Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Where is your happy place? (A collection of inspirational travel ideas from FT’ers)

Where is your happy place? (A collection of inspirational travel ideas from FT’ers)

Old Aug 24, 12, 7:26 pm

Programs: MUCCI, BA LTG/GGL/CCR, AF Club 2000
At home on the farm on the banks of the Dordogne in France with my wife and son. The water is pristine, the cliffs are stunning and the food and wine incomparable. It's the land of our human ancestors and my more direct ancestors!

I have been around the world countless times and seen enough paradise islands, beaches, great cities, crack dens, brothels, extraordinary hotels, restaurants, nightclubs, museums, art galleries, rainforests, deserts, glaciers, undersea worlds and mountain peaks to last a lifetime.

I also love spending time at my place in central London, but that is a definite second to home in France.
Old Aug 24, 12, 7:29 pm

Location: Tokyo, Hong Kong & Barcelona (not in order of preference)
Programs: BA Gold, SPG Plat, LH SEN
Formentera. With my wife and daughter. Which is where I will be in approx. 30 hours which includes my CW seat NRTLHRBCN departing in a short while.
Old Aug 24, 12, 8:53 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Gold.
Originally Posted by HIDDY View Post
The West Highland Line.

Hiddy,

Now you are talking, I assume the pictures were taken within an hour or so of each other.

My warm feeeling comes from the back bowls at Vail which are marginally better than the icy slopes of Cairngorm. I understand for both of these destinations direct Flts are providfed by BA from LHR followed by a short drive.

Awaiting a flt home from a very flat YUL

regards

Aero Safety
Old Aug 24, 12, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC/IB
Originally Posted by Aero_Safety View Post
Awaiting a flt home from a very flat YUL
Yes both were taken on a typical Easter holiday weekend in Scotland.

The pampas are as flat as a flippin' pancake for thousands of square miles around.....a bit boring to be honest. Great for cycling but not much fun for a hillwalker.
Old Aug 24, 12, 9:16 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Loved going to Moab to mountain bike for years but my 2 favourite places are the Kananaskis Valley in the front range Canadian Rockies and a Munich biergarten on a beautiful sunny day.
Old Aug 24, 12, 11:59 pm

On a small boat, anywhere. But for true bliss on a boat off Anguilla holding a hand fishing line in one with a cold beer in the other. http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_j8dEXcfxbO...a_%20boats.jpg
Old Aug 25, 12, 12:58 am

Programs: BAEC, SAS EBS, Miles&More
NW Argentina and across the border to the Atacama desert in Chile. BA to EZE and then LAN to Salta. From Salta you can do short breaks in just about every direction with amazing mountain pass type scenery to drive through wherever you choose. Cafayate has vineyards and a lovely laid back feel. The drive to Purmamarca has beautiful scenery including the seven colours hill. For remoteness you can go west to Chile. More stunning scenery, ridiculously twisting roads and gradients, geysers and volcanoes once you cross the border. Salta also had some of the most luxurious B and Bs that I've ever stayed at. One had a two room suite on the back of an upmarket patisserie. There was cake on arrival and a packed lunch of more cake for the very early departure to Chile.
Old Aug 25, 12, 6:46 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Spire Ambassador, Accor Gold, Avis Preferred, Heathrow Rewards
OK, well I guess I should post some pics of a few favourite places too.

Sydney, Circular Quay. I love the buzz of this place:

Sydney again, seen from the ferry to Taronga zoo:

This is why it's called the Great Ocean Road - I love driving along it with the roof down:

My refuge on Crete - view from the breakfast table:
Old Aug 25, 12, 7:02 am

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
My happy place is Sitges, about a 20 min drive south of Barcelona. Great traditional and contemporary restaurants, good bars, beach, sea, promenade and very easy flight from London. Love to just spend the weekends there to get away from it all - and a source of many a TP run.
Old Aug 25, 12, 7:53 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
I have a long list but if I had to pick one it would the Circular Head region of Tasmania, especially Marrawah - huge area with only a few 100 people and some of the most spectacular coastal scenery in the world.
Old Aug 25, 12, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Originally Posted by MNManInKen View Post
OK, well I guess I should post some pics of a few favourite places too.

Sydney, Circular Quay. I love the buzz of this place:
Oh yes. I want to add that one too. If only it was a little closer...
Old Aug 25, 12, 8:22 am

Programs: BA GGL (98% to Lifetime Gold), SPG convert from IHG (and Marriott fan now!)
South Pacific itinerant

I'm a fan of a couple of places like Swanhunter's. Spent some really great holidays in Tonga and Micronesia in recent years

Uoleva island, Ha'apai, Tonga - AY to SYD (SIN - SYD was BA metal of course!), LAN to AKL, NZ to Nuku'alofa and Chathams Pacific to Ha'apai (sadly didn't get their DC3 flight) and speedboat to Uoleva. Can get completely away from the rest of the world, spend the days swimming with whales, taking walks around the island (flat, sandy with lots of palm trees), reading and chatting to small number of fellow guests. Need to be ok with lack of creature comforts - minimal electricity (can charge camera batteries if generator on), gravity shower hung on tree branch, hot water from solar bags etc. Stunning! (you can go QF from SYD too, but had a rugby match to see in AKL first)

Palau, Micronesia - BA to HKG, CO (now UA) to Guam and on to Palau (via the spectacular ruins of Nan Madol in Pohnpei). Palau's well developed, but not overly touristy - amazing diving, snorkelling etc, you've got your manta rays, dugongs, sharks etc (and lakes where you can swim among thousands of non-stinging jellyfish), range of hotel options depending on budget, really friendly locals. Back via CO to Manila for CX leg to HKG

That reminds me, need to work out where I go at Easter - have my flights to SYD booked on OZ (my penultimate DC redemption), Rarotonga is calling

Last edited by lorcancoyle; Aug 25, 12 at 12:27 pm Reason: Missed a bit
Old Aug 25, 12, 11:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by henkybaby View Post
Oh yes. I want to add that one too. If only it was a little closer...
Yes, Sydney harbour is amazing. Outside table at Wolfies Grill, chateaubriand to share wth the Mrs, watching everyone relaxing and having fun, boats coming and going... Bliss.

And done it twice with 241s in F
Old Aug 25, 12, 11:48 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Spire Ambassador, Accor Gold, Avis Preferred, Heathrow Rewards
Originally Posted by 747_not_777 View Post
Yes, Sydney harbour is amazing.
I love the Maritime Museum and the Aquarium. This is HMAS Vampire and HMAS Onslow:

And nearby you have the beautiful Chinese Garden:

And the Luna Park at Milton point:

There is of course also Bondi Beach, but I don't think I should post my pictures of its attractions here.
Old Aug 25, 12, 12:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by MNManInKen View Post
I love the Maritime Museum and the Aquarium.
Me too... Done them both twice as well. The ships are incredible and the aquarium is world class.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: