Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Where is your happy place? (A collection of inspirational travel ideas from FT’ers)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where is your happy place? (A collection of inspirational travel ideas from FT’ers)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2012, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Now... This make take some of your by surprise...

For me... San Francisco.

Since my first visit in 2002, I have been hooked. I don't know what it is about the city, but there is something that keeps pulling me back there, and the instant I set foot in the city, I feel at ease. I feel relaxed and "at home".

I remember on of my trips there was in a September on year, with warm early autumn sunshine, sat on the little beach at Aquatic Park, where the cable car turnaround is at the end of Hyde Street. Hardly a soul in sight. Immersed in my own little world and as happy as larry.

I remember, after working at the tube bombings in London, I had a little bit of trouble sleeping, and was sent to see someone by the emergency service I worked for at the time. The amazing lady who I was very lucky to see asked me to find a place, any place in the world that made me feel happy, safe, content... And that little beach was my place.

Old Aug 25, 2012, 11:39 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold
Having lived in Utah for 6 years I am so glad there are others who appreciate the beauty and splendor of Southern Utah. Truly a sight to behold.

-I miss the Home Counties, the beautiful English countryside and English pubs and food!
-Now we are spoiled in California, Torrey Pines/La Jolla, Mammoth, Lake Tahoe, The Bay area.
-I should add Camps Bay as breathtaking.
-As many have mentioned, my happy place is wherever I am with my family and extended family, which takes us to England, Utah and Argentina every year and with traveling so much I appreciate this more and more as time goes on.

Great thread, thanks for starting. Despie the nostalgia I feel for all these places I realize just how lucky and blessed I truly am.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
For me, it would be Salina Island. Nearby, easy to get to, not too many people or cars.... Of course with my kids, but I would throw them to the sharks when they start bickering.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 11:59 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Living in a tiny hamlet in the countryside of Galloway, home is a happy place for me.

However I'm also an avid birder and the Rio Grande Valley (nearest airport, MFE - McAllen) is my personal happy place. Sad, aren't I?
Old Aug 25, 2012, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
If anyone has a good suggestion within a 4 hr drive of Toulouse... ^^^

I need a change of scenery but I don't want to fly. (Yes, I know, ban me... )
Old Aug 25, 2012, 12:04 pm

Programs: BA Gold
1. Jose Ignacio, Uruguay. Walk on the beach, long lunch at Las Huellas, snooze, walk on the beach, back to Las Huellas for dinner.

2. The hill country/tea plantations in Sri Lanka or Kerela.

3. London. I can never be bored.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 12:13 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Diamond + Ambassador, Accor Gold, Avis President's Club, Heathrow Rewards
Originally Posted by henkybaby
If anyone has a good suggestion within a 4 hr drive of Toulouse... ^^^
The Loire, with its many castles is beautiful and just about within that distance.

My favourite castles are Chenonceaux, Blois, Chambord. The gardens of Villandry are amazing too. And Fontevraud is worth a visit as well.

And of course Da Vinci's last residence, now museum, Le Clos Lucé in Amboise:
Old Aug 26, 2012, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
I found a pretty nice collection of 'happy places'. Been to a few. Far too few.

http://pinterest.com/alexaspinboard/le-grand-voyage/
Old Aug 26, 2012, 4:41 pm

I've been incredibly lucky to visit some amazing locations but I'd have add my vote to Palau, which (to date) is my very favourite place in the world.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 5:37 pm

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Silver, Scandic 3rd Floor, PC Pleb, FB Off White, Tufty Club
Before last week, I would have probably said Bamburgh, in Northumberland, but after time spent in Cornwall I would change my choice to Polperro. I fell in love with the place last Monday.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 6:01 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Originally Posted by FenLandK
Before last week, I would have probably said Bamburgh, in Northumberland, but after time spent in Cornwall I would change my choice to Polperro. I fell in love with the place last Monday.
I fell in love with this Bamberg and it's Rauchbier

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-OonofZ_xfU.../Bamberg-2.jpg
Old Aug 26, 2012, 6:02 pm

Programs: Hilton diamond, BA GCH
Originally Posted by leavingonajetplane
For me, there's no place like home.
I am trying hard reconciling your favourite place with your name.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 6:04 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Originally Posted by chimambu
I am trying hard reconciling your favourite place with your name.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 7:43 am

Programs: Back down to BA Blue
Originally Posted by lorcancoyle
That reminds me, need to work out where I go at Easter - have my flights to SYD booked on OZ (my penultimate DC redemption), Rarotonga is calling
Jumping in very late after spotting this thread on TalkMail - I was in Rarotonga & Aitutaki for Christmas last year and highly recommend both - though Aitutaki is far better for escaping the hordes and really kicking back Can't wait to rack up enough points to get back.
Please drop me a PM if you want to know any more
Old Oct 9, 2012, 8:25 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
Somewhere in the savannah down in Africa.

Could be Etosha or Imfolozi, into Kruger or Masai Mara, but please let me soak in that athmosphere, in that environment, in that smells . . .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.