OT: A good Travel Insurance

Old Sep 2, 12, 10:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL; SPG Plat; HH Diamond

I recently cancelled my AMEX Platinum due to the rise in yearly fee from 300 to 450.

I always relied on the AMEX for travel insurance. Now that's gone, I am looking for a good reliable insurer - i'm not particularly looking for a cheap policy and happy to pay a premium so that i'm fully covered in any eventuality.

I travel to third world countries, so all aspects are quite important! Medical, travel delays, luggage etc.

Your thoughts please....
Old Sep 2, 12, 10:24 am

Programs: BA Silver, BA AmexPremPlus, AmexGoldMR, Oyster card
I have never actually claimed on my travel insurance, however changed providers when the volcano in Iceland erupted a few years ago.

I switched to M&S insurance as they were one of the few travel insurance companies who covered losses due to this event (a quick internet search shows that HSBC and First Direct also did).
Old Sep 2, 12, 10:37 am

Hi arir,

My mother, recently, upgraded her Barclays account to one that includes worldwide travel insurance, cover for electronic devices and even airport lounge access - among other perks - for about 13.50 extra a month (off the top of my head).

I've just returned from a family holiday to India and Dubai and we were able to access the superb No.1 Traveller Lounge at Heathrow T3, the Marhaba Lounge at Dubai Intl and the Celebrations Lounge in Mumbai, through the airport angel scheme.

I recommend having a look at this as I think it's what you're after and offers excellent value for money.

Hope this helps.
Old Sep 2, 12, 10:43 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
C-W-S has recommended the John Lewis travel insurance with independent traveller cover. Although I have had no need to make a claim on it (highly unusual for me not to have a bag delayed or flight cancelled for a while! ), I am very happy with the cover it is offering. Note that this is only available to UK-based people.

I also have a Bag Guard cover from IAPA as well their insurance (IAPA Care Plus) as the cover for baggage is to a higher amount (€7,500 to be precise). This cover is available to those based in Europe and some outside Europe as well.
Old Sep 2, 12, 11:00 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia View Post
C-W-S has recommended the John Lewis travel insurance with independent traveller cover. Although I have had no need to make a claim on it (highly unusual for me not to have a bag delayed or flight cancelled for a while! ), I am very happy with the cover it is offering. Note that this is only available to UK-based people.
I'm getting highly suspicious of this too, since I've never needed to make a claim either. Its chief advantage is that it is relatively generous in terms of getting you home - most policies are OK about getting you out on holiday, but less bothered about getting you back again. 50 a day delayed flight payment isn't much good if you really need to be back at work the next day.

[In the interest of disclosure: I am a supplier to Waitrose, which is owned by the staff of the John Lewis Partnership].

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; Sep 2, 12 at 11:16 am Reason: Disclosure
Old Sep 2, 12, 11:06 am

Programs: Marriott + Hilton. Fly BA and AZ

Only 450£!!! in Italy now its 700€!!!! You should count yrself lucky!!!
Old Sep 2, 12, 11:12 am

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; TG ROP Silver; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1
I have a First Directory Account with First Direct. If you have a joint account for you and your partner you get cover for both of you for 12 a month. When we had to cancel trips due to my wife's cancer they paid out without quibble in less than 2 weeks.
Old Sep 2, 12, 11:18 am

A key component of the Amex insurance for me is the car hire cover. It's a lot of days in the year and a big saving for me. Anyone have a view on a competitor?

With insurance, I feel happier dealing with an established name and paying more than the cheapest. Having Amex has always given me a sense of security, rightly or wrongly.

And this 450 thing: is this for realz? And existing customers, too? Not just new entrants? I've had my Platinum for 9 years.
Old Sep 2, 12, 11:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL; SPG Plat; HH Diamond
Thanks for all the advice.

Originally Posted by knifeandfork View Post
A key component of the Amex insurance for me is the car hire cover. It's a lot of days in the year and a big saving for me. Anyone have a view on a competitor?

With insurance, I feel happier dealing with an established name and paying more than the cheapest. Having Amex has always given me a sense of security, rightly or wrongly.

And this 450 thing: is this for realz? And existing customers, too? Not just new entrants? I've had my Platinum for 9 years.
I too valued the car rental cover and together with the travel insurance, these were the two main benefits for me. But 450 is for real and i just don't think these benefits save me that much every year.

I already pay 150 for a BA AMEX as well as 75 for an SPG AMEX..... You'd think that AMEX would cap their collective fees for regular customers.
Old Sep 2, 12, 12:39 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver. Tracking for TP run.
Originally Posted by Pandor View Post
Hi arir,

My mother, recently, upgraded her Barclays account to one that includes worldwide travel insurance, cover for electronic devices and even airport lounge access - among other perks - for about 13.50 extra a month (off the top of my head).

I've just returned from a family holiday to India and Dubai and we were able to access the superb No.1 Traveller Lounge at Heathrow T3, the Marhaba Lounge at Dubai Intl and the Celebrations Lounge in Mumbai, through the airport angel scheme.

I recommend having a look at this as I think it's what you're after and offers excellent value for money.

Hope this helps.
What a bargain! Of course this Barclays account would meet these needs. I, for one, would love these perks. However, IMO perhaps one should also consider how these fringe benefits may be funded.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/bu...s-8100011.html
Old Sep 2, 12, 2:04 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
I consider this every year around this time as my renewal is this month. I'm sticking with Amex.... again.
Old Sep 2, 12, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Silver)
I've got the LloydsTSB Gold Account, although I don't pay 12.95 for it as I've got grandfathered rights and I just have to keep a certain amount of money in the account (Yes I know this isn't the best value, but it's handy not to have to worry about getting or remembering to get insurance). The insurance hasn't been that bad actually as when I did have to make a claim after fracturing my wrist on holiday they paid up quickly for all the bills and without any quibbling.
Old Sep 2, 12, 5:28 pm

Programs: BA/AA/UA
An additional data point you may find useful and informative

Travel insurance claims can hinge on the tiniest details
Old Sep 2, 12, 5:49 pm

Programs: BA, VS, Le Club Accor Gold
That article seems a bit odd, i've not seen travel insurance that asks for travel costs before.. I've currently got an annual policy with Insureandgo although would like to find someone new for next time as they only have a UK phone number (can get very expensive) I've had to claim with them twice and last year especially they were good, especially when my daughter's medical bills ran rather higher than i was expecting
Old Sep 2, 12, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Silver)
Someone once told me that insurers are in the business of looking for a reason not to have to pay out. Not saying that's true or not jut saying.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: