Wiki Posts
Search

Confessions of the cabin crew...

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2012, 8:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: Ba gold, gha black
Smile Confessions of the cabin crew...

Thought people would like or naturally dislike this but i was talking with a couple of ba cabin crew off duty yesterday.. We got talking about difficult passengers. They said in 9 cases out of 10, the most difficult and loathed passengers are in club as they talk to cabin crew with poor manners... I heard some good stories that its quite common if the crew dont like you that they put eye drops in your food to start off a bowel reaction. Another good story was that a club passenger in club was so rude that when they ordered steak they wiped it on the galley floor then put their shoe on it before serving...So, the moral of the story is be nice at all times to the crew... Or else...
Old Sep 2, 2012, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
The moral of the story is that such people need to be fired and possibly prosecuted. If you can't stand unruly customers you need to find a different job.

Quite frankly I am not surprised. I have never fully 'trusted' BA crews and this story confirms stories I heard before. It certainly does not give me a 'warm feeling' like discussed in another thread.
Old Sep 2, 2012, 8:37 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Oh dear!, here we go on another (potentially) controversial thread. I'm sure the BA CC team will be along shortly to comment on this one. Hold onto your hats, I predict a hurricane soon
Old Sep 2, 2012, 8:42 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH M&M Member
This sounds remarkably like a recycled urban myth.

Snopes tends to agree;
http://www.snopes.com/medical/myths/visine.asp
Also
http://www.pprune.org/cabin-crew/343...eye-drops.html
Old Sep 2, 2012, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
I thought they did that in restaurants.
Highly doubt it happening with BA, as they are professionals. They'll get you by making you wait and wait and wait, then they come here and read your comments and have a laugh.
Old Sep 2, 2012, 8:44 am

Programs: BA GfL, Marriott PlatfL/Ambassador, TP Gold, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by henkybaby
The moral of the story is that such people need to be fired and possibly prosecuted. If you can't stand unruly customers you need to find a different job.
^^

Quite frankly I am not surprised. I have never fully 'trusted' BA crews and this story confirms stories I heard before. It certainly does not give me a 'warm feeling' like discussed in another thread.
I don't believe for one second that these stories are true, specially on BA. As someone said, these are 'recycled urban myths'. Nothing to see here.
Old Sep 2, 2012, 8:46 am

Programs: Mucci du Miel d'Or
I think the OP forgot that his serving was to be enjoyed with a bucket of salt...

I've heard the same tall tales replayed in relation to many airlines. In relation to BA crew, I really can't see them having the time or the energy to go to such trouble.
Old Sep 2, 2012, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mario
I don't believe for one second that these stories are true, specially on BA. As someone said, these are 'recycled urban myths'. Nothing to see here.
You can't have the best of British without also having the worst of it. Unfortunately that seems to include a certain way of dealing with problems. It is why most europeans will avoid any holiday destination that attracts too many British youngsters.

I know quite a few KL cabin crew. On occasion they will interact with various counterparts. The 'behaviour' and stories of the british cabin crews is legendary and to some appalling. But hey, very young people with too much time on their hands thinking they are the best thing since sliced bread. What do you expect? If you think I am talking out of my @rse, simply remember some of the behaviour during the strikes...
Old Sep 2, 2012, 8:48 am

Programs: BA EC Gold, bmi DC Gold, EI GC, TK M&S Elite, Aegean M&B Silver, HHonors Gold, Junior Jet Club
If certain people don't want to be in a customer service role, they should resign and move on. There was, I believe, some idiot who used eye drops in the flight crew's meal at an airline many years ago due to a disagreement - he was sent down under various aviation security laws for over a decade.

I don't think there are many idiots around doing such things these days, and certainly not at BA. Unless such people are looking to spend 10 years in prison, why would they do so...?
Old Sep 2, 2012, 8:55 am

You can't have the best of British without also having the worst of it.
How come? Unless you can explain your thinking, the statement is fatuous at best.
Old Sep 2, 2012, 8:55 am

I have to deal with customers on a daily basis.

The higher the expectations, the more likely the experience is to fall short of those expectations.

So Club passengers may well complain more often - they have higher expectations.

But as to how to deal with stroppy customers: well, I deal with them VERY well. Exceptionally well. I fawn over them. Their every wish - plus many that they haven't thought of, but others like them did think of - is catered to.

Sometimes, they can then find this embarassing! Then they shut up. Tahnk goodness.

Otherwise, you just get even more hassle afterwards. And life is just too short to deal with complaints that move up the line.

If they do move up the line, the fact that one can point to exceptional fawning keeps the heat off!

ps. I am not cabin crew

pps. I do, still, come up with ways that I would get my revenge. It is how humans cope. And they are far, far, more inventive than what has been mentioned. I might chat about them to colleagues and pals, but would never actually do them.
Old Sep 2, 2012, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dan72
How come? Unless you can explain your thinking, the statement is fatuous at best.
Because no HR selection process is flawless and besides, cabin crew is not a position that is as glamorous as it once was so I think BA can't be too strict in its selection process. Also you don't attract too many Etonians.
Old Sep 2, 2012, 9:02 am

Programs: BA Silver, HHonours Gold, Mucci of Pucci, Oyster Card, Nectar Card, Father's Day Card
Originally Posted by copenhagenBA
Thought people would like or naturally dislike this but i was talking with a couple of ba cabin crew off duty yesterday.. We got talking about difficult passengers. They said in 9 cases out of 10, the most difficult and loathed passengers are in club as they talk to cabin crew with poor manners... I heard some good stories that its quite common if the crew dont like you that they put eye drops in your food to start off a bowel reaction. Another good story was that a club passenger in club was so rude that when they ordered steak they wiped it on the galley floor then put their shoe on it before serving...So, the moral of the story is be nice at all times to the crew... Or else...
The eye drops story is urban myth isn't it? It was used in a book called Airline Babylon - and has probably made the transition from fiction to imagined fact.
Old Sep 2, 2012, 9:03 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH D, Rad Plat
Can we get a popcorn emoticon please?

Or something like this:

Rotating Beacon Warning Video

I can understand that some Club passengers may be the worst to deal with due to an overinflated sense of entitlement but such measures are unacceptable.

Old Sep 2, 2012, 9:06 am

Because no HR selection process is flawless and besides, cabin crew is not a position that is as glamorous as it once was so I guess BA can't be too strict in its selection process. Also you don't attract too many Etonians, I guess.
That's true about HR, but it's so self-evident I wonder why you thought it worth mentioning. Plus it goes no way to answer your claim around the inevitability of BA also recruiting the worst.

I don't understand the point about Etonians. Do BA prefer Harrovians?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.