Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Pesticide spraying in cabin - health risks and a bs justification?

Pesticide spraying in cabin - health risks and a bs justification?

Old Aug 27, 2012, 9:20 am

We did this routinely in the 70:s ~ out of LUX and and sprayed on arrival in NAS. Same on the return.

The cannisters were small and we sprayed towards the ceiling. It was mostly for show. Pax never questioned it.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 9:32 am

Programs: BA Gold
How many Avios would I get if the spray accidentally made me cough once? And if I coughed twice, my eyes watered AND I was sitting in First, would I be entitled to GGL status for life and 50k Avios? Just asking...
Old Aug 27, 2012, 9:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC, AAdvantage, Untied, US Airways, Skypesos, Hyatt, Marriott, Hilton, Priority Club.
Originally Posted by itsmeitisss
All I can say is

How someone can get so worked up by something so trivial is beyond me, but as they say, it takes all sorts.
For what it's worth, it's not something that necessarily got me "worked up."

However, it was curious to find that BA specified that they were mandated to do so by the WHO, where I thought this was mostly done either because of carrier preference as in Air France in Lome, or because of the arriving country's regs(as in India, Australia, and the Caribbean states). This hadn't ever happened to me from Honkers flying other airlines, nor did it happen when I was flying on other airlines out of PVG or PEK.

If the spraying was actually mandated by the WHO(and not merely used by BA as a convenient smokescreen), you'd think the same standards would apply to other airlines flying those routes, which didn't occur, in my experience. So, are China Eastern and Air China not following WHO regs and BA is? or are there not really these kinds of requirements? or some sort of other, third option?
Old Aug 27, 2012, 10:17 am

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Aérienne du Réseau Courte Durée de British Airways
Yes, it is a World Health Orginisation directive up held by the UK Port Health Authority.

The SCCM has to retain the aerosol canisters and drop them into the Port Health Office at LHR just before arrivals.

It is to prevent the spread of diseases that are spread by mosquitos, such as Maleria, Dengue Fever and varrious other unpleasant diseases. We generally have to do it if an aircraft has come from an area of the world where there is Maleria present.

Another country where spraying is done if an aircraft has come from a Malaria area like Asia, for example, is Australia. Into Australia we have to spray our aircraft too.

I expect there are other countries where this is required but I don't have a list.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 10:22 am

So, are China Eastern and Air China not following WHO regs and BA is? or are there not really these kinds of requirements? or some sort of other, third option?
If Chinese airlines aren't doing it then yes they are breaking the rules. It is mandated by the WHO via the international health regulations. WHO - Aircraft disintsection Countries apply the mandate as they wish and the UK require that the used bottles are handed over to port health as proof, which makes me think the Chinese airlines do do it most of the time.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 10:34 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by jerumagrinberga
If the spraying was actually mandated by the WHO(and not merely used by BA as a convenient smokescreen)...
A new conspiracy theory surfaces.

You're in danger of appearing 'worked up' about this now.
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 10:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC, AAdvantage, Untied, US Airways, Skypesos, Hyatt, Marriott, Hilton, Priority Club.
Originally Posted by Jumbodriver
If Chinese airlines aren't doing it then yes they are breaking the rules. It is mandated by the WHO via the international health regulations. WHO - Aircraft disintsection Countries apply the mandate as they wish and the UK require that the used bottles are handed over to port health as proof, which makes me think the Chinese airlines do do it most of the time.
Thanks for the link Jumbodriver. Reading the page, it seems that there is some sort of link between international health regs and a particular country's requirements.

I would not be at all surprised to hear that Air China and China Eastern aren't following regs. China Eastern, is after all, an airline where the pilot decided to continue on to China after a tailstrike in London.

If these are regs, and there is a valid and important purpose behind them, then the UK government should take steps to enforce their implementation; though I realize it is much easier for the UK to require something of BA than it is of foreign airlines, especially from China.

Another aspect that I hadn't considered is that if this spray weren't safe, the cabin crew member walking around with it would have a wonderful case against BA, and, given that we haven't heard of such disputes, it seems there may not be a basis for them to arise.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 11:12 am

Programs: BA Gold. Kangorucci. NZGE.KLM Gold. VS gold
It was always the case on NZ that on arrival in Akl the aircraft was sprayed by staff but over the last 10-15 years the insecticide is automatically released into the air con system before arrival so you are not aware it is happening. So just because you don't see staff with cans does not mean the aircraft is not sprayed.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
I've had it on TG BKK-LHR and a couple of times on BEY-LHR, but quite rarely. I wonder if that is because the crew confuses the flight with the KRT-BEY-LHR?
Old Aug 27, 2012, 12:21 pm

Programs: BAEC, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Gold Passport, Tesco clubcard!
It is not necessarily a UK govenrment requirement to stop tropical insects and diseases getting into the UK but its a World Health organisation rquirement.

It has to be done once everyone is onboard as the insects may also be on passengers.

The empty canisters have to be dropped off at Port Health in the UK border / immigration area by the crew.

The departing flights that are sprayed are usually high risk or tropical countries such as Africa, Asia and Australia.

It is apparently not harmful to passengers.... just the insects

Official line from BA

Spraying the cabin
We are required by the World Health Organisation (WHO) to spray the aircraft cabin into certain destinations to prevent the risk of insects spreading highly dangerous disease, such as malaria and dengue fever.

On routes where we are required to spray, cabin crew will read out a brief statement advising you that spraying is about to take place. This will give you the opportunity to cover your eyes and nose if you wish.

The spray clears from the aircraft in a few minutes.

http://www.britishairways.com/travel...o/public/en_us

Contents of the insecticides
The sprays contain synthetic pyrethroids, which are widely used in sanitation products.

The WHO assesses the safety of insecticides and recommends the use of the following synthetic pyrethroids:

•D-phenothrin, which has lethal effects on domestic insect pests. It is used against mosquitoes, houseflies and cockroaches.
•Permethrin, which is a broad spectrum insecticide used against a variety of pests.
N.B. Aircraft entering Australia and New Zealand need to be sprayed twice - initially with Permethrin residual insecticide and then with a Phenothrin spray.

Spraying the cabin is mandatory for the following routes:

BA Flights arriving into the UK which require disinsection
Country Flights departing from:
Algeria Algiers
Angola Luanda
Argentina Buenos Aires
Bahamas Nassau
Brazil Rio de Janeiro, Sao Paulo
China Beijing, Hong Kong, Shanghai
Egypt Cairo
Ghana Accra
India Bangalore, Chennai, Delhi, Hyderabad, Mumbai
Jamaica Kingston
Kenya Nairobi
Mexico Cancun, Mexico City
Nigeria Abuja, Lagos
Oman Muscat
Saudi Arabia Riyadh, Jeddah
South Africa Cape Town, Johannesburg
Thailand Bangkok
Uganda Entebbe
United Republic of Tanzania Dar Es Salaam
Zambia Lusaka

BA Flights departing from the UK which require disinsection
Flights to: Flights arriving at:
Barbados Barbados
India Bangalore, Chennai, Delhi, Hyderabad, Mumbai
Jamaica Kingston
Kenya Nairobi

Last edited by lhrworker; Aug 27, 2012 at 12:29 pm
Old Aug 27, 2012, 12:31 pm

Programs: Meow Mix
Originally Posted by OverThereTooMuch
That's insane. Why don't they spray right after they finish "cleaning" the cabin, before the passengers are onboard? Significantly safer for all involved. And a good reminder why you should wipe down every surface in the plane before using it.
I had this done one some flights especially from DXB / CPT. My logic would be that the passengers themselves (pockets / shoes) might be a vector for such pests? Otherwise I am sure they would do this after cleaning.

But I am not entirely sure that spraying would kill them unless you get to squash them

/AE
Old Aug 27, 2012, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Very informative - thank you.

I'm a little puzzled by the outbound disinsection, though. I didn't think UK had many of that sort of pest anyway … or are the destinations worrying about over-crowding?

And why KIN and not MBJ?
Serious question, BTW, not that I expect you to know the reason why.

Originally Posted by lhrworker

BA Flights departing from the UK which require disinsection
Flights to: Flights arriving at:
Barbados: Barbados
India: Bangalore, Chennai, Delhi, Hyderabad, Mumbai
Jamaica: Kingston
Kenya: Nairobi
Old Aug 27, 2012, 12:40 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott Platinum, HHonors Diamond
I asked the same further up the thread. No issue with it at all, but since my trip to India (BLR) earlier in the year have been curious as to what insect carried disease we're likely to export to those places!
Old Aug 27, 2012, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by T8191

I'm a little puzzled by the outbound disinsection, though. I didn't think UK had many of that sort of pest anyway … or are the destinations worrying about over-crowding?
To be fair I think it's about the spread and introduction of non-indigenous species. So an insect which is almost harmless and totally in balance in, say, the UK may be very destructive on a small tropical island (for example).
Old Aug 27, 2012, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by ColdWalker
To be fair I think it's about the spread and introduction of non-indigenous species. So an insect which is almost harmless and totally in balance in, say, the UK may be very destructive on a small tropical island (for example).
OK, I'm being serious now … why Kingston and not Montego Bay?
Or is this list so up-to-date it recognises that BA have dropped the MBJ route, leaving it to VS?
No, it can't be that … this a WHO list, not a BA one.

T8191
"Puzzled of Offshore"

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.