Mobile Boarding Passes

Old Aug 31, 2012, 1:02 am
Suspended

Programs: Mucci, BAEC (Silver), FlyBe
Originally Posted by nizolidas:19221867
Would be great if British Airways made an iPad app like Lufthansa, American Airlines and some others have.
It does occur to me that those who try to use their tablets as BPs have fallen into that trap of trying to crowbar their toy into every last corner of their life ... whether it makes sense to do so or not.

It reminds me of those who take pictures on their tablets, combining the poorer image quality of a mobile device with the lack of portability compared to a 'camera'.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by dark_horse
It does occur to me that those who try to use their tablets as BPs have fallen into that trap of trying to crowbar their toy into every last corner of their life ... whether it makes sense to do so or not.
Quite!
Old Aug 31, 2012, 8:44 am

Programs: BA GfL, Marriott PlatfL/Ambassador, TP Gold, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by raikje
"look at the size of that!"
I know what you mean, I get that all the time.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 5:48 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Just was wondering, if the BA App will become Passbook support for iOS 6. What do you think?
Old Sep 19, 2012, 6:03 pm
DVT

Programs: BA Bronze
Originally Posted by teiring
Just was wondering, if the BA App will become Passbook support for iOS 6. What do you think?
Expect it.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 5:29 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Littlegirl
As crew we don't need to touch your phone at all.

The only time we need you to scroll the screen up, is when you are using some blackberries, as sometimes the date is not visible. When we check boarding cards we are required to check both the flight number and the date.
I was told when boarding a BA flight yesterday that the mobile BP has to have the BA flight number on it (for it to be "legal"). As my ticket was bought through AA, the BP only had an AA code. It's never been a problem before.

Is this a new requirement? (In which case the app needs tweaking!)
Old Sep 23, 2012, 5:46 am

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by buouxboy
I was told when boarding a BA flight yesterday that the mobile BP has to have the BA flight number on it (for it to be "legal"). As my ticket was bought through AA, the BP only had an AA code. It's never been a problem before.

Is this a new requirement? (In which case the app needs tweaking!)
A paper BP would show the BA flight number with an extra line that is ticketed as the AA flight number.

I suspect the crew did not know the associated code share flight numbers. Flights do carry more than one flight numbers these days. The problem is that they have to check the flight number (especially after that fiasco in Manchester) but no one told them the codeshare flight details. The gate agent accepted the mobile BP.

The correct response from the flight crew is that "they need to check the relevant code-share flight number" but that is the training issue that is lacking or the app needs tweaking.

Quiet a few cabin crew now insist on scrolling down on the mobile BP as well to scan that it is a valid BP. Not entirely sure what data field they are look for.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 7:11 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH FTL, KL/AF Ivory
The TSA scanner at SAN wasn't able to read the boarding pass on the BA app. Had to go back to the checkin desk and get a paper one. The scanner at the BA desk couldn't read it either. The kind lady asked whether I needed a paper pass for my connecting flight from LHR and I explained that the BA app and scanners worked correctly at LHR (which they did).
Old Sep 23, 2012, 9:15 am

Last edited by angatol; Mar 1, 2015 at 12:44 am
Old Sep 23, 2012, 10:46 am

Programs: BA gold, *A gold, SPG silver, HHonors gold
Originally Posted by KenJohn
Quiet a few cabin crew now insist on scrolling down on the mobile BP as well to scan that it is a valid BP. Not entirely sure what data field they are look for.
Originally Posted by angatol
I think they're just checking that it scrolls, i.e. it's not a photo or static image.
Someone from BA recently confirmed here that this is NOT required because what's important is the barcode. Apparently the scrolling is a superstition that has spread like wildfire among ground staff!
Old Sep 23, 2012, 3:48 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club
I had my BP on the blackberry a few times and it does cause a bit of confusion as it isn't a touch screen model and it is far from responsive when scrolling with the track ball.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 3:45 am

Programs: BA
I find the BlackBerry app sometimes renders the barcode image incorrectly, with the square in the middle off-centre. This means it will fail to scan. In this case, re-downloading the boarding pass fixes the problem.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 4:43 am

Programs: BA bronze card, NHS Blood Donor silver card
I still find using a mobile BP as a bit of a novelty - as do cabin crew occasionally, particularly when my girlfriend and I both turn up toting them. They're quite handy too when travelling with hand baggage only and I'm in a hurry, particularly since I don't have any access to a printer at home.

The downside is my phone's atrocious battery life, which rarely lasts the day if I try to actually use it - on more than one occasion, I've had to go to a desk at the airport to get a paper boarding pass a backup.

(I'm not a great fan of printing my own boarding pass though - a bit of A4 doesn't look anywhere near as classy )
Old Sep 24, 2012, 4:51 am

Last edited by angatol; Feb 28, 2015 at 10:32 pm
Old Sep 24, 2012, 4:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by angatol
(Wiping up coffee now ...)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.