I think only the laptops are "smart" enough to disable charging if there is insufficient current to run the machine and charge the battery (in which case you'll see a "not charging" message next to your battery icon).

Easy way around this ridiculous incident is to plug a pair of headphones into the iPad and play music through them... not sure you really have to keep the headphones on the whole time, and I don't think it would slow charging either as there ought to be plenty of current available to support both.
I recently ran my 15" Macbook Pro all night while flying JNB-LHR in WT+ seat 29K... watched a couple of movies, then left it charging the last few hours. No problemo using my semi-custom Kensington universal AC-DC power supply (empower plug in this case) with spliced on magsafe cord.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.